Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Fibre speed

FIXED
AlbaF
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Low Fibre speed

Hello everyone. I recently switched to Fibre and it was supposed to be working since yesterday, but the speed has been at around 3Mbs since then, and I should have a minimum of 31Mbs. I know that there is no "waiting time" for fibre and it should work since day 1, so can someone check if there is a fault on the line? Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Low Fibre speed

@AlbaF

I would hazard a guess that you haven't been upgraded yet at all.

Plusnet are infamous for sending out a "You have been updated to fibre" when all that has happened is that the accounting system has been updated. Not the network.

As it is the weekend, I would suggest you phone Plusnet and ask what is happening. Staff may be along or may not. There is no guarantee of support on this website.

The website's mission statement says it all.

We're a friendly bunch of Plusnet customers helping each other out, answering questions and talking about everything under the sun from broadband to what we're having for breakfast.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
AlbaF
Dabbler

Yeah, I think you're right. I will try the phone tomorrow

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Pop your number into the DSL Checker website and have a look at the narrative below the speed estimates for a line containing 'There is an open order on your line which is due to complete by dd-mmm-yyyy'

It can take up until midnight on the date mentioned to go live.

AlbaF
Dabbler

Thank you @Browni ! I just checked and it says that the order is due to complete by the 16th of May. Guess I'll wait and see how the speed will be on the 17th and eventually call. Thank you very much!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You're welcome mate, fingers crossed all goes well on the 17th.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Unfortunately your fibre order has indeed been delayed to 16/05/2018 (due to engineer availability in your area). Apologies for the inconvenience caused by the lack of communication from us in regards to this.

You'll receive an automated email in the early hours of the morning advising the product change is complete. I'd expect the work to be carried out during normal business hours so hopefully by the evening you'll finally be on fibre.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AlbaF
Dabbler

Thank you for the info @Gandalf ! I will wait for the 16th and then update you on the situation, thanks again!

AlbaF
Dabbler

Ok, so yesterday Fibre was activated around 12pm. Everything is working fine but I noticed frequent drops of speed, from 26Mbps to 10Mbps and then up again, and down again.... and I'm not getting the minimum guaranteed speed (around 20Mbs instead of 31Mbps minimum). Do you guys think that is a normal thing in the first days of Fibre activation or it could be due to high traffic in the area or something else? 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests aren't showing any issues and your modem is in sync at 38mbps.

Are you connecting over a wired or wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AlbaF
Dabbler

I'm connected via WI-Fi because I use a PC and the router is a bit far away. Could be that the problem?

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Yes, wifi is not going to give as reliable speed as a wired connection.

Have a look at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/ and see if it helps.

AlbaF
Dabbler

Yes, I knew that cable connection is more stable, but I've used wi-fi for years and it never had such big drops of speed...well, cable is not an option for me sadly, guess I'll have to stick with the constant drops Sad  

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

I have the impression that you upgraded from an ADSL connection. I would guess that you may not have noticed variations in the wifi speed because the ADSL speed was so much slower than your current fibre line speed.

I suppose the question is whether the variation in wifi throughput really matters to you? If it does, then a search will find good advice on the forum to others about what other options you may have.

AlbaF
Dabbler

Fix

Yes, I've always had ADSL since this is the first time that Fibre is available to me. I never had drops of speed with the adsl, probably because of what you said, the speed was lower so I didn't notice (it was slow anyway and anytime Cheesy ). Well, thank you for letting me now that fibre is unstable on wifi,I never heard that before! My only possible solution now is to find a very long ethernet cable and try to fix it to the wall...let's see. Anyway, thanks guys for all the help! Wish you a great day and week!