Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost around 20Mb of download speed since contract change

clownfish
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Lost around 20Mb of download speed since contract change

Last week I changed my Plusnet contract as Plusnet advised my previous contract has expired and signing up for a new one would save me £4.99 a month.  I also got a Hub One router sent as part of this which was also Plus Nets idea as I they decided the fault I was experiencing at the time was a router or openreach modem issue.

Prior to this I was getting download speeds of 62-65Mbits, now its around 45Mbits and shows no sign of edging back up.

Here are the results of my testing.  BT Speed test:

Download 47.79.66Mbs, upload 15.18Mbs, ping latency 23.13

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High

Low

High

Low

VDSL Range A (Clean)

Available

--

Yes

Yes

--

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

Available

--

Yes

Yes

--

It seems I am outside range A and only just in range B for downloads.  Uploads are slower then before as well as I would regularly hit around 19.

Nite the router is showing that the connection has been up for just on 4 days which is slightly odd because as far as I am aware the router has not been powered down and neither have we had a power cut

So the simple question is, does the above warrant raising a ticket or should I wait a few more days to see if speeds return to normal?

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Lost around 20Mb of download speed since contract change

It looks like a fault report has already been raised. Likely we'll need to arrange an engineer visit.

I'll reply to your fault ticket

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
clownfish
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Who raised the fault as a ticket because it wasn't me?

There was a previous fault raised prior to me changing contract and getting the hub one. That was due to a complete loss of connection which seemingly fixed itself as I got connection back before the hub one arrived and coincidentally on the same day my contract changed.

It is only since then I noticed the poor speeds and I myself have not raised a formal fault ticket about the issue.

I posted here to see if anyone could advise if I should raise a ticket or wait to see if things improved.

So, has the ticket been raised by plusnet based on the information I supplied above?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

The ticket was raised via the Member Centre last week.

Your router is in sync below the estimates. Renewing your contract will not be the cause of that.

If you've tried the test socket then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet