Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Sync Speed

caro69
Dabbler

Low Sync Speed

Hi all

First time post as I connected to Plusnet on Friday.  I have the Unlimited Fibre Extra package but I synced at 44500 on connection.

I thought the speed might go up and down a bit with the DLM but I'm still synced at 44500.  Can't I try a higher speed.  It's certainly a lot lower than my guaranteed rate of 59.7.

Caro69

19 REPLIES 19
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Low Sync Speed

Welcome to the Forum @caro69

If you are reporting a wired speed (as opposed to measured using wifi), have a look at http://dslchecker.bt.com/ and see what sort of speeds you should be getting (although you may have done this already as you mention a guaranteed rate). If you are low, I would then run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time but formally makes Plusnet aware of your problem, they have look at it, and gets the problem into the queue for action.

Please let us know how you get on.

caro69
Dabbler

Thank you Brighton Rock for your quick reply.

We were wired when we connected to the Hub One, sync rate 44500.  We did an immediate speed test which showed c 42000.  Since then we have had speeds of between 28000 and 38000 on various devices. I think this is the throughput speed if I'm understanding correctly and I know this will be lower when using wi-fi.   If I log onto the router now it still shows the same sync speed.  I haven't connected the ethernet cable again, but assume it will be similar to the 42000 as the sync speed hasn't changed.

Plusnet gave me the guaranteed speed based upon presumably what Openreach advised them my line should support?

I have microfilters on all sockets and the Hub One is connected to the master socket.

I can't understand why the router has not at least tried to sync at a higher rate.  The line is stable as far as I can see so I was hoping that this would push the sync speed up.  I don't want to reboot as Plusnet seem to suggest not turning off the router in the first ten days.

Caro69

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You mention having micro filters in each extension, which suggests you don't have a filtered master socket, so your internal wiring could be impacting your speeds.

If you have a modern master socket, testing from the hidden test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket would be the first thing to try. 

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

If I understand the position correctly (and do tell me if I am wrong!) your Hub 1 is connected to the master socket on your system; it is reporting a sync speed (in other words line speed) of 44 mbps; and Plusnet promised you 59.7 mbps.

Is 59.7 mbps what the dslspeed checker says you should be getting (link in my earlier post)? If so, then you are running slow and, in that situation, I would run the checks and report a fault.

As @Mustrum helpfully pointed out, you seem to be reporting extensions coming off your master socket and internal wiring can sometimes slow down a connection. Plusnet will want you to eliminate that possibility before they accept a fault. How you do that will depend on the exact nature of your master socket. There are many possibilities and I cover 2 below.

Does it have 2 sockets; one for phone and one for broadband? If so, behind the front cover there is a "test socket" which disconnects internal wiring and allows you to just test the broadband connection. Connect the Hub to that "test socket" and run through the checks - the link is in my earlier post.

If it has just got one socket, try to connect the hub there through a filter, and disconnect (temporarily) everything else. Then run the checks.

Please let us know how you get on. And, if you are unsure, come back with any queries.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @caro69,

I'm sorry to hear that your sync speed has been poor.

I've tested your line today and can see that it's currently in sync at 45.3mbps on the downstream, but it's not picking up anything obvious that could be causing this. For reference, the test result is as follows:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 45.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 12.3 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 607.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-04-06T10:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 42.6 Mbps 47.7 Mbps 44.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 12.2 Mbps 12.3 Mbps 12.3 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 860.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 194.0 7.4

I would second (or should that be third?) the suggestion from @Mustrum and @BrightonRock to try connecting directly to the test socket with all equipment disconnected except the router. This will allow us to confirm whether or not this is an internal wiring or equipment problem.

Please let us know if your sync speed is still poor when connected directly to the test socket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
caro69
Dabbler

Thank you all.  Will get on to this asap and report.

Caro69

caro69
Dabbler

I'm logged into my router at present. It says the data rate is 12099 / 51387.  So is the downstream 51387 and the upstream 12099 or the other way round? Several devices here only getting download speed between 4 and 5.  Upstream higher at about 8.

Caro

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Your downstream is 51387.

The thing you must determine is whether your problem is wireless. Disregarding what your router says then is a speedtest with a wired Ethernet connection is close to that reported by the router then your problem is wireless, which I'm afraid you have to sort yourself.

The first thing you need to do with a Plusnet Hub One is to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, especially if you use Apple devices. This will tell you how:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Making-5-GHz-have-separate-SSID-with-the-Hub-One/m-p/1349587.... You can then try both the 2.4 and 5 GHz band in turn and see which is best.

A useful tool is a wifi 'sniffer' app I use 'Wifi Analyser' on an Android phone. With this you can monitor your neighbours transmissions and check whether they are using the same channel as you. If there are other others using the same channel as you then you can manually change this to the quietest by logging into the router advanced settings and manually setting the wireless channel. Again if your devices will support it then you may be better using the 5GHz band but you need to experiment with that.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Have you been able to connect to the test socket as we advised above?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
caro69
Dabbler

Thank you all once again.

No I haven't yet.  I haven't got a laptop to connect to the test socket, mine is a desktop which is too big for me to move.  I'm awaiting my son to attach his laptop when is is not working.

I will report back then.

Many thanks

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

You shouldn’t need to move your desktop computer to use the test socket.
You’d just plug your router into the socket behind the faceplate of the master one.
Let us know how you get on.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
caro69
Dabbler

So, we connected the Plusnet router to the test socket and the sync speed went to 64768 download and 18270 upload.  My son did a speedtest on his new laptop which connects the the 5 ghz band and he got a consistent 49 mbps.  He then connected via the ethernet cable and still got 49 mbps.

I checked all our internal wiring which have asdl nation filters on and there is no noise on any line.

The router in now plugged back into the master socket and we are back to the previous sync speed of 51000 down and 11000 up with speedtests showing around 49 mbps on son's new laptop but with speeds of 19 - 22 on other devices, tablets, phones etc.

Our guaranteed line speed is something like 58 mpbs so I guess that's that then.  I don't understand why we can't sync at closer to the 80 mpbs in the test socket.  Would a filtered faceplate help?

Caro69 

caro69
Dabbler

Sorry, I made an error and I can't see how to edit my post.

My son's throughput speed was 49 mpbs when in the test socket, less than that when connected to the master socket.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

So you have now proven that your internal wiring is slowing your service, so a filtered master socket will help, and would be the first thing an openreach engineer would fit.

Your speed tests stayed the same due to PN profile - which will increase over time when your synch speeds go up.