cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low broadband speed

ribbon

Low broadband speed

Subscribed to Fibre some time ago now but broadband speed is still low - 25 - 27 Mb. I am not using the master skt as my desktop is not wireless. Advised to plug into master skt and see what speed is there which I did using my neighbours laptop and lan cable. Download speed exactly the same as before - 25-27 Mb down and 5-6 up.  My neighbour's - also on Plusnet is anywhere from 38 -60Mb down and 13ish up. Why isn't mine. I suppose I could just leave but would rather not have the hassle. I

22 REPLIES 22
woodlands123
Dabbler

Re: Low broadband speed

Had the same problem with low speed. Nice BT engineer came round and checked out the line. Also changed the wiring so that study was now the master skt . Speed now great at 50ish.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @ribbon,

Thanks for getting in touch and we are sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your speed. After testing the line we can see that your connection has been banded at 30Mbps, which is causing the impact you are seeing.

I have raised a fault, and passed it to our supplier to see if we can remove this without the need of an engineer.

I have provided more information on fault ticket here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
woodlands123
Dabbler

well the engineer came out and moved the master skt up to the study , checked things over and all seemed well but...…….

been a couple of weeks now and ribbon's broadband speed is still below minimum.  What can she do now?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @woodlands123, can you confirm what speeds you (Or @ribbon) are currently achieving on a wired connection please, as testing is showing the connection is in sync at the maximum that the package will allow.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
woodlands123
Dabbler

Hi, I am getting 56 down and 15 up - just now. I checked ribbon yesterday and she was getting just under 31 down. We live within 200 m of each other and both have the same fibre package.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@woodlands123, from what I can see your router is in sync at 40/10, so your speeds of 56/15 won't be possible I'm afraid. Which website are you using to test your speeds?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
woodlands123
Dabbler

was using speed test on Bing(50 just now) but on speedchecher.co.uk it shows 36/7 just now. Can't check ribbon,s just now but think it will be the  (proportionately) lower.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looks like it may be some speedtesters giving false readings, because you can't physically achieve more than 40/10 due to the product you're provisioned on. The check you've done that's showing 36/7 looks about right.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
woodlands123
Dabbler

Yes I agree but ………...it's not mine that's slow it's ribbon's.  Hers is much slower than mine - it was 30 on Bing (mine 50 on Bing) so expect it to be much less than that when I test it on speedchecker.co.uk. Can't do that just now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd ask them to check their speed on a different speedtester other than Bing as it looks like Bing's tester isn't too reliable given that it's providing you with a speed of 50mbps which isn't possible.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
woodlands123
Dabbler

ok, so this morning I have checked both mine and ribbon's with broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk.

Mine is 38.46/6.5 and ribbons is 30.35/7.9.

So why should ribbon's be lower( below the minimum) than mine?

regards

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @woodlands123 & @ribbon,

After testing the line, the connection appears stable and is operating within the estimated speed leading up to the router. As this is the case, it appears the throughput is lower than what is expected (speed when a performance test is run,) even with very low usage at the time of testing.

@ribbon, please run a speed test via an Ethernet cable with Internet Explorer / Microsoft Edge. If the speed is lower than the estimated speed, please click further diagnostics then enter your telephone number and run the diagnostics to send this information to us. Along side this, please raise a fault and let us know when you have completed it.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
woodlands123
Dabbler

Hi,

ribbon has done that and raised a fault but could you explain to me about 'Ping Latency'? What is it and what should, ideally, the figure be?

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There's no definitive value for latency, as it depends on the response time between your device and the server you're trying to contact. Can you advise what speeds @ribbon is receiving now over a wired connection?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet