cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low wifi speeds with Hub One

sirwiggum

Low wifi speeds with Hub One

I'm getting awful speeds with my Hub One.

Earlier today on SpeedTest I was getting

5.07mbps down

3.08mbps up

I've tried:

- Changed from Technicolour to the Hub One. Briefly had a good connection speed (70mbps) but then degraded to normal

- Used a wifi analyser tool to change channels to channels where my neighbours wifi isn't overlapping

- Separated the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi, use 5 for my work laptop, unfortunately the likes of the ps4 (for netflix) can only use 2.4ghz

- Our toddler has grown up such that we no longer use the baby monitor, so the wireless connection on that should no longer interfere

I'm at my wits edge. I've reached out to Plusnet asking them were they throttling things, but they denied it. I'm at the point where I'm considering my evil satellite TV provider offering, as they have a wifi gaurantee.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Low wifi speeds with Hub One

What do you get on a wired connection?Is it just the 2.4GHz band that's slow?

Be aware that there are many other non 'WiFi' services these days that use the 2.4GHz band. These are not shown on standard WiFi analysers. You need a proper spectrum analyser to fully assess what is going on in this band.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

sirwiggum

One issue is that the original engineer installed the router in the hallway, far enough away from the computer desk that my ethernet cables wont stretch, and the work laptop is one of these awful 'dongle for everything' macbooks Smiley

But I'll see if I can hook a mac mini and a monitor up beside it later.

Since splitting and rebooting, the PS4 on 2.4ghz is reporting 8mbps down (just enough for HD netflix), 5ghz on my phone is reporting 24mbps. Improvements over the earlier speeds, though they tend to degrade over time, and nowhere near the 70+ that BT DSL checker reports.

I don't think we have any other wireless gadgets, though our neighbour might.

Baldrick1

If you go onto Amazon or Ebay you can get Ethernet cables at whatever length you need for a few pounds. Well worth the cost   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-CAT6-Network-LAN-Cable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Fast-Patch-Lead-1m-to-50m-Wh...

I have wired my house with Ethernet cable. Where I need wireless I have the option to fit a wireless access point.

Moderator and Customer

sirwiggum

Was considering powerline ethernet, if these are any use?

If I was building a new house I'd have ethernet wiring everywhere Smiley

Baldrick1

Before buying Powerline devices it might help if you read this  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

Moderator and Customer