cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Line Speed

SHB
Hooked

Low Line Speed

Recently switched to Plusnet Fibre Broadband from Sky hoping to enjoy the super fast "fibre" internet speed only realising that the download speed I was getting was only a max of 36.5mbps when doing a speed test when i was told i was going to get at least 56+ mbps.

I then checked my line speed on my Plusnet account and i said,

Estimated line speed:

73Mb (50 - 70)

Current line speed:

37Mb

Why is it so low? Why make me pay for a certain speed when i can't even achieve the minimum download rate?

Why is Plusnet ripping me off like this?

- SirHoneyBadger

19 REPLIES 19
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Low Line Speed

Are you able to log into your router and post the details on the Helpdesk tab which is in the advanced section - making sure you hide sensitive information such as your username.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi SHB and welcome to the Community Forum,
Sorry to hear your not getting the speeds advised. I've had a check into your connection and I'm see hints of a potential fault as like you said the speeds we are getting to the router should be around the 50-70Mbps as opposed to the 38.8 I'm seeing at the side.
I'd recommend then going through some basic checks Here so we can rule a few things out before we go down the route of raising a fault.
Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,
Ben

SHB
Hooked

I've checked the phone line and it isn't noisy. I switched the router to a different socket (turns out it was already connected to the master socket) and that just made it worst (wouldn't even work, at all). All the cables that were connected properly with no issues.

I then switched the micro filter that came with the Plusnet hub one with the one from our old router which actually made a difference. Now managing to achieve over 40mbps (highest was 44 exactly) but on average - during use - goes down to about 26mbps.

Even though the internet speed is now a little bit faster, it's still not reaching the minimum that i should be achieving from the fibre connection. I don't know what else to do. Either it's something to do with the internal wiring or something that's on Plusnet's end?

- SHB

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I've tested your line, and I can see your router is in sync at slightly below your estimates.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 46.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 16.2 Mbps

If you've tried plugging your router into the test socket, as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 I'd advise getting this raised to us at http://faults.plus.net to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SHB
Hooked

But i'm pretty sure that my estimates are between 55-70 mbps not 46mbps...

Why is my speed estimate lower compared to the fibre package i'm paying for?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The estimates are based on the capability of the line, this is largely due to the distance you are away from the cabinet. If you follow the links my colleague provided they'll allow us to investigate further.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SHB
Hooked

If the speed that we're getting is the best we can get on our line, then why advertise "Up to 76mbps" on our line?

It might be something to do with the wiring in the socket in our house but it's a bit misleading. Saying that the distance might be the reason why our speed is so low. Why didn't your system check before hand?

As you can tell, a bit misleading...I'm not asking for 76 mbps per say but i can't even reach the minimum i'm paying for...Again, where were the checks, the warnings...

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We advertise the service as up to 76Mb/s as this is the maximum possible. When you sign up we provide a tailored estimate which is part of the contract, as you're slightly below this we need to try and help get that sorted. Have you been through the links my colleague provided and reported this to us?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The fact that there is another socket, and the use of microfilters, strongly suggests that internal wiring is the problem, which is why using the test socket (if you have one) is needed.

SHB
Hooked

I've done test using the provided fault test from Plusnet themselves on their website, no faults. I've checked the wiring and there's nothing wrong. I've even called Plusnet to get this sorted. Nothing.

What am I supposed to do. How am I supposed to fix my internet issues? Hm? Considering the fact that my line speed fluctuates everyday, then why doesn't it increase an higher than 46? I'm paying for 56 - 73 ffs.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Do you have a test socket? When you plug the modem/router into the test socket, the download speed as shown by a speedtest may not increase immediately, but the stats reported in the Hub One's helpdesk page will immediately show if there's any improvement.

Without a filtered faceplate on the master socket, any additional sockets, even if there's nothing wrong with any of their wiring, will impact your speed. Accessing the test socket disconnects all the other sockets (assuming they've been wired up properly).

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Our tests are detecting a 'bridge tap' which normally points towards faulty internal wiring.

Have you been able to connect to the test socket?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SHB
Hooked

I don't think there is a test socket in my house, just some normal phone line sockets which to be honest are fairly old but the wiring - i think - is fine.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have a look here for info about the test socket.