cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive speed drops in the evening

stevebezzer
Grafter

Massive speed drops in the evening

I’ve switched over from Talktalk to Plusnet and am fully regretting the decision. At no point did my internet connection drop speed with talktalk, now around 8pm time my speed drops from 30mb to 6mb...completely unacceptable. My wife works for the NHS and is having to work from home on an evening and it’s causing major issues, thanks Plusnet! You promised that you never cap speeds and that my guaranteed minimum speed is 26mb. Never had issues like this before, a week ago my internet was working fine with a different provider. I’m completely disappointed with this service. I never thought I’d say this but I want to return to TalkTalk.

Numerous restarts and still the same issue.
50 REPLIES 50
stevie5141
Dabbler

Re: Massive speed drops in the evening

Your speed problem will be due to the contention ratio, the cabinet you connect to will likely not have the available bandwidth to cope with everyone working/streaming from home.

They wont tell you this because they've oversold the bandwidth many times over...... Good luck getting ignored by plusnet for your problem!

stevebezzer
Grafter

Luckily I’m still in the cooling off period. How come this didn’t happen when I was with Talktalk I only left them last week
stevie5141
Dabbler

Depends on infrastructure …. My company run a 10Gbps backbone but we sell 1Gbps ISP multiple times over as normally the traffic levels are at most 7Gbps … But when everyone is using bandwidth all the time you get found out …. standard practice... I actually don't blame them for doing it if that's whats happened … would rather they just be honest and not try and fob people off.

Normal symptoms we see when we max the bandwidth are … Speed drops, latency and drop outs... Sound familiar.? Latency is the biggest giveaway

And 10Gbps will be nothing compared to the big companies are shifting ….

stevebezzer
Grafter

Might have to return to talktalk then, what a farce.
KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @stevebezzer,

Sorry to hear of the problems with your broadband.

I can see that you have now raised a fault online but would ask that you run through our troubleshooting steps here. Getting your router connected into the test socket for the time being as shown here.

Also can you confirm the speeds that you are receiving over a wired connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@stevie5141, whilst I can't rule out BT Wholesale/cabinet contention, Plusnet's backhaul is more than adequately provisioned to deal with peak time demand, current crisis considered.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stevebezzer
Grafter

Those speeds are through a wired connection. I’ve already done all the steps suggested. Doesn’t make any difference speed is capped and fluctuates on an evening.
KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Thanks for your reply @stevebuzzer

I've completed a test on your line and can confirm that the downstream sync rate is current 32.3Mbps, which is above the MGALS. No faults have been identified and the broadband has remained stable.

Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
stevebezzer
Grafter

I love that.. I’ve made a mistake moving to your company. What time did I say the drops happened? I’m getting normal speeds then at around 8pm they drop rapidly don’t you read what the issues are. Yesterday I spoke to someone and they said there’s an issue on the line cause they can see the pattern and I should wait for the engineer to contact me on Monday because there looks to be an external issue then you tell me there’s no faults?? Unbelievable and a really bad start on your end for a new customer. I’ll certainly be writing a Trustpilot review about this.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

As per Katie's test, no fault has been found. I've also checked for contention in your area and not found any issues. The whole exchange is showing 'green' which is good. Under usual circumstances, we'd contact our supplier to see if there is further information available but the relevant department isn't open at the moment. Assuming we can't get hold of them after the weekend, we would need to investigate the speed fault as we usually would.

Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
stevebezzer
Grafter

This is unbelievable do you not listen? Around 8pm I get a huge drop in speed 30mb down to 6 why don’t you test it at that time? I had zero issues with TalkTalk as soon as you took over speed capping started. Run a test at 9pm and tell me it’s all good. Unless the engineers have sorted the issue out today. Why would you call centre team confirm there’s an issue? Another example of bad CS and not listening to what the customers issue is. If you read the post properly then issues might be sorted quicker
stevebezzer
Grafter

Test it now my speed has dropped 3mb and it’ll plummet by 8pm
stevebezzer
Grafter

Test it now it’s dropped 7mb now I’m getting 23mb and it still keeps going
stevebezzer
Grafter

You should definitely test it now I’m down to 10mb