cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low connection speed

Conka

Low connection speed

Hi all,

I've recently moved across from broadband to fibre unlimited with a guaranteed speed of 30mbs however I am not reaching a speed about 4mbs. I've set up my new router correctly & the change should of occurred yesterday.

I've read similar posts about being put on the wrong provisions and I feel a similar thing has happened to me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Connor

13 REPLIES 13
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Low connection speed

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Welcome to the forums. @Conka

While you wait for a member of staff to help, you want to confirm that you are still on ADSL then the following will help.

Log onto the Plusnet Hub One Router and go to the Troubleshooting Section (top right corner). Once there click on the Helpdesk tab.

Look for the line starting 

23. Modulation:

And then compare the code to the table below,

ADSL1	   ADSL2     ADSL2+    VDSL	 VDSL2
Standard G.992.1 G.992.3 G.992.5 G.993.1 G.993.2

If the code is for ADSL then you haven't been upgraded to FTTC yet. If it is VDSL then you have been. Let us know what it says.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Conka

Hi Gel,

I've tried chat and I got shut down very quickly with being a new customer. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

Conka

Thanks for the reply SpendLessTime. Looks like I am still on ADSL1 then. The email stated this should have moved across on October 24th Sad

Thanks

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Conka

While you wait for a member of staff to confirm what is happening, you can do a quick check for yourself to see if the order has a completion date.

Have a look at the BT Wholesale checker site at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Enter your phone number and look in the text below the results table.

It will say if there is an open order on your line and more importantly the date it is due to be completed.

Also check the results table and make sure it says that VDSL ( aka FTTC) fibre is available to order on your cabinet and it definitely doesn't say anything about a waiting list..

SpendLessTime
Hero

Last self check possible would be to look at your tickets. Plusnet create tickets for major events on the accounts like billing, setup, faults etc.

Have a look at them at https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search (login required). Any open tickets will be listed on the resulting screen.

Also check the closed tickets using the "closed questions" drop down. Select the "Closed Questions in the last 30 days" and click "go". Then you can see if there is any hint as to what is happening.

edit for spelling

Conka

Thanks again for the reply.

Yes says there is an open order due to complete on the 29th October Sad

However does mention a few parts about a Waiting List & availability. I've attached a picture which will hopefully make more sense than me...

It's strange because I first attempted to get fibre but was told it was unavailable in my area - So I took out an order for ADSL. However when the router arrived I had no internet connection at all and an engineer was sent out. He told me the problem was the line was set up for fibre. He also said there was plenty spare ports in the cabinet for fibre optics and this is the reason I managed to upgrade.

Thanks

Connor

SpendLessTime
Hero

Okay well hopefully your open order is for one of the spare VDSL ports that the engineer saw and your order locked it down hence now the cabinet has a waiting list.

But on the 29th October when the Openreach engineer goes to the cabinet, that is when you'll find out for sure if that free port exists.

Fingers crossed.

Have to say it is not unusual for the install date to be pushed back and Plusnet fail to tell the customer. It is too common unfortunately.

Conka

Ah well I'm sure I can cope!

Hopefully you are right and ill get what I'm paying for on the 29th.

I appreciate the help tonight

Thanks

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Conka

You're welcome.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Connor.

Sorry for the delay in activating your fibre service and for the lack of communication regarding the change in date.

As you've found out it'll go live on the 29th. You'll receive an automated email in the early hours of the morning advising the product change is complete, though I'd expect the engineering work to happen later on during the day.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Conka

Hi Gandalf,

Just to let you know I am now on VDSL however the download speed does appear to be fluctuating a lot via a wired connection (testing via speedtest by Ookla). After several runs I'll see results in the high 20's for download but then down at 6mbs shortly after.

I am hoping this is due to recently being upgraded?

Thanks

Connor

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Conka, I have tested the line and your currently in sync at a little over 34mb, this looks to have remained the same since the order complete.

When running the speed test, can you ensure that nothing else in running in the background and no other WiFi devices connected. Might also be worth trying another speedtester for comparison to see if you get similar results.

If the speeds are then continuing to fluctuate can you have a run through our troubleshooting guides here and if the issue persists, raise it here so we can continue to investigate.

Let us know how this goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team