cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Drop in download speed when gaming

hazardcaution

Major Drop in download speed when gaming

evening all,

I'm having major issues with my broadband speed when gaming, i'm on the fibre plus package i do get 70mbps on a wired connection but playing wired is not an option for me because my master socket is in a ridiculous place.

i accept that i get 40mpbs on wifi but as soon as i open a game it drops to 0.72mbps, i've been trying for weeks to fix this issue but can't find the problem.

My Computer specs are as follows - CPU: Intel Core i7 @ 3.70GHz, RAM: 16.0GB, Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING, GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti.

things i have tried is powerline adapters - bought several makes and wouldnt work to be told my house is that old none will work. turn off firewall to make sure it wasn't any firewall settings, turned off anti virus, tried port forwarding the game, tried to get a local engineer to move the master socket but living in a small seaside town none were qualified or willing to do it. Tried changing channels. made sure all drivers were updated. 

Its driving me insane and i can't game or find a fix if anyone has some advice on anything to try it would be greatly appreciated, i have also attached a speed test screenshot of before i open a game and after the game is open where you can see its a huge drop.

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Major Drop in download speed when gaming

Welcome to the forum.

Rather than move the master socket, if you are not good at diy wiring then get some-one to run a Cat 5e Ethernet cable between your router, which should stay next to the master socket and the room where you do your gaming. You could follow the same route as would have been used to move the master socket. There are two options here, either fixed wiring with wall sockets for a professional job, or you can just buy an Ethernet cable ready terminated. Both options are available if you do an Internet search.

Having done this either connect the Ethernet cable to your gaming device, or if you want wireless buy a Wireless Access Point and plug the Ethernet cable into this. Obviously you then connect your gaming device to the WAP.

If you fancy doing the wiring yourself and need more advice then come back here.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Major Drop in download speed when gaming

Hi @hazardcaution 

You may want to look at running an Ethernet cable from the router to the console/pc, as @Baldrick1 says. 

It's good to know that you get a 70Mbps speed on a wired connection. 

You may also want to try looking through our Wireless Diagnostic info here

Let us know what you decide to do. 

Thanks, 

MoR