cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower guaranteed speed after renewel

fibreinternet
Grafter

Lower guaranteed speed after renewel

I would like a definitive answer on this topic after reading quite a lot of other people saying that after their 18month contract at guaranteed minimum speed of 29.7 ish ends and they decide to renew into another 18 month contract their guaranteed minimum speed is 27.1 ish.
Before I decide to take a new contract with plusnet I want their say on what I will get as a minimum guaranteed speed, or will I receive the speed I have been getting so far. do plusnet punish existing customers by giving them a slower speed or is it a myth?? Plain talking straight answer please,, thank you
8 REPLIES 8
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Lower guaranteed speed after renewel

Hi @fibreinternet 

Renewed my contract for 18 months with the same speed last month.

Now I have just requested move to new property with no problems and PN renewed my contract for the new property for 18 months with no problems and no loss of speed. Been a customer of PN for almost 20 years and extreemly satisfied with the service and the way as a client I am dealt with.

MC22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

They couldn’t tell me what my guaranteed minimum speed would be when I renewed, they said ‘Your Minimum Guaranteed Speed wasn't available at the point you placed the order but we'll continue to place your order as agreed with you‘ ☹️

I

fibreinternet
Grafter

Come on plusnet can you clarify this question please, an answer or lack of answer is what will determine if I stay or leave. Thank you
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You might have noticed from other posts on here, especially this week, staff are a bit busy dealing with a large number of outages due to the flooding, your question is unlikely to take priority over those.

The speeds you get are determined by basic physics, ie how far you are from the cabinet for FTTC, or exchange for ADSL and the condition of your equipment and wiring. Some external factors can interfere.as can congestion.

PS Vumping your own post is afainst forum rules, and tends to put your question to the bottom of the queue.

fibreinternet
Grafter

Thanks for the nice reply but my question was asking if I was likely to get a lower speed with a renewed contract, a fair question to ask when committing to an eighteen month contract! There has been quite a few people ask this before with no answers offered, this question isn’t just asked on but has been debated on other forums.
Once again thank you I really appreciate your consideration.
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@fibreinternet 

If you look at https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL for your phone number and look at the handover threshold figures. They will tell you what your likely minimum guaranteed speed will be, it can change on occasion, this is NOT controlled by Plusnet but by Open reach who's network you are using.

As for your other question relating to your download speed when I last renewed mine it did not go down. But you have to be aware it can go down at any point depending on how many people have moved to FTTC and creating more cross talk on the lines. Not much PlusNet can do about that, since they don't own all the lines at the cabinet, sometimes they can get Open reach to move you to a less congested card in the cabinet if there is some spare capacity, but rare now.

fibreinternet
Grafter

Thanks
Your answer has made things a lot clearer.
All the best.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@fibreinternet Basically just agreeing with @Mustrum and @wakeman here.

Only to add that MGS, handover threshold etc are all theoretical and can change over time, but if you re-contract tomorrow the speed will be the same as today.  🙂

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)