Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacBook Pro keeps dropping WiFi Plusnet hub one

mikep72
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

MacBook Pro keeps dropping WiFi Plusnet hub one

After the massive Plusnet problems last week I have been struggling to connect my mid 2010 MacBook Pro to WiFi. It works for a couple of a days then keeps failing to connect. I then have to restart my router then it works ok for a couple of day then the problems starts again. All other devices (phones, MacBook Air etc) connects without a problem. I have tried the MacBook Pro on other WiFi networks no problem. I have reformatted the hard drive and assigned it a static IP address all resulting in the same result. Is there anything else I can do? Please help. Thanks. It’s auto assigned to 5ghz network.
4 REPLIES 4
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: MacBook Pro keeps dropping WiFi Plusnet hub one

Have you tried splitting 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi networks, and renaming 5 ghz wifi network? 

I believe other macbook owners have reported similar symptoms in the past.

Adv.Setting-Wireless-5GHz.jpg

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

Then connect the macbook to either 2.4 or 5 GHz to see if it makes a difference.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
mikep72
Dabbler

Thanks I will give that a go. It has defaulted to 5ghz so I will put it on 2.4ghz.
mikep72
Dabbler

Are the apple devices that have defaulted to the 5 ghz network to put them on the 2.4 ghz network? I have also noticed that my iPhone doesn't pick up wificalling since switching over to the new hub, will putting this on the 2.4 fix this as well?

Thanks in advance. 

RG58

Since getting my first MacbookPro last week (early 2011 model) I have looked into this at length.  As advised above, I have split my WiFi networks into 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  The Macbook now connects to the 2.4Ghz but will not connect to 5Ghz – get the same invalid password message as other users. 

I believe it is a WPA problem with the router as similar BT router users report the same issue.  To prove it, I briefly set the 5Ghz password to none and the Macbook connected immediately.

Therefore, I have now made the Macbook “forget” the 5Ghz and only allow it to connect to 2.4Ghz.

As for the IPhone problem, when you say “WiFi Calling” are you referring to the EE WiFi calling or Apple’s “Calls on other devices”?  If it is the later, I have discovered that you need to make sure the Apple devices you want to share calls on are all connected to the same WiFi network.  IPhone 5 and above can connect to 5Ghz but I am not sure about IPads, but you need to make each device forget either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network so that they are all on the same one.

The above is all very well for use at home but absolutely no use for someone trying to use their Mac at a different location using a BT or Plusnet Hub.  I think that BT/Plusnet really need to get their finger out on this one.  One can read numerous complaints to Apple about this issue but in my mind, it is BT/Plusnet at fault as it is only their routers that seem to have this issue.  Surely a firmware patch should have been issued by now to resolve it.  However, I assume that they will blame Apple as it is only their machines that don't work with this particular router.  End result being no one ends up taking responsibility to fix it!