cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low SNR on FTTC causing very low speeds and connection drops.

Wilsonline
Grafter

Low SNR on FTTC causing very low speeds and connection drops.

I've had stable 17Mbps download speeds in the last 18 months since moving house and running a Technicolor router with the VDSL modem, as supplied for the IPTV trial.  On signing up for the normal TV service I was sent a new router which I didn't initially use until last week when I had some dropouts on the connection so thought best to give it a go.  The connection was no better with dropouts daily.  The routers are connected by a short lead directly to the master socket with Mk2 filter and no other connections (not even a phone).
The new router is next to useless for doing anything beyond an internet connection so I'm now running a Draytek 2860 router that allows me to run port forwarding easily and well.  That has also dropped out daily for a few days and this evening while checking things has been on and off regularly ever hour or more frequently and the speed is awful.  Currently I am connected at 4.2Mbps down and still 3.2Mbps up (no change there at least).  This is with a download SNR of 7/8db.  Previously when synced at 19.9Mbps down the SNR was 6db and then dropped to 5 and lost connection.
I've changed the DSL filter with no change.  Rebooting the router allows connection again briefly but no better
Suffice to say I can't watch an of the IPTV channels at present which is annoying.
Screenshot of the 2860 connection page attached.
89 REPLIES 89
Wilsonline
Grafter

Re: Low SNR on FTTC causing very low speeds and connection drops.

Reconnected the Mk2 DSL filter plate and I'm sync'd back at 19.9Mbps with 8db SNR down and speed testing at 16+Mbps.  Frustrating last few hours.
Lets see how it goes overnight as it was offline 1st thing this morning.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It didn't look too good from here.

Let us know if it happens again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Wilsonline
Grafter

Thanks Matthew, I will do.
Wilsonline
Grafter

Currently up for 18+ hours @ sync speed of 17.998Mbps.  Seems ok this evening.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear it.
Hopefully it's sorted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Wilsonline
Grafter

Dropped again sometime between 12 and 2:40. Reconnected by removing dsl cables from router and reconnecting. Sync back on at 17.9 and 3.4Mbps down and up and Snr of 5 and 10db.
Wilsonline
Grafter

Dropped at 22:30 ish.  DSL cable removed after seeing if it would connect again with no interference and it not.  DSL sync was ok briefly but then dropped below 5db and lost again.  Disconnected DSL cable again and this time syncd ok with 10db SNR down.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

It would be really useful I think if you could run a program such as DSLstats, for say a 24 hour period to see what the SNRM is doing throughout the day.
Wilsonline
Grafter

This doesn't appear to work with my Draytek 2860 according to the compatibility list.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Ah that's a shame Sad
I believe the Technicolor router you had before might work - is there any chance you could try that?
Wilsonline
Grafter

I'll dig it out and run it into WAN2 on the Draytek to save messing up my network. Smiley
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Excellent. Like I say, it would be I think very useful for Plusnet to see what the SNR is doing.
I am curious as to why Plusnet haven't replied to this thread again, yet?
Wilsonline
Grafter

I more drop last night, otherwise it has appeared to be fine.
I've not had a chance to hook out the old router yet, too busy landscaping my garden when I get home from work in the evenings.
Wilsonline
Grafter

The connection has been fine since the last post. Smiley
Fingers crossed it stays that way, especially with the rugby season proper starting soon!
There is however a bit of an issue in that the speed has settled at 11Mbps and under, so hardly great as that's a 30%+ drop in speed.  I can only think that the line has deteriorated somewhere.