Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major issue

mb31uk
Hooked

Major issue

Hi all.
I've been with Plusnet for about 9 years at a previous house and never had one issue.

I moved and went with Plusnet broadband expecting the same service.

The guaranteed speed hasn't been met which is disappointing.

But the bigger issue is the Internet keeps dropping out every 15 - 20 minutes which is causing me issues when trying to work from home!

I've plugged the router cable into the bt master socket and it continues to be an issue.
It sometimes says there is an authentication error on the mobile device and then needs to be reconnected.

I'm not impressed with this service to the point of it not meeting the contractual requirements.

Any ideas before I seek to cancel.

9 REPLIES 9
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Major issue

Hi there @mb31uk

I'm sorry to hear you've recently been having issues with your service.

Looking at your connection we aren't seeing any issues or drops :

http://visualradius.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image15696686933430.png

You mention an authentication issue on your mobile. Is it only on wireless devices that you're seeing problems?

If so it may be you're experiencing wifi interference in your area.

You might want to take a look at our troubleshooting guides here.

It's also a good idea, if you're only noticing problems on wireless devices, to connect with a wired (Ethernet) connection and see if you're still experiencing issues with your speed and connectivity.

I hope this helps, but let us know if you're still having problems and we'll investigate further.

mb31uk
Hooked

Hello.

Thank you for the advice.

The issue persists.

I have logged into the router and see a lot of connections and disconnections.
ath10: STA 0a:80:63:a2:5d:ed IEEE 802.11: Client associated

is the main culprit.

Please advise how to proceed. The issue is wireless and not due to interference. The wireless doesnt disconnect it just looses connectivity.

Regards

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Are you using any Apple devices? 

I ask as if you are you'd benefit from splitting out one of the two wireless bands (i.e 2.4ghz and 5ghz) you can do that by changing the SSID of one of them from the router settings: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

Please let us know how you get on. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mb31uk
Hooked

Hi Adam.

There are a couple of apple phones connected that's all.

I have now split the 2.4 and 5ghz and renamed the ssid.

The 2.4 appears stable now and didn't drop out last night.

The 5ghz is still slow to connect and use if I connect to it using my android phone in the same room as the router.

Any suggestions please?
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @mb31uk,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm pleased to see you have some stability on the 2.4 GHz frequency. It's difficult to say what could be causing the slow pickup on your Android phone on the 5GHz frequency. Does this happen with the same phone on 2.4 GHz?

Thanks - LF

mb31uk
Hooked

Hi LF

I used my android phone to connect to the 2.4 which seems fine now I'm pleased to say.

I then connected to the separated 5ghz and it was very slow to connect and display the page which I was surprised about.

This happens when I am 2 feet away from the router.

I will try again now and see if its the same.

Looking at the flowchart on the router there isn't anything else connected to the 5ghz.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

No worries, @mb31uk.

Let us know how that goes.

Thanks - LF

mb31uk
Hooked

OK so I can't connect to the 5ghz becuase my honor 8x won't dual WiFi apparently.

So tried my partners galaxy S10 and that won't connect to the 5ghz and just says can't connect to the network

Any ideas

Cheers
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @mb31uk, I am sorry for the issues you're having with using the 5GHz frequency. A temporary workaround for this would be to disable the 5GHz frequency and only use the 2.4GHz. In the meantime, if you could please send us over the answers to the following, it will help our products team to investigate and try replicate the issue

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

2. When did the problem start?

3. What firmware version are you running and when was it last updated (this info is in the footer of the router config pages)?

4. What devices do you have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless? *Please provide as much details as possible, with specific model names/numbers where possible*

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use? *Again, please provide as much detail as possible*

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment. *Once more, please provide as much detail as possible*

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

8. Has you tried factory resetting? (if not, please try this... just to note this will put any changed settings back to default)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team