cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower then estimated upload speed

Sunzz
Grafter

Lower then estimated upload speed

Hi there, so i was with BT infinity and i was getting around 50 mb download and 6 mb upload, i need the upload more sadly but BT could never do anything about it Sad i hoped switching to plusnet would sort that upload problem out but sadly not. Is there anything that can be done about my upload speed? current line speed is set at 78 mbbt wholesale test.jpgestimated.jpg

18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Lower then estimated upload speed

is that speed test wired or wireless

Sunzz
Grafter

Wired Smiley straight into the broadband slot on the master socket and ethernet to my pc

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you pull the line stats from the router (speeds and noise margin)

Sunzz
Grafter

Here it is, by the way thank you so much for the replies i really appreciate it, i was scratching my head about this when i was with bt and still now Sad how do the stats look?lineatt.jpg

Oldjim
Resting Legend

No obvious problems except the upload speed is far too low

Can you try the quiet line test (dial 17070 option 2) and it should be effectively silent

Unfortunately you can't get the tone / noise margin info from that router but I suspect that there may be interference if the up to 27 tone group which is a chunk of the upstream

This is what mine looks like on 47/10 connection speeds

2016-10-10_162157.jpg

Sunzz
Grafter

the quiet line test is literally dead quiet lol. do you think anything can be done? i feel a bit cheeky complaining about 5 mb uplaod speed, but for example a friend of mine lives a few miles away, is on the same cabinet as me ( im quite close to it ) and he gets 18 mb upload! that would be so much better to stream games and upload videos to youtube. i wonder whats wrong?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

as the upload speed is less than the lowest number on the impacted range I suggest raising a fault and see what comes back https://faults.plus.net

Sunzz
Grafter

Done, so il guess il see what happens Tongue wondering if i need a new line or something?

Sunzz
Grafter

Could it be a faceplate issue? Say the wiring is damaged or something is it possible to get a new line etc?
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

@Oldjim wrote:

This is what mine looks like on 47/10 connection speeds

Apologies for interrupting but what modem is that Jim? Looks like it gives out some handy info! (Or is it a 3rd party tool?)

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It is info from DSLstats - http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk. - rather than the modem/router itself.

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks. Presumably you need a compatible modem? (Mine is the locked down Openreach one from a few years back)

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@MJN wrote:

Thanks. Presumably you need a compatible modem? (Mine is the locked down Openreach one from a few years back)

Yes, it does indeed.  Sadly the OR modem won't be. 

However it may be possible to unlock the unit you have and get access to some stats.  If its a Huawei HG612 you have then a unlocked firmware can be installed without too much hassle. See   http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm for info.

If its an ECI unit, it is not so easy sadly.

Apologies to the OP for going off-topic.

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

There's a list of compatible modems in the link @vultura mentioned if you click the compatibility tab.