cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low profile.

Lootnant

Low profile.

I appear to be stuck on a 38.22mbps profile. Being stuck on low profiles has happened many times in the 9 months I've been with Plusnet. I've had two engineer visits which haven't really achieved much. It will be ok for a time then down it goes.

At present the BT Wholesale test shows max achievable at 38.22mbps and download speed at 34.16. Max attainable according to my modem is 51.5mbps.
When I do a speed test through Ookla it appears to think I live in London and offers test servers based on that, whereas I live well over 200 miles north of London. Originally I was offered test servers local to me, eg. Preston.

The test speeds vary little however if I change the test server to Preston.
26ms 35.33down 10.41up London
38ms 35.20down 10.41up Preston

I would very much like to be on "Fast Path". Sometimes I am on fastpath for a few days then it goes back to interleave.
I rarely keep synch. for more than a few days and if it rains heavily I can guarantee loss of synch. and speed drops.
All these results are by ethernet, not wifi.

The disconnect on Sunday 2/2 was because of other work that necessitated switch off the modem.

Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Low profile.

Hi @Lootnant and welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having speed issues as of recent and upon checking your connection from this side I can see a few things which could be behind this.
I can see the profile on your account was limiting your throughput speed to 38Mbps which I've uncapped for you now.
We are only seeing the router in sync at 39.5Mbps however despite your estimates for the line being 44.4 - 66.5Mbps. This hints then that something is out of place somewhere.
If you could please set your connection up in the test socket so we can re-test from this side for change. This should help determine the next best course of action to get this resolved for you moving forwards.

You can can get your router in the optimal setup by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speeds increase. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If you can drop us a message when you're in this set-up then we'll happily check into this further for you.
When testing your connection I did notice there's also a banding on our suppliers side of 44Mbps however as your sync is under this it isn't effecting your speeds. I've still requested this to be removed however which should occur in the next 48-72 hours.

Lootnant

Thanks for your reply BD.

My modem is now connected to test socket via a splitter and there is an improvement (see attachment). This is a mk.4 master socket fitted by Openreach about six months ago.

The modem rates are:
Actual Rate        40449 Kbps 11298
Attainable Rate  53895 Kbps 11400

Regards

Lootnant

TedT
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Thanks for the reply,

I'm pleased to hear ruling out the Faceplate has resulted in an improvement. I would suggest keeping your set up like this now.

Please feel free to let us know if you need anything else.

Regards

Kev

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Kevin T
 Plusnet Help Team
Lootnant

Thanks for your reply.

We're not getting anywhere.

My modem rates are:

Actual Rate 40715 Kbps 11272
Attainable Rate 52318 Kbps 11439

See the attached screenshots. These were the result of a laptop ethernet connection straight into router/modem and modem still plugged into test socket.

This is what has been happening for a long while. The download rate is much lower than the modem synch. rate.

Previously it has gone as low as 5000 kbps down. Oddly the upload rate is not as affected.

Regards

Lootnant 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for getting back to us and cheers for trying what you can. 

Diagnostics don't show any obvious causes for the issue but do show that speeds are below the minimum guarantee so please report a fault with us as the next step: http://faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team