cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost internet connection - fibre broadband

Purplecath37
Hooked

Lost internet connection - fibre broadband

We've been experiencing problems with our internet over the last week and in the last few days the problem has escalated and wifi connection has been repeatedly dropping out during the day. We have been restarting the router each time this happens and it then reconnects. However today we have completely lost connection. I've worked through the support troubleshooting with no success. This is urgent as I work from home and currently have 2 kids at home who also require internet for school work. Can anyone advise please
7 REPLIES 7
KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Lost internet connection - fibre broadband

Hi @Purplecath37

I am sorry to hear of the problems with your broadband.

I can see that you now have an active connection, but the broadband has dropped out frequently. I've ran a test on the line but have been unable to find a fault that would be causing the issue. If you haven't already done so, I would first advise having a run through our troubleshooting steps here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
Purplecath37
Hooked

Hi Katie,
Thanks for your reply. We do have a connection now but it keeps dropping out.
I've worked through the troubleshooting as far as I can. However the next step suggests connecting our laptop direct to the modem, but our laptop doesn't have an ethernet connection port.
Is there anything else we can try?

Cath
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Purplecath3, thanks for getting back in touch. If the basic troubleshoot steps above don't look to have helped then I'd recommend when you notice further drops persist to set your router up in your test socket to help determine the next best course of action. This can be done by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
Given how intermittent the drops look to be effecting your connection I'd advise if it's not clear straight away to leaving your connection in this set up for 24-48 hours to see if there's still a problem. Let us know how it goes.

Purplecath37
Hooked

Hi Ben,

We have tried plugging the router directly into the test socket and have left it in the test socket for the past 2 days. Unfortunately this has not resolved the problem . Internet is still regularly dropping multiple times each day.

Further advice please?Huh

Cath
Purplecath37
Hooked

Hi Plusnet.
Is anyone there? We're still having the same problem and no reply from anyone at Plusnet since last week.
Cath
Purplecath37
Hooked

Hi is anyone able to help? Weve not had a reply in 3 weeks? Tried all the suggestions. No joy. Losing internet approx 10 times a day. Twice during a work video conference today. Really poor.
Are we expected to pay normal rates for this service?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @Purplecath37 and apologies for the delayed response.

I'm sorry for the issues with your connection. Before we book an engineer to investigate further, I think it'd be worth checking your router (and modem because I believe you may still be using the Openreach modem and Technicolor router from long ago) is still in working order. The best way to do this is to replace it. 

We can send you an up to date router that has a modem built in but we may need to recontract you in order to send one out free of charge. To arrange this I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632. If you prefer to buy your own modem/router, the settings Here should help you set it up.

If you're still having issues, could you reply to this ticket with some availability for an engineer to visit? The available timeslots are 8am to 1pm, or 1pm to 6pm. The engineer will contact you on the day and do their best to investigate the fault externally. They'll only go inside your property after taking the necessary precaution and agreeing this with you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet