cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of interruptions to the service, particularly during evenings

gmatkin
Grafter

Re: Lots of interruptions to the service, particularly during evenings

Thanks for this. I've used the BT page for measuring speeds, and will look for an earlier measurement.

Gavin  

gmatkin
Grafter

Now running at 12ms; 9.66Mbps (download); 9.25 Mbps (upload).

The only figures for an earlier test that I can see is a recent one that I made earlier this afternoon.

Gavin Atkin

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@gmatkin 

Attached is an earlier version from the BT wholesale site, shows the speed when BT last checked the line.

Really the GEA (of which I have no control over, I don't work for PN) is more useful as it includes information about interference, crosstalk and other factors that can affect your line.

Bear in mind VDSL uses radio frequencies to carry the connection to your property, and is heavily influenced by the above and the distance. The path from the green cabinet to the exchange is fibre.

I assume you are using the plusnet hub?, if so the troubleshooting page will give more information re the line.

gmatkin
Grafter

I was looking at the wrong BT page. The correct one produced the following (telephone number and cabinet details removed).

I asked for the GEA test following your advice, but haven't received any communication as yet.  

As the BT test shows much better speeds than we're seeing, I wonder whether the fault lies in our PlusNet hub?   

G

gmatkin
Grafter

I also found this BT diagnostics utility which produced the attached report.

It produced the following:

- Monday 2 November 2020 | 19:42:58 17 Ms

- Download speed achieved during the test was 10.03 Mbps

- For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20-27.76 Mbps

- Upload speed achieved during the test was 9.15 Mbps

- For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 10 Mbps

Gavin

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@gmatkin 

Your results from the different tests/report are a little confusing.

Firstly the Wholesale report states a download range between 60(worst case) and 80 (best case) whereas the test on 2020-10-27 shows 29.99 down, 20 up.

This may suggest a line issue, especially if you are getting disconnects.

Then look at the performance test today, 10,03 down, 9.15 up, a big difference from the results on the 29th.

A couple of points, have you changed any of your equipment/wiring/installed any new electrical equipment since the 29th?, are you doing the tests on a computer wired to the router, ie not wifi?

Also your profile seems a bit low, its possible a line fault has occurred which altered the speed.

Before you fault the line, try to get the router figures from the troubleshooting page, and also familiarise the testing procedure because PN will insist you follow these before they take the issue up with Openreach. Go to the help page here

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/

and for the quiet test

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Performing-a-Quiet-Line-Test

The point of these steps is to try to localise the fault, ie your wiring or Openreach's.

The line of demarcation is the test socket on the master box, its location is behind the front panel, and you will need a filter to plug into the socket, you will have one supplied with the router.

Hopefully a GEA will turn up to further identify the problem area.

gmatkin
Grafter

To be fair, the tests are a mixture of:

• short usb cable connected to the router and a laptop
  • a PC connected to the router via a powerline

We use the wifi, but I haven't used it for testing. No wiring has changed: the router plugs into a socket in our upstairs bedroom, just where the (overhead) telephone line reaches the house. The green box is a couple of hundred yards up the road.

We have a clear dial tone. The router is plugged into the master socket. We have only one microfilter (we use wireless extension phones, with the base phone also next to the master socket). I have no alternative available router to test.

At 22.15 on the 2nd November I conducted a quiet line test and heard a low level fry. Our phone line is with PlusNet. At 22.30 I rang the quiet line with the router unplugged and heard the same low level fry.

Thanks, Gavin

gmatkin
Grafter

Just after 22.30pm, I found the phone service troubleshooting page I followed the procedure and instigated a line test, which found no fault.

I have no idea what to do now.

I was told on Wednesday that an intermittent had been indentified and that it would be dealt with. How long do these things take, does anyone know? I'm increasingly tempted to consider another supplier, as I do not appear to be making any progress.

Thanks for your help.

Gavin Atkin  

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@gmatkin 

It appears that you have an intermittent fault according to PN, then they should have informed Openreach. It is not really in the ISP power to get Openreach to speed up a case.

Unless you have Virgin cable or 4G/5G broadband available, any other supplier will use the same line and cabinet,

in addition you would probably have to pay early exit fee's.

gmatkin
Grafter

I realise it's all the same lines, at least with most ISPs. However, if the service isn't up to the guaranteed specification I imagine I would have good grounds to argue that I would not owe any extra fees. 

But I'd really rather not reach that point. I'd like to get a service that works properly in the simplest possible way. 

I'm getting no information from the company. I haven't heard from anyone from PlusNet in days and they haven't told me what they're doing and I don't know what more I can do.

How would anyone be expected to feel about that?

Gavin

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@gmatkin 

I have done as much as I can with the information you have supplied.

I requested you supply the router information and confirm it is the Plus Net hub, no information has been provided.

Until I get further information I cannot comment further.

I would suggest you add a comment on the ticket system stating what you have done and request an update.

gmatkin
Grafter

I rang. Apparently there's a fault at the exchange and it is to be dealt with by Openreach, with a deadline of the 4th November.

What's strange to me is that the records show the first report of a fault on Friday; that's surprising because I first spoke to the helpline on Wednesday.

I still say it would be reassuring to receive some communication to tell us that our issue is being dealt with. Even a standard issue that said something like 'You have a line fault and it is being fixed' would have saved everyone the bother of my ringing this morning.

Gavin 

gmatkin
Grafter

I have tried to provide information, but perhaps I forgot to mention that we have the PlusNet router.

You also said this: 'In addition any statistics you can get out of your router could help, again details in the documentation for the router.' I still have no idea what you meant.

I'd also say that you haven't said what your role is in this. Do you work for PlusNet please? Just so that we're all clear.

I'm not entirely clear what the ticket system is; I'm sure it's there, but looking around on the PlusNet website I can't immediately spot it. Like most folks I don't understand either the tech or the language in all this, as I only have to deal with it when a problem arises, which hopefully is a fairly rare event.      

Gavin

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@gmatkin 

I am now aware you have a Plusnet router, so 

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

will show you how to access the router, then you need to find the trouble shooting menu option if I recall (note I do not have a plusnet router in current use) and make it available here.

This is your decision.

I do not work for Plusnet and I do not work for BT or any of its subsidiaries.

To access the ticket system you need to log on using the username /password supplied when you joined,this will be on your Welcome to Plusnet document.

https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login is the link you require.

Without a ticket, Plusnet will not be able to initiate a fault, they don't as far as I know initiate them based on comments on this community.

You should be aware that this community is run by the users of Plusnet's services, and in the main they are doing this to assist fellow users who are not technically savvy.

This is done in their  own unpaid time.

Due to the technical nature of ADSL/VDSL and the antiquated telephone system there will be a high incidence of faults and issues. Hopefully Fibre to the Property or to call it a simpler way, full fibre, broadband will become more reliant, faster and more enjoyable.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hey up @gmatkin Smiley Yes we are tier 3, but we are still hear supporting our customers. Hope you're safe throughout these awkward times! You've been advised that there is an external fault on your line that is impacting your service, our Suppliers have advised an estimated response time of 04/11/20 17:00:00 to hopefully fix the issue. You can view and update your Fault here. 

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team