Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of packet lost and latency

FIXED
HL
Hooked

Lots of packet lost and latency

Hi,

My line is getting packet loss and high latency, its making gaming a nightmare.

Im on a wired connection

Please see attached graph

11 REPLIES 11
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Lots of packet lost and latency

Hi @HL

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've reviewed your account and although I can see a few drops over the last seven days, your connection has been stable for the last 36 hours and is syncing at 71.6mb/s.

Could you confirm that you're currently connected via a wired connection and that the speed tests on that connection are in line with the above?

Best wishes,

Dave

HL
Hooked

Hi Randall,

Im connected to the router via a wire, my speeds on tests are around 66 mbps down and 17-20 mbps up. Packet loss on these tests can vary from 1-10% just depends on if you catch it on that test or not. Some games are unplayable, some handle packet loss a little better but still effects game play.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/36052569

Server   Nett
Speed
RTT / Jitter
Avg
Re-xmit
Avg
Cwnd
Avg
Dublin, Ireland, EU (amazon) d6 2.55 Mb/s 87.7±4.8ms 2.4% 18
St. Ghislain, Belgium, EU (google) d6 3.18 Mb/s 85±4.2ms 8.2% 13
Frankfurt, DE, EU (INTERNAP) d5 2.97 Mb/s 93.7±5.4ms 1.6% 20
London, UK (linode) d6 1.93 Mb/s 83.8±9.6ms 3.2% 13
Amsterdam, Netherlands, EU (softlayer) d3 2.79 Mb/s 92.8±4.3ms 2.6% 22
Darmstadt, Germany, EU (nynex.de) d6 1.95 Mb/s 96.6±9.3ms 4% 17
St. Ghislain, Belgium, EU (google) u3 1.87 Mb/s 198.6±99.3ms - 10
Darmstadt, Germany, EU (nynex.de) u3 4.73 Mb/s 342.6±171.3ms - 10

With a ping google.co.uk -t on second monitor while playing average ping of around 37ms with spikes to 75ms at random and the odd request failed.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @HL,

Thank you for confirming that you're on a wired connection and that the speed you're receiving on your side is close to what we're seeing on the tests from this side.

I'm sorry that you're experiencing these packet loss and latency issues and that this is affecting your gaming.  Please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
HL
Hooked

Hi @EmilyD

Issues still present after following that.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

From what I can see there's interleaving on your line which is a form of error correction but the downside of this is that it can increase latency.

This is likely caused by the drops in your connection you had not long ago.

Are you still using the router we sent you along with the Openreach modem?

If so could you try plugging your computer directly into the modem setting up a PPPoE connection as explained Here?

This will help narrow down where the issue lies by taking the router out of the equation.

Thanks

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
HL
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf

I am using a TP Link W9970 modem router, i no longer have the old plusnet router or open reach modem. Maybe worth noting the router is only about a week old and until yesterday seemed to be working fine.

Is it possible to get interleaving turned off on my line? This packet loss and lag is really hurting my gaming Sad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I am using a TP Link W9970 modem router, i no longer have the old plusnet router or open reach modem. Maybe worth noting the router is only about a week old and until yesterday seemed to be working fine.

Ah, I see. This may explain the drops on the 13th July? Which has likely triggered interleaving. We're also seeing that there was 0% uptime on the 19th June, can you remember what happened then?

Is it possible to get interleaving turned off on my line? This packet loss and lag is really hurting my gaming Sad

I'm afraid not as interleaving is solely handled by dynamic line management (DLM) software at the exchange which we can't influence.

Could I ask which game(s) you're having problems with? It may also be worth running WinMTR by downloading it Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
HL
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf

No idea what happened 19th of June.

Was having trouble with Realm Royale and Planetside 2

Here is my latest Thinkbroadband monitor

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f6db0fae0be987984846ec34e6867b8254...

But i also monitored the planetside server a realm server and thinkbroadband's ping box (the one that does the monitoring) listed below:

https://share.pingplotter.com/d2Z4BcxSmd8

https://share.pingplotter.com/AQPfcf4AM8k

https://share.pingplotter.com/JEPFbwjcQmi

https://share.pingplotter.com/jT4aRBLXokG

Not a lot of packet loss at all, some wack higher end latency at times tho. Is it possible that the Thinkbroadband monitor is just broken?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for this @HL

Trying something here, I've made a change with how your connection routes across our network.

Can you let me know if you still experience problems whilst gaming?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
HL
Hooked

@Gandalf

Sorted cheers

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear that! Thanks for letting us know.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet