cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low speed and PPPoE dropout

westfieldfarm

Low speed and PPPoE dropout

I've been with Plusnet at my current property for 4 years and had seen a gradual increase in speed on the old ADSL line, finally reaching around 5Mb download speeds.  This connection was very solid and never really fell over.  In Early Sept I upgraded to FTTC and was informed that as we are 1.8miles (line length, not as the crow flies) from the cabinet I should not expect blistering speeds (<11Mb download)
There was an intermittent line fault upon connection to the FTTC the BT took a week or so to rectify. We saw speeds of around 6Mb at this time.  Since then, we have experienced numerous drop outs and a gradual drop in speed. We now are showing 2.03Mb using the BT Wholesale speed test.
When the drop-out occurs, my router reports that it cannot connect to the PPPoE server.  I've changed the Apple Extreme router form the one that has been working faultlessly for the last 3 years to a brand new one.  This has not helped the situation.
I've raise another PlusNet support ticket on the issue, does anyone have any other ideas?
Are there any better VDSL modems that will work on the weaker signal that I seem to be getting?  I'm thinking of trying a DrayTek vDSL modem as I had a DrayTek ADSL 110 modem that never fell over.  Does anyone have any experience of the DrayTek 2850/PlusNet setup?
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Low speed and PPPoE dropout

Hi westfieldfarm,
I've just run some line tests and diagnostics and the we've picked up on a potential line issue.
Bear with us as our faults team will pick this up ASAP and get the fault logged for you.
Indications are we should be able to resolve this without the need for an engineer visit.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
westfieldfarm

Looking forward to this being resolved... now sitting at 1.99Mbps download via the BT Wholesale speed test.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi, I've just helped things along by booking an engineer for you.
Please see ticket 93274951 for the details.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
westfieldfarm

@_Adam_Walker_ thanks for pushing this issue.
The Openreach engineer turned up yesterday to test the line and modem at our end, pronounced there was a problem, and ran away! No update on our open ticket.
The speed is now down to 1.8Mbps so we aren't gett any better. Really looking forward to normal service returning...
westfieldfarm

Sad
Speeds seem to be dropping.  Using the preferred BT Wholesale speed test we his a new low of 0.83Mbps download yesterday.  This is now unusable and communication from PlusNet seem to have dried up, we have had no further updates on this issue since last Thursday before the Engineer turned up.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
I'm sorry to see that there has been no update from the faults team. I'm making our faults team aware in the hope of getting it picked up for you today.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
westfieldfarm

More tests and now a BOOST engineer is booked to visit next week.
Things seem to be flakey... BT Wholesale speedtest is reporting no issues at 4.1mbps download, TBB reports 2.96Mbps... both an improvement but not much to rejoice over.
Looking forward to every little improvement as the user experience does not reflect any increase in tested speed.