Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive speed drop today

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Massive speed drop today

For some reason my line has dropped from 60Mb to 40Mb today, with a pitiful  4Mb up.

Test done just now.

Tried calling but 15 min wait.

21 REPLIES 21
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Massive speed drop today

Hi HairyMcbiker,

Was that test over WiFi or ethenet?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Julian-L

I was hit today as well, but not my download speed, my upload was trashed. Yesterday I was getting 40Mb down 7Mb up, from today I'm getting 40Mb down 0.05Mb up! I did the online chat and was promised a call back, still waiting... have disconnected all other devices and the PC is connected to the router with CAT6.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there @HairyMcbiker

Sorry to hear you're having speed problems. Whilst I've just been testing your line, and I can see one of my colleagues has picked up your fault ticket and he'll contact you shortly as it's likely we'll need to arrange an engineer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Julian-L - Sorry to hear your upload speed is low. Testing your line isn't identifying any problems, is it possible to try a different device via Ethernet just to narrow down where the issue could be?

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
HairyMcbiker
All Star

@adamwalker all my tests are done via ethernet never wifi unless I am testing a unit out.
@Gandalf yes since no one answered me over the w/e I retried logging it on chat, had started on Sunday buy the chat window hung at the start.

I normally get 60+Mb and 20Mb up, now it is lock at 40Mb and <5Mb down.
This is only since Friday, and on Friday OR was working at the fibre cabinet, coincidence maybe,
TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Hi HairyMcbiker, We sent you a ticket at 14.27 today in relation to this enquiry, can you check this and then reply so that we can take this further for you.

Julian-L

Good evening

Yes I was told the same today by the plusnet support team, they did line checks etc and reported everything was fine.  It still isn't  I am getting 41Mb down and 0.03Mb upload.  I have tried testing the connection over ethernet on my PC and my laptop and over wireless on my mobile, they all report the same so it's not a cable or a PC problem.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Julian-L which site were you testing at, and have you logged into the router and seen what the sync and max attainable speeds are?

Julian-L

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Firmware version:    Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226
Data rate:    9970 / 43874
Maximum data rate:    9969 / 43488
Noise margin:    5.7 / 3.6
Line attenuation:    34.6 / 22.8
Signal attenuation:    34.3 / 20.4

So it looks like I can get 9Mb up which is about normal for my connection but something has changed to trash my upload to 0.03Mb.  Have tried resetting and restarting the router to no effect.

Julian-L

I should also add that the results I got were taken when my router was connected directly to the master socket test port, connected to my laptop using ethernet.  I have also tried my old BT homehub 5 and this got the same results/

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I have answered the ticket.
However I DID not receive ANY calls from PN.
I am unable to accept any charges on this I am on a fixed low income and cannot afford to loose £65.
TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi HairyMcbiker, The £65 engineers charge only applies If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, then you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice  - if a fault is found or something not covered above then there would be no charge, taking this into account are you willing to accept the charge if it is one of the above safe in the knowledge that if it is a fault you will have nothing to pay. -Tony.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TonyMC - What does this:

, the condition of your property ...

actually mean?

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mook, it can but not exclusively mean something like how the broadband signal travels through the house, is it thin walls like new houses have or thicker walls in older houses, there can be many different things, the engineer would advise you at the time if it was for this particular reason.