Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive speed loss on fibre - need help

FIXED
nevgeorge
Dabbler

Massive speed loss on fibre - need help

Having really big problems with my connection, at one point I was getting 32meg download and 10meg plus on upload now Download is barely 5meg and upload has flatlined completely. I'm now thinking of ditching fibre and going back to straight Broadband as I was getting a far better speed than I currently am.

I've done the usual turned off every device around the home using WiFi to see if the speed improves by hard wiring into the router and it makes no difference.

We did have a break in power a few weeks ago but everything seemed fine back then, I get faster speeds on my phone at the moment using 4G.

I can't phone because of waking the ball and chain and tried chat but it's not accessible or busy and is always busy and it's not convenient to call from work.

10 REPLIES 10
nevgeorge
Dabbler

Re: Massive speed loss on fibre - need help

Checked again and still rubbish

recheck.JPG

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Massive speed loss on fibre - need help

Hi there, I've just been looking into this and can see that the connection has been dropping fairly frequently, this is the most likely reason that speeds have been affected too. 

I've just tested the line and have added a reply to the fault ticket on your account suggesting how we can move things forward. 

Here's a direct link: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=184520598 

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nevgeorge
Dabbler

Re: This isn't acceptable (router rebooting for no reason)

Strangely enough I am having drop outs all the time with the new Plusnet Hub One and am glad I haven't thrown the original F2704N that runs through and Openreach modem. I have had to reinstall the F2704N because the new super duper Hub one keeps crashing and rebooting. I had a noisy line and then after a visit from and engineer it was the wire coming into my property causing the noise, that was fixed.

Next day the Hub one turns up and followed the instructions to the letter and even got rid of old settings from the old system off my browser and computer, had up time for about 1 hour before it crashed then it became every five minutes. I use this connection for  both business and leisure and can't be doing with it crashing when updating my accounts online. I'm not impressed either.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Post split from another topic and merged here to keep users posts all in one place to help staff.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @nevgeorge

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear of the drops you're experiencing.

Just to clarify - do you/have you experience(d) drops when using the Hub One? Are these drops occurring via a wifi connection (on either router) or via a wired connection?

I've taken a look at your connection today and there are some physical drops being shown against your line. However, this could be you turning the router off/on or switching the routers over.

Could you confirm how things look on a wired connection over the next 24 hours? If its s

nevgeorge
Dabbler

Hi Dave,

I reconnected the Hub one this morning once the missus went out, she moans about being disconnected, then all the hub one did was drop connection all the time. I tried everything that I could using the trouble shooting guide but the hub either froze or just flashed orange. The hub just keeps rebooting runs for a few minutes to half an hour then reboots, thats with wifi and wired connecting.

I change the DSL cable to a known good one but again drop outs. Disconnected everything except my laptop and still it dropped out, shut down the laptop and used a tablet and it still dropped out. Have reboots and reset the hub that many times I'm surprised it hasn't grown legs and vanished.

I checked the wireless side in the settings and only the 2.5GHz is live the 5GHz refuses to connect, I have two items that will run on the 5GHz band, my laptop and a Samsung tablet but both are backward compatible. I also cleared my browser cache and any previous passwords so there wasn't a conflict.

After a couple of hours I gave up and reinstalled the old router and modem that work without a problem since the line was fixed, ether the hub one is faulty or it doesn't like me or my line.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Fix

Hi @nevgeorge,

Thank you for your detailed report of what's been happening.

On the back of what you describe I'm convinced that the router is at fault here and so I've arranged for a replacement to be sent immediately. You should receive it within the next 3-5 working days.

All we'd ask is that you pop the old one in the pre-paid returns bag and post it to us at your convenience.

Please let us know how you get on.

nevgeorge
Dabbler

Thank you, and I'll let you know how I get on

Nev

nevgeorge
Dabbler

The Hub One was received yesterday, installed and has not dropped connection or shut itself down over the past day and the speed seems stable. The faulty one will be winging its way back to you tomorrow. Thanks very much for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Glad to hear the new router is working well. Thumbs_Up

Let us know if you need any further assistance at all.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet