Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low download speed and flashing lights on TG582n router

bazzer9
Grafter

Low download speed and flashing lights on TG582n router

Hi,

I've been with Plusnet for almost 3 years now and still have the original BT modem connected to the Plusnet router TG582n.

Occasionally (like now) my download speed drops and I lose WiFi connectivity to my Roberts Stream93i internet radio and I can't reconnect it by using the Network wizard on the radio and by pressing the WPS button on the router -- the radio reports that the wifi signal is too weak. Other wifi devices on my network (e.g. HP Printer, Humux Youview box) don't seem to drop out so easily.  I also notice that the ethernet, internet and WiFi lamps on the router are rapidly flashing on and off.

In the past I've overcome this problem by powering off the modem and router for a few minutes then turning them both on again, when usually the download speed reverts to a more respectable 28Mbs or so, the radio reconnects and the router lights cease to flash.

I don't want to keep on doing this as the problem seems to be re-occurring  more frequently.

Is there a better solution ? Does my modem/router need replacing or upgrading ?

Any useful suggestions gratefully received

4 REPLIES 4
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Low download speed and flashing lights on TG582n router

Occasionally (like now) my download speed drops and I lose WiFi connectivity to my Roberts Stream93i internet radio

I wasn't sure whether you mean that the Wi-Fi speed dropped or whether the speed of your internet connection dropped?

If it is just the Wi-Fi connection, what happens if you restart just the T582n and don't touch the modem?

I don't have your configuration with a radio but I do have the Technicolor router + modem that you are using. In the past, when I lost contact with my wireless printer, restarting just the router brought the connection back.

bazzer9
Grafter

Hi BrightonRock,

i've come to the conclusion that the main problem is the weak WiFi signal where my internet radio is located.

The internet download speed on my laptop at this location is about 1/3 of what it is when placed next to the router. If the internet download speed at the router drops a bit the WiFi signal strength at the radio becomes so poor that it loses connection.

Having said that the radio wouldn't re-connect when I pressed the WPS key on the router even when the radio was placed next to it. After powering off the router, then powering it on again and waiting a few minutes for the lights to stabilise I tried connecting the radio again by pressing the WPS key -- and it connected first time !  So I do believe that the router locks up sometimes such that it's WPS key doesn't work.

My first priority is to boost the WiFi signal strength so that it is consistently good all around the house.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

My guess was that it was a Wi-Fi problem. If turning off the router - don't touch the modem - solves the immediate problem, then stay with it.

Two thoughts about the Wi-Fi:

Have a look at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/ which may help you. It may not matter where you are but I would probably start with trying a different channel - I know that the router claims to choose the best channel on automatic but mine doesn't always succeed.

Secondly, try playing with the settings for 'Home Network' on the router. There isn't a setting to tell the router that the connection is for 'radio'  but configuring my Technicolor so that 'xxx' was listed as 'printer', and also telling it to use a fixed address for the printer, cured the problem of it forgetting the connection. The symptoms that you are reporting seem very similar to those that I had; the printer hadn't lost the password (so I didn't need to try WPS), the two bits of kit had just got confused and didn't talk to each other!

bazzer9
Grafter

I've just installed a NetGear WiFi extender EX2700 (from Amazon £14.99) which has boosted the WiFi signal strength all around the house so that now the WiFi download speed on my laptop placed anywhere is close to what was only attainable before when placed next to the router.

My Roberts Stream93i radio and my HP Printer now have strong WiFi signals and are working a treat. Smiley