Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Download Speed

FIXED
sue_h
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Low Download Speed

I was getting download speeds of 2 - 3 Mbps and reported the fault via support ticket.  The line was tested and found to be noisy and Open Reach supposedly fixed it.  They didn't.  I filled in a troubleshooter, did all the recommended tests and Open Reach supposed to have fixed it again yesterday and signed off the job as completed.

There has been an improvement but I am still getting download speeds of around 25 - 29 Mbps.  I have attached the best effort test from BT and the result of my speed tests.

I pay for 76 Mbps and always used to get between 55 - 60 Mbps but for the last few weeks I have got download speeds of less than 30 Mbps.  This is the maximum I get whether on ethernet cable with AV and firewall off or wireless.  I haven't changed anything with my equipment.

Is there anything I can do?

8 REPLIES 8
sue_h
Grafter

Re: Low Download Speed

Sorry.  Added speed test image.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Just wonder what it shows here Line speed

If that shows somewhere near what you expect to see I'd start looking closer to home.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear your speeds are low after the engineer visit.

I've tested your line today and I can see that there was a stuck profile on your line which was restricting your download speeds. This has now been removed and you should now be getting speeds of around 67mbps.

If you do not see any immediate improvement please reboot your router in the first instance

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
sue_h
Grafter

Some improvement since rebooting both routers.  Now have 41.7 Mbps download and 18.1 Mbps upload.

When I picked up the Openreach router I found that the ethernet connection that joins both routers together was sloppy and the LAN 1 light flashed on and off a few times and I had to wiggle the cable to get it to stay on.

I noticed that most people now have the Hub 1 router instead of the two I've got.  Would it help if I had one of those?  If so, how do I get one?

Just tested speed again and now down to 18.8 download.  

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

You'd need to take out a new contract to get our Hub One router.

If you want to do this I'd recommend speaking with our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
sue_h
Grafter

Thanks.  I've looked at doing that but as it now includes line rental and I have line rental saver until November, not sure.  Also I don't want to be stuck in a contract if Open Reach can't sort stuff out.

Is that new router any good, honesty appreciated, or should I stay as I am and buy a new router.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

That's a choice your going to have to make yourself really, I just got the Hub-One myself this week after the ECI Openreach modem I have been using for the past 4 years wasn't working as well as it should.

The Hub-One is ok it's nothing special it's pretty basic on all fronts, i can now see some basic line stats somthing that wasn't possible with the Openreach modem so that's one plus for me.

As Mathew says unless you take out a new contract or just recently re-newed one as i did you wont be able to get the HUb-One for free, and if you do you will be locked into the contract for a further 12-18 months.

you could buy your own depending on what your looking for, Some on the forum say the BT home hub 6 is good enough you can pick one up on ebay pretty cheaply for around £30-40, as it's a ISP based modem/router from BT it's pretty basic in what it offers it's just a updated model on what the plusnet Hub-one is which in turn is just a re-badged BT home Hub 5A to begin with .

if you want something a bit more powerful that gives more stats etc then you could go for something like the Billion 8800AX R2 which you can get for around £90+ depending on where you get it from, or something else there are a few options to go with, the Kitz website has a list of modem/router combos available so take a look there if needs be.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

sue_h
Grafter

Fix

Thanks guys for all your help.  An engineer turned up this morning out of the blue and tested everything.  Turns out the old Open Reach router was okay after all, it was the old Plusnet one that was playing up.  I'm using an ethernet cable for now and getting 62.5 Mbps download so I'm more than happy with the line speed. 

Just signed up for a new contract so I get the replacement router and it's £5 a month cheaper as I was out of contract with the old one.  They honoured the Line Rental Saver too, well pleased all round.

Happy days!