cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive drop in speed

psheraton
Grafter

Massive drop in speed

Since I rearranged my TV and moved my plusnet router to the other side of my lounge.  I had to install a 10 Meter telephone extension cable .  Which I suspect is the problem.

However how am I supposed to move my router without using an extension cable?

Why is this technology so poor compare to Virgin Media.

If I ran a Virgin Media coaxial cable to the other side of my room I know for that fact it would not impact the signal.

Also I believe there is a problem with my master socket as I was getting lots of drop outs but since I plugged the cable in to the master socket the drop outs have stopped.  BT installed it so how do I prove to them there is a fault?

Why is this SDSL technology just as poor as it was 10 years ago!

Cheers

Paul

11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Massive drop in speed

Hi Paul, 

It all depends on why you'd want to move your router.

If it's a case that all your devices connect over WiFi but are having issues with signal strength then looking at changing the channel it connects to would be a good idea. 

Alternatively if you need to move it closer to a device that connects over LAN you could leave the router where it is and use a longer LAN cable or maybe powerline adaptors could be something that might help. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
psheraton
Grafter

Hi Adam, thanks for trying to help but I work in IT, I needed to move the router as all of my devices need an Ethernet connection. I don't use WiFi for my TV or my You view Box or my PS4 as WiF as WIFI will never be as good as an Ethernet cable you will always get packet loss on even the best Wifi.

In my experience wall plug adapters are just as unreliable with high pack loss.

My question was more directly does BT recommend using extension cables ?

Or do I have to pay BT £120 to move my master socket?Huh

Cheers

Paul S

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@psheraton wrote:

However how am I supposed to move my router without using an extension cable?

Quite simple really,

Use an RJ11 cable rather than a telephone extension cable.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Proper telephone cables are typically two or three, twisted pairs of wires.

All cables will pick up some electromagnetic noise (from switched mode PSUs, TV's, lights etc). The twisting of the cables results in each wire (in the pair) being identically affected by the noise. When the noise is identical it can be cancelled out in the modem by subtracting one wires noise from the other wires noise.

Telephone extension cables often have a flat cross section and the the cable pairs are not twisted.

A lack of cable twist results in different  levels of noise in each wire so the subtraction of noise is not as effective.

An increase in noise will slow VDSL broadband down, sometimes dramatically so.

psheraton
Grafter

Hi Richard

Interesting read why don't they make telephone cable in twisted pairs?

Is this why we are saying to use an RJ11 cable as it has a twisted pair?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@psheraton  Have a look at My Mate Vince's videos for better ways to extend your VDSL cable and understand how to get the best speeds.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

The free RJ11 to RJ11 cables supplied with modems are not twisted. There are some twisted leads on eBay.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Meter-Cat5e-Modem-cable-ADSL2-VDSL-RJ11-Twisted-Pair-lead-High-speed-Broa...

When I extended my modem lead I used cat 5 Ethernet cable to a fixed RJ11 socket.

Despite what I wrote about twisted pair cable. It will not cure all ills. If the modem/router is placed next to TV equipment etc the modem can be affected by noise.

When I first got adsl broadband @ 512 kbits. I placed the modem under a shelf which supported the computer CRT monitor. I found the modem would loose synch every time I turned the monitor on. I realised it was due to interference from the degaussing coil. I moved the modem 1 metre away and it no longer happened.
psheraton
Grafter

I am going to get a quote from a local sparky to move the socket or correctly wire up an Rj11.

psheraton
Grafter

Spoke to soon I will have a look at this tonight!  I would rather get my telephone line working as if I was just to leave PlusNet and go to a new provider it would not fix the root cause Smiley

psheraton
Grafter

So I bought a 10 meter RJ11 cable off Ebay (twisted pair) and same problem if I used this cable my download drops from about 30MB to 15MB, how did you use an ethernet cable?

psheraton
Grafter

ignore the above I just done another speed test it is showing 25MB download ..so I will keep an eye on it