Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive speed drop since Saturday

FIXED
scifiste
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Massive speed drop since Saturday

Since Saturday my Fibre broadband speed which is usually around 35-38 mb/s on the 40/10 profile dropped to 2mb/s, then varied between 2 and 12mb/s whenever i tested it ovder the following days.

The router is synced at 39.95 mb/s.

I went through the troubleshooter and raised a fault on 17th, Plusnet then stated there was a fault with my broadband.

Fault question was 176946788.

Since then i have had no contact from plusnet and my speed is still rubbish.

8 REPLIES 8
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Massive speed drop since Saturday

Thank you for raising this to us @scifiste and I apologise for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you.

I've taken a look into this issue now and raised a response to you concerning the fault on the open fault ticket which can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
scifiste
Hooked

My router is now connected to the test socket and everything else disconnected. As expected it has made absolutely no difference to the speeds, i am currently getting between 2 and 3 mb/s. I will leave it connected like this so you can carry out more tests even though it is very inconvenient location and i have no landline connection now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@scifiste there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to plug your home phone into the microfilter that's plugged into the test socket.

Line tests are passing now and we're not finding the cause of the problem.

Assuming you're testing via an ethernet connection, I think the next step is to try another router. Are you using your own or the one we sent you?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
scifiste
Hooked

I am using the plusnet hub one that you sent me.

scifiste
Hooked

I have tested the speed with both ethernet and wireless and got very similar results.

Before last saturday i would max out the connection when connected by ethernet and get 37-38mb/s at all times when i checked.

If i was close enough to the router i would max out the connection on wireless as well.

When i was with BT previously (a couple of years ago) i was on the higher level fibre and was getting 45-52mb/s on my line, when i joined plusnet to save money i dropped down to the lower tier and my speeds were maximum allowed for that profile since then until lately.

Nothing has changed in my home since i started with plusnet.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for confirming. I'm sending you a replacement to try which you should receive within the next few days. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
scifiste
Hooked

Fix

I installed the new router last night and the speeds have been consistently above 34mb/s.

However the day before changing the router i was also getting consistent results above that, so i dont know if the router has fixed the problem or it was just a coincidence.

I did notice that at the times my speeds were varying a lot prior to changing the router my IP address was reported as BT Americas and 24hrs prior to changing it with more consistent speeds it was reported as BT.

Since the new router was started i have been on a BT address not BT Americas and the speeds are consistently more normal.

So the problem may be fixed or not, i guess i will have to wait until i am assigned one of the dreaded BT Americas IP addresses to double check.

I have moved everything back to where it was before the issues started and it is working ok now, so i gues you can consider it solved for now.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for getting back to us, anything related to the geo-location of an IP shouldn't have any direct impact on connection speeds so I'm wondering if this is more due to the new router being used. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team