cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low speeds every evening yet have superfast broadband

Lizizzard
Dabbler

Low speeds every evening yet have superfast broadband

I’ve complained numerous times since joining plusnet that the Wi-Fi signal is terrible. Supposedly my line speed is fine, but for the last few weeks I’ve been unable to watch a single programme on tv all the way through without it dropping out at some point. Checking the speed right next to the router I’m getting readings of 7 to 15 max, yet contact guarantees a min of 60+

Im just so frustrated now. Had sky and talk talk previously, everything set up the same yet zero issues with speed and Wi-Fi signal dropping out. What’s going on plusnet????
9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Low speeds every evening yet have superfast broadband

@Lizizzard You obviously - from your comment above have a line issue. No doubt the Help Team will pick this up, but...

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection. Please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the HELP DESK tab from your Hub would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Lizizzard 

I read this differently. From my reading this is a wireless, not line, problem. You can confirm this be testing your speed using an Ethernet cable between your hub and a computer. 
If this is OK then the first thing to note is that Plusnet offers no speed guarantee over wireless.

If you have a Hub One then try splitting the wireless bands and try each band in turn see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Baldrick1 You could well be right - I shouldn't have tried to reply after a very tiring day. Up to the OP which route he takes.

John
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Lizizzard, thanks for getting in touch. I am really sorry to hear of the ongoing issues that you have experienced with your service and inconvenience this causes. I can certainly appreciate this must be frustrating.

I have tested your line and this hasn't highlighted any issues, we are seeing a sync speed of 79mb and a stable connection.

Based on these findings it does suggest the issue is with the wireless signal. If you have devices connected to the router via Ethernet cable that are also having issues then please do let us know so we can advise further on this for you.

Wifi is prone to interference and this can come from many things such as other wireless or electrical equipment, but there are settings in your router you can amend to help with this. I can do this remotely from our side for you if you like but just a heads up this would just cause a brief drop in your wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Lizizzard
Dabbler

Can someone please run a speed test on my line right now?

I’m getting test readings of 12-19 download sat right next to my router, but have fibre and guaranteed speeds of 57.5. This is an ongoing problem that was supposed to be have been resolved a few weeks ago. Thank you if anyone can help.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Can someone please run a speed test on my line right now?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

Topics merged 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Does the Wi-Fi signal improve if you power your hub off/back on?
Do you know what firmware version it is running? (browse to http://192.168.1.254 and take a look at the software version in the footer of the page).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Frenchy80
Hooked

Longshot but might be worth a try 

If your using a laptop or Computer you might need to go in to device manager then wireless settings and change the band from 2.4 to 5g

Reason i've suggested it was because i had the exact same issue with speeds of around 1.5mbps to 4.5mbps for a solid 11 days then done a bit of searching and came across on how to change settings and boom now getting full speeds