Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of packet lost and latency

grahamroberts11
Dabbler

Lots of packet lost and latency

Hi,

My line is getting packet loss and high latency, its making gaming and streaming video a nightmare. I'm on a wired connection.

I noticed that on this thread you were able to update some network settings to fix a similar issue for another customer.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Lots-of-packet-lost-and-latency/m-p/1555116#M79056

Would you be able to look into the issues i'm having please.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Lots of packet lost and latency

Hi @grahamroberts11 

Looking into this, we are unable to perform the same action as on the thread you linked. 

I've tested your circuit and can't see any issues nor faults. 

Are you trying to game and stream at the same time as other devices are using the connection for anything at all? 

Thanks, 

MoR

grahamroberts11
Dabbler

No other devices are connected or in use at the same time. I ran a packet loss test using the cmd command prompt window and pinging different servers. On average between 5-10% packets were lost. It’s an intermittent issue, but has been very evident today.
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @grahamroberts11

Since we aren't seeing any issues on our side, would you be able to provide some screenshots of the pings/trace routes you've performed?

grahamroberts11
Dabbler

The issue is happening again now. I have attached some screenshots of pinging google.com

Would you be able to check my line again now to see if you are able to identify any issues please? @Optimatts 

grahamroberts11
Dabbler

Here's another screenshot

i'm using this in the cmd prompt

ping www.google.com -n 100

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @grahamroberts11,

I've retested your line today and I can see that the connection seems to have gone a little downhill since we'd last tested it. I can see there have been a few drops in connection today and I can see the speeds are running below the estimated range. As this is the case, I'd strongly recommend setting the router up within the test socket in the property, which we have a guide on here. I would also recommend running through our troubleshooting guide if you haven't already, which can also be found here.

If there's no improvement after carrying these steps out then we may need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, so please let us know how this goes and we'll pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

- Alex

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
grahamroberts11
Dabbler

Thanks for getting back to me. I've already been through the troubleshooting and an engineer came out a couple of months ago. He fitted a new master socket and couldn't find any other faults at the time of testing. 

My neighbours are having similar issues with their internet connections and they are using other ISPs.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @grahamroberts11,

Thank you for confirming that you've already been through the troubleshooting checks and that the previous engineer was unable to determine the cause of this problem. I'm sorry to hear that your neighbours are also experiencing connection problems.

I've tested your line and the test hasn't picked up the cause of the connection issues, though I can see that the current sync speed of 57.4mbps is below your line's estimates of 65.2 - 80mbps. It's been unable to test the voice line side, please can you confirm whether the landline was in use at this time?

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 57.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 16.1 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Not Run - Unable to run
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Detected
Cross Talk Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 393.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From18:30to19:45
Interference Location Other
Interference Observed In Days 2
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-67M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-17M Upstream, Retransmission High
Time Stamp 2019-07-27T11:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 59.9 Mbps 66.9 Mbps 61.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 11.9 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 14.8 Mbps
Up Time 863.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-08-09T10:02:09Z 2019-08-09T10:17:09Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 1
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
grahamroberts11
Dabbler

Thank you @EmilyD for looking into this and carrying out these tests. I can confirm that I do not a landline phone connected. For the past few months I never seen speed tests results be within the 65.2 - 80 mbps estimate.

Are there any actions that can be made to improve my line speed to be consistently within the estimates? Also, what do you think could be causing the intermittent connection drops and packet loss/latency?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @grahamroberts11

I'm afraid there's nothing we are able to do remotely to boost your speed closer to estimates.

Your current sync speed is below the estimates for what your line is expected to be hitting. This means the line is under-performing due to some circumstance. But we can't see what that circumstance is via testing.

Outside of doing standard troubleshooting and getting connected to your test socket the next step really would be to look towards an engineer visit.

Should this be the case, I can see your previous fault has timed out and we would need you to raise a new fault here and let us know when you've done so. We'll then get the ball rolling.

grahamroberts11
Dabbler

Thank you I have raised the fault with question ID 192979852

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for reporting the fault @grahamroberts11 

I've just progressed that for you and added a reply Here

Feel free to nudge us over here once you've responded with the requested information

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet