cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low upload speed after being duped in to new "lower speed" contract - 141421451

19ninety
Dabbler

Low upload speed after being duped in to new "lower speed" contract - 141421451

So after being miss sold (lied to!) a new contract with lower speeds, in the guise of saving me a £1 a month by renewing my contract which was coming to an end, I'm now wasting my time trying to resolve the reduced upload speed. Yes, I explicitly asked the telesales  person if there were any changes to my product, the answer to which was "no" ... then I received the "Your broadband product change is now complete" email.... great.

The down speed is great at 57mb/s, up is awful at 2mb/s. I've tried restarting both the BT and Plusnet router, swapping cables, etc. No difference.

What do I need to do now, or what can I do?

http://faults.plus.net/ is down at the moment.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Insult edited as per Forum rules.

33 REPLIES 33
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Low upload speed after being duped in to new "lower speed" contract - 141421451

what were you on before?

In quite a few cases on here I've seen staff (@adamwalker @anoush etc al) listen to the sales recordings, and if someone was on 40:20 still (I thought they were all now on 55:10 anyway?) and recontracted they moved them back to 55:10 if they were not told the speed was going to drop down;. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Low upload speed after being duped in to new "lower speed" contract - 141421451

How are you testing, wired or WiFi?

And which product did you sign up for. Unlimited Fibre, or Unlimited Fibre Extra.

As you say you are expected download speed, PN don't limit the upload speed on Fibre Extra, so you should be getting the same as you were before - unless you are testing via WiFi?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I think the problem here is that with PN cutting Downloads for new customers , sales staff get mixed up ,, its happened before  , or their Auto ordering system has had a Day off again .

Its most probably a hick up in PN system which is easily fixed ,, ON MONDAY 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MrSilver
Pro

@rongtw if his download is 57mbit he's not on 40:2

I was thinking the same but looks like a different problem if the speed in the original post is correct
19ninety
Dabbler

Apologies if I broke forum rules, but I'm incredibly annoyed your sales rep didn't tell me I'd get lower speeds with the new contract, I'm getting pee'd off that this isn't fixed by now ... it's been dragging on for a couple of months which is getting very annoying. I'm a busy guy, I know that's partly why this is taking so long to fix ... because I haven't got time to pish about trying to put this right on top of family, full time job and running my own business.

I'm testing wired.

I don't know exactly what I was on before, I'll see if I can dig through the years of emails later to try and find out.... I was on the top fibre package for a while, but when I checked I was only getting a couple of mb/s over the standard fibre package, so I moved to that package as it was cheaper. It was a perfectly fine down load speed (38mb/s or there about from memory, could be wrong as it was a long time ago) and the upload speed was great 8-13mb/s.

C'mon Plusnet, until now you've be simple awesome, surely it can't be hard to fix.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Not so much of a come on PN, if you don't know what you had or have, don't you think you need to take some responsibility?

Do you have any issues with the service you have?

19ninety
Dabbler

Responsibility? Oh yes, like when a sales "person" from a company I TRUST calls me and lies to me even though I took responsibility by asking if there were going to be any changes to my broadband speed ... only for it to then be changed after being told "no"!

So yes, it's absolutely a c'mon PN.

Do you have any issues with the service you have? Apparently so...

I don't know what the original plan was that I was on, the email has been long ago irresponsibly deleted! See attached, most recent plan which I down graded my self to in 2014, it doesn't say the upload speed.

Checked on BT Wholesale, both with a wired PC and laptop direct to the PN router, using different cables. Download is fine, upload not so...

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

In all fairness, I don't think he has to know what he had other than he has a vastly reduced upload speed AND was told nothing would change on his new contract. That would be more than enough for me to be annoyed with Plusnet.

19ninety
Dabbler

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/12/uk-isp-plusnet-cuts-superfast-unlimited-fibre-broadband...

So I'd say I was on Unlimited Fibre Extra in 2014, but downgraded to Unlimited Fibre as at the time the download speed wouldn't go above 38ish mb/s at the time.

MrSilver
Pro

The upload profile on be pic is 20mb, along with the download speed indicated he's on 80 20 still

I'd suggest run the btw Speedtest inc tap3 to see what that test shows

It doesn't show anyone has lied or being duped and downgraded or anything like that, so something has gone wrong it looks like rather than plusnet being liars imo from the test results
Mustrum
Community Veteran

The "capture" attachment does look like you have been downgraded, but it is strange you are getting near 60Mbps download - you still have the right BTW but PN are limiting the upload, or there is a fault.

Just a thought, if you go to the member centre, do you have the option to upgrade to "Unlimited Fibre Extra" in the change product section?

MrSilver
Pro

That's why we need results from test3 on the btw test.
If that comes back high upload it's a pn fault if slow upload then a btw fault.

Tap3/test3 bypasses plusnet dpi/throttling.
19ninety
Dabbler

Following the BTW tap3 instructions, I go to the Technicolor Gateway>Setup my Gateway, here I already have my User Name already filled in - but password is blank. Where do I find the password to use with my User Name so that I can put it back in after the Tap3 test? Or is it auto detected? I don't want to enter the BT details and not be able to get back on line after the test...

MrSilver
Pro

Hi

Same password as for member centre.