Did you mean: 

MTU Setting

FIXED
Staro
Grafter
Fixes: 1

MTU Setting

Good morning afternoon,

Can I ask is the MTU something that's set on the line by Plusnet ?

My Hub One and Home Hub 5 seem to have an MTU of 1488 which appears to be the reason I'm having the following error over the Playstation Network "The router in use may not support IP Fragments..." in turn giving me a connection error when trying to get online with certain games.

Would buying a replacement Modem/Router with the ability to set the MTU to 1492 likely fix this does anyone know ?

75 REPLIES 75
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: MTU Setting

not all routers / modems give the option to set the MTU so don't worry about that, you can set it via the Playstation 3 / 4 which ever your using, go to settings then network and pick manual setup instead of Automatic keep everything on defaults when you get to the MTU change it to 1492,  that should do the trick. 

Staro
Grafter

Thank you for replying.

I should have mentioned I've tried manually changing the MTU to 1492 (and most other values) across PS3/PS4/PS Vita but unfortunately it doesn't get rid of the error message or the issues when trying to connect to certain games.

Terranova667
Pro

HI ok try setting the MTU via Windows command Prompt

Run Command prompt as Administrator ( type Cmd in windows search if you don't know how to get to it )

in the black box that appears type the following for a Wired Connection

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1492 store=persistent

then press Enter it should say OK

for a Wireless connection type the following

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1492 store=persistent

Then Press Enter it should say OK

exit the command prompt by typing exit then reboot the PC test on PS3 etc and see if that does it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried determining the maximum MTU that doesn't give fragmentation ?

There are lots of instructions on the internet to do this, but here's a typical procedure -

DSLReports - Max MTU: How do I find mine?

The important thing is to find the value that works for your router, and not be overly concerned about achieving 1492.  For years I had routers that optimally worked with MTU or 1430 or 1458 with no detrimental effects.

First find the maximum MTU for your connection, and set and save that value in the router config.

Reboot the router, and test the connection with the new/lower MTU, and make sure it isn't fragmenting.

Reboot the PS4 and see whether the original error message persists.

If it does, then manually set the PS4 MTU to the same value that you just put in to the router.

DO NOT be tempted to put a higher MTU in the PS4 than what the router is set to.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The MTU setting in the PS needs to be the same or less than that of the router.

Try a setting of 1488 or is there a automatic setting?

Anonymous
Not applicable

DO NOT try forcing the MTU to 1492 as "Terranova667" is suggesting !

THAT IS WRONG !

Staro
Grafter

For a wired connection it says Element not found

Terranova667
Pro

Why is it ?

@Anonymous wrote:

DO NOT try forcing the MTU to 1492 as "Terranova667" is suggesting !

THAT IS WRONG !

i set it that way for me and it works perfectly fine for everything i have connected including PS3 / PS4 so please enlighten me

Staro
Grafter

I have, mine didn't fragment at 1460 + 28 = 1488

Am I right in thinking that by doing the ping MTU fragment prompt, that 1488 is what my router is fixed at ?
Because in work when I tried lowering the MTU setting on a different router the result would always add up to what I lowered it by, if I lowered it to 1492 for example instead of 1500 it would fragment at 1465 but not at 1464 and when I raised it to 1500 for example it would fragment at 1473 and not 1472

I can't edit/save the MTU of the Plusnet Hub One though so maybe a replacement is my only solution ?

npr
Pro

In that case your router must have a MTU of 1492 or more.
IIRC the HH 5B has a MUT of 1492, whereas the HH 5A is somewhat less

Staro
Grafter

Think my router is set to 1488, I think, I'm kinda new to this Undecided
I can change the MTU setting on any of the PS devices to any value but nothing clears it, automatic no longer works either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Terranova667 wrote: i set it that way for me and it works perfectly fine for everything i have connected including PS3 / PS4 so please enlighten me

The point of setting an MTU is to ensure that no device on a connection sends packets that are larger than can be processed by the other devices in a chain which have a lower packet size limit.

If the router has a maximum of 1488 and your PC/PS has an MTU of 1492, then the outgoing packets will fragment (or fail) because they are larger than 1488.

On a home network, the internet connection maximum MTU should be determined and set in the router.  All other devices should be the same or lower than the router's MTU, for it to work properly.

Staro
Grafter

Ah hah that's how I quote.

I have a HH5a, same as PN hub 1 from what I've read the last week, guess I need a 5B or the like ?

Edit: Nope that's not how I quote at all Embarrassed

npr
Pro

Does the PS need a reboot after changing the settings?

Using a MTU of 1488 really should not be causing any problems provided the routers MTU is 1488 or more.
Don't see this as a reason to change routers, although the HH5 may give you other reasons Wink