Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower speeds after Contract Renewal 80/20 down to almost 40/20

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Lower speeds after Contract Renewal 80/20 down to almost 40/20

From the IP profile posted earlier 48.61 and no G.INP the sync speed will be about 50.23Mb/s
The relevant banded profile is 27Mb - 54Mb as given here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12535.msg236760#msg236760 so it looks as though the speed isn't restricted by banding
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Jim, I'm well aware of the FTTC profile bands. You referred to a thread on another site where I, and presumably no-one else can see a complete table in the post you linked, but the preceding post actually refers back to a Plusnet thread in which I posted, where Chris Purvey posted the initial table. However, you're always better referring to Plusnet's own Library article on Banding. The relevant speed band is actually 25Mbps-49Mbps.
Also, in case you missed it, Chris posted the sync speed in reply #1. That said, this is an ECI cab, we don't know if G.INP has actually been applied here, but we do know what a hash BT have made of G.INP implementation on ECI equipment. The sync speed mentioned is so close to the banded speed of 49Mbps, we don't know what effect G.INP may have had on the speed had it been previously banded to 49Mbps.
It's that close, it's worth double checking. I'm surprised that this didn't occur to you.
Edit: The Library article on FTTC DLM contains the same banding details and other useful information.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It appears very likely that G.INP has not yet been rolled out with an ECL Cab http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.735.html hence my statement and I am not aware of any "hash" in rolling out to ECL Cabs as opposed to rolling out on Huawei Cabs where the modem is ECL
If however it has been rolled out then the IP / speed ratio is 1.0342 approx which gives a line speed of 50.27 so still higher than than the top of the banded profile you refer to
Anotherone
Champion

As I said, you just don't know how it would affect the speed. You are making the assumption that a previously banded speed would remain at exactly the same speed. There is no proof one way or the other that I'm aware of. But even ignoring that, OR have admitted that there's been a "bit of a cock-up" (my phrase) plus you're are forgetting the number of people that have reported sudden drops in speed. Whether or not this has been related to attempts to implement G.INP or not, is frankly anyone's guess, I've given up trying to follow the issue. These days I take nothing for granted. I've already said it, and I'll say it again - "It's that close, it's worth double checking."!
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
However, you're always better referring to Plusnet's own Library article on Banding. The relevant speed band is actually 25Mbps-49Mbps.

25Mbps-49Mbps doesn't exist anymore (not since December 2014) - the profile is now 0.128k-49Mbps as the lower limits were removed.
Quote from: Oldjim
It appears very likely that G.INP has not yet been rolled out with an ECL Cab http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.735.html hence my statement and I am not aware of any "hash" in rolling out to ECL Cabs as opposed to rolling out on Huawei Cabs where the modem is ECL

As far as I understand, It's being held back until OR implement their major DLM redesign in Jan 2016. It's definitely not been rolled out yet though.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for the update on the banding Andy. Do you have a link to an OR page with the full up-to-date list?
AndyH
Grafter

Bands are all the same I believe, it's just the lower limits were removed (it was causing an issue for some people with suddenly unstable lines).
A major DLM redesign is due to be implemented at the end of Jan, which will probably mean most existing FTTC DLM information is redundant.
In terms of the OP, it would be good to get his modem stats (but he will need to buy a new modem for this  Embarrassed )
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that info. As I said earlier though, it's that close to the upper band limit, a double check on the profile would be good - and it's an easy thing for one of the CRT to do. Alternative actions by the OP could be expensive or time consuming or possibly cause DLM to act, if it hasn't already.
majikaz
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
you're are forgetting the number of people that have reported sudden drops in speed.

you make a couple of great point. (above inparticular) As, I too have noticed the steady drumbeat of discontent users with PN speeds dropping off across several BBand forums.
Ok all this info is great.. What do you guys suggest is the best profile band to be placed on for my line
2  0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving Off  2013-05-15T10:00:00
Open Profile?
I mean what can be done and what should be done as I am sure if left with PN they will just leave me where I am unless I start to kick up a fuss.
Also I see that FTTP on Demand   330   30   --   Available <==
I have checked the price list from BTO how do I check which Band I am in regarding the distance not the IP Profile banding. So, to better work out the costs I will be likely to face IF i can find an ISP apart from BT who can install a FTTH connection.
I guestimate about £750 install + £3500 Distance plus £1100 yearly charge is that about correct?
It seems the only way to get true Fibre speeds is for full fat fibre line to my home. I will be more than happy to pay for this myself, for a couple of grand I can get 330/30 or could a bonded VDSL2 line solution be a better approach.?
I know BTO are trialling new methods for faster FTTC speeds anytime soon. but I can see that FTTP is available on my exchange/cab and this would save a whole host of problems with line speeds which I will fully utilize.
I would love to know your suggestions guys.
FYI: I do have a Huawei 612 *Unlocked* modem (I use the BTO supplied ECI modem atm) but last thing I want to do is to disrupt any DLM since the IP Profile changes I requested the past few days.
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion

I wouldn't go swapping modems for the moment. Let one of the CRT come back with the current Profile.
majikaz
Grafter

what does CRT mean again please. (Customer Retention Team) ?Huh
Also, IDK if this would be any good but Is there a way to get forced onto a faster (closer located PN gateway) geographically to my home location?
Anotherone
Champion

Customer Relations Team. They are the Plusnet Staff that frequent the forum, of which Chris Parr is one, and who has already posted in this thread.
All the Gateways are in London, and in any event have no effect whatsoever on your connection speed. That is purely determined by your distance from the Cab, the quality of your line and any local electronic/electrical environment that might cause interference to your connection. That will also include cross-talk from other lines.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: majikaz
Ok all this info is great.. What do you guys suggest is the best profile band to be placed on for my line
2  0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving Off  2013-05-15T10:00:00

This is the highest profile - but it's not something someone can manually place you on (DLM is an automatic process, without human intervention).
The other thing to remember is that your line is rate adaptive and will go as fast as it can to meet a target SNr of 6dB. This has far more influence over the connection speed of your line than the DLM speed band.
Quote from: majikaz
Also I see that FTTP on Demand   330   30   --   Available <==
I have checked the price list from BTO how do I check which Band I am in regarding the distance not the IP Profile banding. So, to better work out the costs I will be likely to face IF i can find an ISP apart from BT who can install a FTTH connection.
I guestimate about £750 install + £3500 Distance plus £1100 yearly charge is that about correct?

BT Wholesale (who supply most ISPs in the UK - except for LLU ones), are not currently selling FTTPoD. Also, remember you're looking at Openreach's wholesale cost to ISPs and this doesn't include the ISP element (their bandwidth cost).
majikaz
Grafter

I hear over on TBB that wales was exempt and that Fttpod was still available for order.. they done a write up about it.
And yeah the price quoted was a "guestimation" as you said from the wholesale price list. Obvious markup on top from ISP costs too.
Also, Can you drop my SnR to something lower like 3db with vdsl connections profiles to help DLM?
Anotherone
Champion

ISPs have no control or ability to adjust things like SNRM on vDSL, nor can they readily get profiles reset where DLM has changed them, same with Interleaving. Things are very different on vDSL from ADSL.