cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Fibre Extra Sync Speeds

JHut
Hooked

Low Fibre Extra Sync Speeds

Hi, apologies for adding this to a busy forum... but unfortunately the ability to ask questions in the member centre has been removed, chat is busy, and I don't want to sit on hold for what is not an urgent technical issue.

I would be grateful for some support on low sync speeds with my Fibre Extra package. When I first upgraded to the Fibre Extra package I was getting consistent sync speeds of 80Mbps. I've noticed over a number of months, this has dropped to 60Mbps, however, when I re-contracted my package in February 2018, the speed estimates still report a line speed of 80Mbps. This is obviously quite a difference.

I have attached images of the Plusnet speed estimates, my router stats (TP-Link Archer VR200), and the results of a BT Wholesale test. I would be thankful for any support that would get my sync speeds back to the estimated figures. I know the line is capable of it!

Many thanks,

Joe

10 REPLIES 10
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Low Fibre Extra Sync Speeds

Welcome to the Forum @JHut

If I understand your attachments correctly, you got a BT speed test result of 35 Mbps (was that a wired connection?), and your router is connected at just under 60 Mbps, 60 Mbps seems to be towards the bottom end of your expected speed range, although the BT speed test gave a much lower speed range.

I think that you are correct that someone from Plusnet needs to look at this, to establish what is happening. Posting here is one good way to get that help but generally not at weekends when Plusnet staff may well not be active in the forum.

You have considered chat and phoning in but there is a further possibility of reporting a fault online. You could run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time and costs you nothing, but makes Plusnet aware of your issue, they have to look at it, and gets the issue into the queue for action.

Please let us know how you get on.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Joe, 

I've just had a look into this from our side and we're not seeing any obvious issues. 

In case you use a landline phone have you noticed any noise?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JHut
Hooked

Thanks for your replies both...

@BrightonRock... Sorry should've mentioned that was a WiFi result... I've had limited success with the Wholesale test this morning and the one time it worked was when I was back on WiFi! Undecided I've got another result over Ethernet now (attached). Speeds are reasonable considering the sync speed, it's just that the sync speed is 25% lower than it has been previously. Thanks for the links (particularly the fault reporting one)!

@adamwalker... Thanks for checking this out. No, there's no noticeable noise on the line.

Hoping this can be resolved as recently renewed contract and would've downgraded to standard Fibre if these were the speeds I knew I'd be obtaining!

Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

First of all do not do speed tests over wifi, there's no way of telling whether or not it's really a wireless issue. You need to make sure that any cause of the slow down is external to your property. To do this take the front section off your BT Master socket. You may need to remove two screws. After you pull the front off the Test Socket will be revealed in the back section. Plug a filter in here, use a different one if you have a spare. Do not connect a telephone. Plug your router into the filter using just the cable that came with your router and connect the router to your computer with an Ethernet cable. Now do a speed test and also look at the router stats.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Joe.

From what I can see your sync speed is within your speed estimates of 57.5mbps to 80mbps as shown here.

Whilst they're at the bottom as the speeds are within expectations there's not much we can do to investigate further.

I'd try the steps that @Baldrick1 have advised of. Plugging your router into the test socket will eliminate any internal wiring causing the issue.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JHut
Hooked

OK Second reply to this today, and my first one seems to be been lost/removed...

Thanks for the reply @Baldrick1... As already mentioned, I wouldn't have normally posted the WiFi results, but the Wholesale speed tester was being temperamental yesterday morning (and continues to be, TAP3 errors?) - I was more interested in the reported IP profile for my line. My previous reply appended an Ethernet result. I should've mentioned that I'm already in the test socket with a separate filter (however, my normal arrangement is a filtered faceplate, and there are no connected extension sockets in the house).I have also unplugged the phone now and restarted the router... stats are very similar to those previously posted.

@Gandalf Disappointing to hear this, as I have observed the line sync consistently at 80Mbps since upgrading to fibre, and only noticed the lower sync speed at contract renewal. I was assured by the renewals team that the the issue could be resolved. If I was aware that I'd be stuck with usable speeds of 55Mbps, I would've downgraded to the 40Mbps package and saved myself a few quid each month. Feel like I was given false hope/misled at renewal Sad.

Thanks,

Joe

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

OK Second reply to this today, and my first one seems to be been lost/removed...

Looks like it was caught by the spam filter.

From the looks of it we advised you of the estimated speed range in the e-mail we sent out following your call to re-contract your services but I'd like to listen to your call and I'll get back to you shortly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JHut
Hooked

Thanks for your reply @Gandalf... I see what you're getting at, and I appreciate your swift responses, but I'm not really interested in being dismissed with the 'within estimated speed range' when I have observed the line sync for the longest time at 80/20 Mbps. Yes, after contract renewal, my estimated speeds were quoted as 56.8 - 79.7 Mbps, but my original product estimate in August 2016 (and I haven't changed product) was 72 - 80 Mbps.

What I am asking is why has it dropped, and why does the estimate now have a huge tolerance on it? I am only 100m from the cabinet by following the road. So I would really expect to be seeing the upper range of this estimate (as I previously have done for the last 18 months or so!).

What I'm beginning to suspect - and someone more techy in such matters, feel free to correct me - is that my line is being hammered by the effect of HF cross talk... read...

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

Is this the reason why speed estimates are no so huge (with greater than 25% variation of the top speed), and that my line has dropped a whole 25Mbps in practical speed... I sincerely hope not Sad

Thanks...

Joe

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

It could well be crosstalk or interference. Have you rechecked that you have a quiet line by ringing 17070 and selecting  option 2?

Your stats are showing a SNR of 7.5dB. You might expect a short quiet line to run at 3dB which suggests that something is stopping the DLM in the cabinet automatically reducing it and in doing so increse your speed. I assume that the modem is left contually powered up? Have you tried a different router?

Ideally you need to run a monitoring program such as Dslstats to see what is going on with the WAN connection. I do not believe that this will run with a VR200, do you have access to a compatible router, see here http://dslstats.me.uk/routers.html? I keep an unlocked Huawei HG612 that I bought cheaply off Ebay plus a Plusnet Hub Zero (yuk!) in a cupboard should I ever need to  monitor my connection.

The unfortunate fact is that as you are connecting above the minimum speed the only way you are likely to get any movement is by keep kicking back with as much performance data as you can get for yourself, Whether you consider it is worth the effort, bearing in mind that at the end of the day you may get nowhere is your choice.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JHut
Hooked

Thanks again @Baldrick1. Sorry for the delayed reply - plagued by vehicular issues this week!

The quiet line test produces a feint crackle/hiss - but I am using a cordless phone (no corded one available at the moment), so could be just that. Landline get used so infrequently I don't know what it should sound like anymore!

My parents have a Billion 8800NL I put in for them, so could possibly swap over to that for a bit, and it also supports DSLStats. I've never been all that happy with the VR200 so might upgrade at some point (the WiFi performance is one of the worst I've ever experienced, including the freebie WiFi routers you get).

It'll be a few weeks before I can get over to theirs to swap, but I think your last statement sums it up... I am connecting above what is now considered minimum speed (although this minimum estimate has dropped considerably since I first took out the product) and gathering all this data will probably not provoke a response out of Plusnet/Openreach.

Thanks all for your replies everyone, I'll see how I go. Disappointed, but appreciate your help all the same.

Joe