Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive Speed drop and now stuck after doing all the diagnosis and tests

FIXED
chris-w
Grafter

Massive Speed drop and now stuck after doing all the diagnosis and tests

Just noticed that things seemed to be quite sluggish so did a quick speed test to discover my previous 70mbps seems to have dropped to 19.5mbps. Ping is 6ms and upload still seems good at 18.5mbps

This fibre line is only a few weeks old and I'm pretty confused as to the sudden drop off. I have reset my modem and router but nothing is improving. Is someone at Plusnet able to give it a look for me ?

screenshot-www.speedtest.net-2018.10.16-17-40-05.jpg

16 REPLIES 16
chris-w
Grafter

Re: Massive Speed drop

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com is showing the same but the diagnostics is diplaying:

Test Error
The Tap1 test was not conclusive for your broadband connection. However if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider

I should be getting the following speeds (as I was when I was first connected some weeks ago now)

bt checker.jpg

chris-w
Grafter

Managed to get the BT Wholesale page working and got this.

wholesale.jpg

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @chris-w,

Sorry you've been having problems.

I've had a look at the account and it looks like the fibre speed profile had returned itself to the pre-fibre state of ADSL2+ max 20M which has resulted in your speed issues.

I've fixed this for you and the speed should revert to the correct fibre speeds almost instantaneously. If it hasn't improved in about half an hour just give your router a quick reboot and that should update it for you. 

chris-w
Grafter

@JOLO thanks for that. I'll give it 30 minutes, reboot my router and check it again.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fix

@chris-w,

No worries, let me know how you get on. 

chris-w
Grafter

@JOLO You nailed it. I am now back to downloading at over 70mbps. Thumbs_Up

While I was talking to support this morning they advised me they were sending out an engineer to check in to the issue that you managed to resolve in a matter of minutes.. Could you please get that cancelled ? Crazy2

plusnet.jpg

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@chris-w,

Brilliant to hear!

It's an interesting one because I actually think that fault is valid having just looked at it. It's actually auto raised to BT Wholesale because the line test failed when the agent you spoke to was testing your connection. 

It failed because your VLAN is hot (the network is congested) and normally when this test fails on a circuit it would generally always cause speed issues, so they've just assumed this is what has caused your problem. 

Obviously it hasn't, but I think eventually it would. So if it's okay with you I want to leave that fault open so they can move you onto a different VLAN to make sure that doesn't cause you problems down the line. 

chris-w
Grafter

Ok that sounds fine Smiley I know I am literally the first person to have VDSL on that cabinet as it only went live very recently and I managed to catch the engineer while we has connecting me to it. I wonder if congestion was at cabinet or exchange level Huh

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@chris-w

Well it seems like every one else has decided to get connected to the same cab! It should be resolved in a couple of days hopefully, even though it isn't negatively affecting you. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@chris-w This all sounds a bit wrong, What fault has been raised by PlusNet?  A hot SVLAN is congestion at exchange level on the backhaul links so nothing to do with the cabinet. I doubt that that type of problem would be detected by a line test. Also it would not be fixed by an engineer visit to your property. If PlusNet have arranged a visit I would cancel it or you may get charged when no fault is found.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @chris-w,

Just an update on that fault they've moved you to a different VLAN with a lower utilisation so any fallout that would have happened from that issue should now not happen, if that makes sense.

@RealAleMadrid, We weren't sending an engineer, but the agent that chris-w looks to have gotten confused by a few things, the account profile changing and the line test failing. 

Best practice for hot VLANs is to always raise a fault. It allows tracking and monitoring to make sure VLAN changes go through correctly, and monitoring any fallout that might occur once the change completes. 

chris-w
Grafter

@JOLO I seem to have reverted back to the sub 20mbps connection Embarrassed why does this keep on happening?

chris-w
Grafter

@JOLO I noticed that my 'Current line speed' has now been bumped up to 78 Mb again and the problem is resolved. Why does it keep dropping to around 20? 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @chris-w,

I've tested your line and I can see that you're currently achieving a downstream sync rate of 79.9Mbps and there's no signs of a fault currently existing. When the speed drops down, are you connecting via Wi-Fi or through an Ethernet cable? In addition to this, is the router currently setup within the master phone socket or an extension socket?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team