Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower FTTC up/down speeds at Master socket than extension

FIXED
MorthosDBC
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Lower FTTC up/down speeds at Master socket than extension

Looking for any guidance on master socket/extension FTTC issues.

I'm In the process of rearranging my living room where the Master socket and extension both are.  I've been connected to the extension since FTTC was installed and getting around 44mb up/10mb down. My intention was to have the modem over by the master socket after the rearrangement but when I've plugged into the master socket I'm only getting syncs of around 39/7, but if I swap back to the extension socket it goes back to 44/10.

Would this indicate some sort of fault on the master socket (even though the extension is running off it)? (It's a Mk 2 plate at the master and cannot see any version on the extension that was fitted when I had FTTC installed).  If I'm going to lose those sorts of speeds I'll leave it at the extension but always thought the master should give the best sync speed?

As far as I'm aware there would be nothing on that side of the room that would cause any interference compared to where the modem normally is (which is behind the TV with lots of other equipment so would have thought it would get more interference that side of the room than at the master socket!)

Is this normal or should the sync speeds always be better at the master socket?

5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Lower FTTC up/down speeds at Master socket than extension

Hi there,

Speeds should be best at the master socket so I'm wondering if there's an issue with the front faceplate.

If I were you I'd unscrew the bottom half of the front of the socket and connect into the test socket behind and see how that compares.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MorthosDBC
Dabbler

Yeah, I couldn't see any reason why it drops so much at the master and not the extension running off it unless there is some very strong/weird interference on that side of the room (and even then would have thought it would still affect the extension running off it), so I've ordered a new faceplate and will see what happens once that's swapped out and hope it is that.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You need to check how the extension is wired up. If you disconnect the extension wiring from where I assume it is connected on the Mk2 faceplate, or disconnect the Mk2 faceplate entirely, then the speed will probably be fine at the master socket.

If you wanted to use the extension socket for only a telephone, you'd need to connect the extension wires to the lower front plate of the master socket. You're supposed to use a proper IDC tool for connecting those wires.

MorthosDBC
Dabbler

Thanks EJS.  The extension is purely an FTTC/RJ45  socket extension which was installed by the engineer when I got FTTC with Plusnet.  Providing the issue with the master socket syncing 4-5mb lower than the extension socket doesn't persist when the new faceplate is installed I won't be needing to reinstall the extension wiring anyway, if the issue persists then I'll just be putting the faceplate back on with the extension wiring already installed.

MorthosDBC
Dabbler

Fix

Issue was resolved with new face plate (accidentally ordered a Mk 3 and not 2 without realising but it's working fine).  Actually gained a bit of up/down speed with the new socket so bit of a bonus from the annoyance of having to replace it.