Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Plusnet issues

FIXED
Oliverst14
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Major Plusnet issues

So Plusnet are really starting to annoy me. In the last 2 weeks I have called them 4 times and not once I have I managed to get hold of a single person. 3 times the line has gone completely dead and once I was on hold for over 2hrs and gave up. I decided to give chat a go today as not getting anywhere and spoke to 3 people all of which said they were the wrong department even though I'd explained the issue to each of them. They finally put me in a queue to get to tech support and that also cut off. Iv tried to re access this service but keep getting error messages.

This is absolutely disgraceful customer service

So onto my actual issue -

I recently upgraded to fibre 72mb service, when I started the upgrade I had an email saying the order had started but have heard nothing since. I posted on here some time last week and was informed that the router had been sent out although didn't receive any emails telling me about this.

I waited and sure enough the router arrived 2 days later.

When the router arrived I plugged in as my internet speed on my old router had gone from around 12mbps to around 1mbps. Plugging the new router in has made no difference and the line fluctuates between around 6 to as low as .5 it's terrible.

I'm trying to find out what's going on but Plusnet's customer service centre is amazingly bad. Can anyone shed some light on what happening with this issue and why customer service is so terrible.
25 REPLIES 25
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Major Plusnet issues

No one from plusnet seams to want to admit that customer service is garbage now, i dont know why its going downhill because it used to be really good.

Oliverst14
Dabbler

It's absolutely diabolical. Can't speak to anyone except for if you ring new orders and you get a representative straight away
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Yes because getting more customers on board is priority over customers needing help these days.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Good Evening, 

I'm sorry that you didn't get through on the phone, I've checked your account and it seems our system sent the activation message slightly too soon, the engineer is due to visit your local cabinet(green box) at some point tomorrow, once this is done you will get the full speeds your line can handle, I have made a change on our side to bring your current speeds back up to normal too.

If you could restart your router things should improve immediately

Oliverst14
Dabbler

It's a disgrace and if this carries on I'll be cancelling my direct debit and sending them a letter of contractual cancellation. Shockingly bad
Oliverst14
Dabbler

Why on earth have you slowed my connection down in the first place?
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The connection profile on our side was automatically lowered based on a report we receive about your line from BT Wholesale, this is lowered to match what your line is physically getting as raising this higher will cause connection issues and a very poor browsing experience, the closer these numbers, the better experience you should get.

I've manually moved this up after testing your line to ensure you get the most speed you can get out of the physical line, once the engineer has done his work tomorrow, you'll be getting the much higher fibre speeds without issue

Oliverst14
Dabbler

I appreciate this however this doesn't explain why before I was getting acceptable 12 Mbps and now only 1 Mbps
Oliverst14
Dabbler

Also I have restarted the router and the speed test shows 2.4mbps
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting me know about that, I'm going to run some further tests to rule out any potential faults that could be causing other issues.

I'll be back here shortly with an update

Oliverst14
Dabbler

Thank you Paul
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've ran some more tests and can't see any obvious issues, your line is syncing at a good rate and your phone line tests fine too, I've popped a message to a colleague who's in our tech support team for him to have a look over things too however with the Fibre going ahead tomorrow, this may correct any issues and if it doesn't, it will make it much easier to diagnose knowing what's changed and what has stayed the same.

I will get him to send you an email via your account if he finds anything or I will send one if he responds to me directly, I'll keep an eye on the Fibre order too to ensure that works goes ahead and you get connected tomorrow without any issues on that.

As to what originally caused the issue, I can't be 100% certain as the reports are not live at the point we make the change so it could have sent us a speed report from when you had another issue and it expected lower speeds, as soon as I know more I'll make sure you do via this thread and emails to your account

Oliverst14
Dabbler

Thanks for the update. Currently the line is crazy one minute it's 6 and the next it's 1. Iv posted a pic showing a speed test result.

I am carrying this out on wifi so before this is brought into question I have a laptop running too and have carried out both the bt wholesale test and this test on the pc connected via Ethernet directly to the modem with pretty similar results. I am posting this on the phone because of ease of screenshot

It's been like this for around 3 weeks now. I could really do with a fix ASAP. I appreciate fibre is getting sorted tomorrow however I have doubts this will resolve the issue as I'm supposed to be getting 5 times the speed I am currently receiving so why would increasing the speed your sending me improve things
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

thanks for the information and the picture, believe me it makes things easier for both me and you to have any information we can get.

If the issue is some kind of physical one however, the fibre change could make a difference as the current copper from exchange to cabinet is replaced by Fibre, the part that stays the same is the copper from cabinet to your home, if there are still issues then that rules out the copper from cab to exchange and makes getting it fixed a bit easier.

we'll only know tomorrow if that changes anything but hopefully it does and things can get back to normal for you, if not then we can push things down a fault route and get someone to your door to check further Smiley