cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost internet connection.

JPN
Rising Star

Lost internet connection.

This evening at approx 20:00 we lost our internet connection. The home network is fine, the router and modem appear to be functioning normally. The router is attempting to reconnect but has been unable to for the last two hours. I have rebooted it twice and still no connection. Telephone line appears to be fine (i.e. a dial tone is present when I pick up the handset).
Suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5
JPN
Rising Star

Re: Lost internet connection.

The connection had re-established itself by 0630 this morning. Would anyone have an idea why such an outage might occur?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @JPN, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've had intermittent connection issues as of recent. Testing your connection from this side we aren't detecting any underlying issues or faults behind the loss of connection yesterday evening. I can see the connection looks to have remained solid both before and after the drops we saw yesterday evening. I'd recommend then, monitoring the connection moving forwards and should you see the connection drop again moving forwards to please run through a few internal checks your side that will help rule a few factors out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Should the drops look to return and persist then please let us know and we'll happily investigate and progress this issue further for you.

JPN
Rising Star

Thanks for the response.  I wouldn't say that the event could be described as 'intermittent connection issues' as the connection has been rock solid for years.  Its just that last night it cut out for some hours, then re-established.  It is good to hear that testing your end shows no underlying faults.   

Could I just clarify - your response suggests that you could see 'drops' (plural), where I was aware only of the initial cut off at around 20:00 which was still in effect when I went to bed around 23:00 but had cleared by around 06:30 this morning. Do your records show when the connection was restored, and whether there was more than one disconnection (other than my rebooting the router twice between around 20:30 and 21:30)?

Thanks for your help.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @JPN and thanks for getting back to me. My apologies on my preivous wording regarding the issue. We did only see 1 drop in connection yesterday and it looks to have been ongoing for some time as seen by the graph below.

I described it as intermittent as the connection has since returned and been connected since then. I'd advise then, should everything remain connected your side then great it was just a one off drop but should you see further drops look to persist then at this point I'd recommend going through the steps above that will help rule a number of internal factors out. Should the loss of connection persist after the internal checks then please get back to us and we'll happily look to progress this further for you.

JPN
Rising Star

Thank you again for the clarification.  The connection has been fine today; I will continue to keep an eye on it and will let you know if there are any recurrences.