cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive speed drops in the evening

stevebezzer
Grafter

Re: Massive speed drops in the evening

Thanks but I’ve already tried changing DNS it makes no difference.
abbiati50
Grafter

on my case if can be of any help to anybody; changed dns this morning with opendns and look much better

i can say look like my problem is related to the dns; having said that i hope it keep up as is now without any evening deteriorated speed.

stevebezzer
Grafter

Week 3 still the same issue, Plusnet blame BT, BT blame Plusnet it’s pathetic! BT have been out 3 times! Plusnet admit it’s an issue on their end one day then backtrack the next. I told a CS team member that this is the worst company I’ve had to deal with only to have a cocky response of “huh, right!” No apologies for the poor service from day one. Luckily I have 3 different branded spare routers in my draw , I’ve tried all of them tonight, factory reset fresh installs and they all read the same low speed! I contact Plusnet with the results just to prove it isn’t my equipment as I’ve never had an issue before, and they reply back with “Here’s some simple tips if you are experiencing slow speeds” I may as well bang my head against a wall! My neighbour informed me today that his does the same on BT, coincidence? I think not! Plusnet just don’t even care its a great attitude to have towards a new customer. Minimum effort to do anything.
abbiati50
Grafter

You might suffer Reim wifi signal disruption
I can say there is no throttle of speed at my end but from 7 pm i have to connect to ethernet cable and speed is stable all day no drops any more
That confirm a wifi signal disruption
There was a dns issue i resolved by changing dns
Sure if speed is slow also with ethernet cable than is a different matter
stevebezzer
Grafter

Nothing to do with WiFi these speeds are all tested directly through Ethernet.
stevebezzer
Grafter

Just been told now by a customer service advisor that the 30day agreement to sort out any technical issue doesn’t count now due to COVID. This is certainly not legal? And new information I’ve been told today because time is running out I’m on week 3! How can they get away with that? I’m still on the phone now! What a horrible company.
stevebezzer
Grafter

So here we are again, works perfectly in the morning then around 6:15pm the problems begin again! Peak time bottleneck! D42C9E39-3ADF-46D7-8424-22DBE1EEA346.jpeg

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@stevebezzer 

I am not surprised you see a download speed that is low in the evening, I have had that.

This in all probability is congestion, and is not under the control of any ISP.

I continuously get drops in throughput on my continuous 24/7 monitoring system.

However, how are you doing these speed tests?, via wifi or wired?

More importantly, what is your speed from your hub to the cabinet.

Perhaps you could get the statistics from the helpdesk option within your plusnet hub, and publish it here?

You could also request a GEA test and publish it here so more learned beings than me can make an assessment?

stevebezzer
Grafter

I’m meant to get a minimum of 26mb I had none of these issues with Talktalk 4 weeks ago and the 12 years previous that I was with them for. So I’m not sure that it’s not a fault with the ISP at all. All my tests are wired tests, with everything unplugged. I’ve tried 3 different branded routers and they all come out with the same low readings. BT are claiming it’s Plusnet’s fault. Plusnet admit there’s an issue then backtrack so now they are listening to recorded conversations I have had with them cause one person says one thing and another person says another. Since activation this has been going on! I’ve given them all my readings every single day. They have a massive list of everything going on but still don’t get in contact or seem to want to rectify the issue. All I want is a stable connection, if the minimum promised speed is 26mb it should never be dripping down to 3 on an evening. It’s unusable at that level
stevebezzer
Grafter

83D4DAAE-F813-4ADD-B470-79EAFECC60CB.jpegI know Plusnet don’t really care and are happily taking my money but I’ll still persist so Ofcom have something to look at. Here’s my current speed right now. Completely unacceptable. Three different routers reporting the same problem through a wired connection! If Plusnet actually got someone out at the times that this was happening rather than during the day when it’s ok they might actually be able to solve the problem. But that would be too simple

stevebezzer
Grafter

So here’s the latest and I urge anyone having these issues to report Plusnet. I have now moved back to TalkTalk I’m using all the same equipment, it was activated last Friday and I’ve had zero drops completely stable for 7days. I was told by BT that it was my router as they couldn’t see an issue - wrong! Plusnet blamed the box outside and the ports - wrong! The issue was never resolved with Plusnet and it’s clear as day it’s down to their infrastructure. Like I said all my equipment that they tried to blame is working flawlessly like it was before I joined and is after I’ve left! One BT technician said that Plusnet’s servers are incapable of handling the load of so many customers which is why the speed is capped on an evening. I’ve had first hand experience of this, now I’m getting a full stable 32mb 24/7 with a different supplier so if you are having similar issues don’t be fobbed off by inaccurate information.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@stevebezzer   Is your new contract with Talk Talk on an LLU enabled exchange by any chance? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stevebezzer
Grafter

It’s on exactly the same exchange as Plusnet we’re using, nothing has changed just the supplier
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@stevebezzer 

Your issues is similar to one I had a while ago.

No change in equipment

Sync speed - stable

Attenuation - stable

Signal to Noise stable

GEA - nothing unusual other than crosstalk.

PN said an engineer was required, I refused the request.

PN stated the VLAN was not hot

PN stated the backhaul was sufficient

PN requested more BT speed tests, which I agreed to do that evening, but

lo and behold the problem disappeared.

PN never supplied a reason for this, and I got the distinct impression that they really didn't comprehend the problem.

Glad you got it sorted.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@stevebezzer wrote:
It’s on exactly the same exchange as Plusnet we’re using, nothing has changed just the supplier

Unless you've moved house, it would be the same exchange. The point is - does TT have  LLU equipment in it?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)