Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost a chunk of speed

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Lost a chunk of speed

HI can someone on the CRT check my line please i awoke this morning to see that my IP profile has gone from  55.9Mb to 48.15Mb  nothing to indicate why.
What is strange is my upload has gone from 5Mb to 8Mb something the engineer who came  when the upload dropped from 10Mb to 5Mb couldn't get back despite putting me on a new pair and a reset,  now all of a sudden I gain some back and loose a chunk of the download in the process. not happy  Angry  

Download speedachieved during the test was - 46.66 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-48.15 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 48.15 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.48Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

33 REPLIES 33
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Lost a chunk of speed

It looks like the drop was at 3:24 am this morning.

Our testing doesn't show any particular reason why it's dropped.
The only thing I can suggest is trying a resync.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Terranova667
Pro

Hi matt thanks for the reply I'll give it a go, can you post my line profile is there any Interleaving or banding ect going on ?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Nope your on a open profile "0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Terranova667
Pro

Thanks again Matt hmm then i have no idea where the speed has gone, cant be cross talk again can it i already went from 65Mb - 55Mb due to cross talk now another 7Mb this is getting stupid, I'll do a Modem reset see what happens hopefully it wont drop any further    Cry
hbb98
Dabbler

@terranova667
Your speeds are quite like mine. Best download from TTB was 66.61 (14/06/2015), best upload 18.46 220/07/2014.
Nowadays, I'm luck to get 58 down, 18 up. 
But for a day or two, the following is typical
11.44 Mbps (single thread) 52.16 Mbps (*6) 15.75Mbps(up)
I could be wrong, but there seems to be grotesque congestion somewhere.
Of course, no announcement/posting/warning from Plusnet.  No graphs to look
at to verify it's not just me.  Only wiggly TTB graphs on a speedtest (and the
problems could of course somewhere nearer or in TTB.  Bah!
Terranova667
Pro

Well did a reset of the modem and gained next to nothing  Sad
this is how it is now
Download speedachieved during the test was - 47.29 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-49.04 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 49.04 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.58Mbps
Additional Information:
what's going on it's been 55.9Mb down 5Mb up for nearly year after the last engineer visit and all of a sudden this,  what i don't understand is why the upload has suddenly gained back on the expense of the download where had it gone could something in the cab be faulty or something i dunno and what caused the drop in the first place it wasn't DLM because the profile is fully open Interleaving would have been applied if the line was unstable so something caused the drop and at 3 in the morning it certainly wasn't me. 
i'm still above estimate for anything further to be done ?   can someone from CRT confirm that.  so looks like i'm stuck with this not happy at all  Sad
englishrick
Grafter

Most probably Crosstalk again, I too am suffering from it and have been for months now, It wont be long before my Fibre is back down to old adsl speeds... The same with everything in this god forsaken country, infrastructure is shite as companies are not investing and only thinking of keeping the shareholders happy!!!
Terranova667
Pro

Maybe it is crosstalk i dunno the strange thing about this is gaining back almost my full upload even though the engineer sent out last year to get it back after it dropped from 10Mb to 5Mb wasn't able to despite a new line pair to the cab and a full reset i asked then if it were cross talk and he said no, now all of a sudden on it's own accord almost a year later the upload magically re-appears at the expense of download as far as i'm aware cross talk doesn't do that but maybe it does, if I wasn't on a ECI cab with a ECI modem i could get stats to see what the hell is going on.     
Terranova667
Pro

Can someone on the CRT please run some tests i have had another drop and whilst the download has dropped a little to 48.47 Mb the upload had dropped a ton to 4.31 Mb something is not right two drops in a week and i'm loosing speed this is not cross talk so i don't want to hear that  Sad
Download speedachieved during the test was - 46.73 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-48.47 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 48.47 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.31Mbps
Additional Information:
Current line speed: 49 Mb
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Terranova667
this is not cross talk
How do you know - have you attached your own test equipment and analysed the waveform  :P? I would be a little surprised if crosstalk required the DLM to intervene twice in one week as I assume interference is fairly constant(*) but maybe someone else has just been connected and crosstalk has worsened again. Is yours a relatively new cabinet? If it's been there a while then two new users in the space of a week seems unlikely but if it's only been active for a month or so it's more likely.
Ultimately crosstalk isn't a fixed 'thing'. Some people never get affected by it. Others get affected by multiple users over time. You could go years without noticing a problem then suddenly a neighbour signs up and wham! you've been hit.
Sadly I suspect that until/unless your downstream speeds drop below 40Mb/s BT won't want to look at it. I don't think they take upstream into account.
(*)By 'constant' here I mean for a particular cabinet configuration. If/when a subscriber leaves or joins crosstalk can change.
Terranova667
Pro

i'm in no mood for wise cracks i know it's not cross talk  because it doesn't behave like this
Terranova667
Pro

No one for CRT around again this is becoming a habit of late
Terranova667
Pro

I went to online chat and the agent told me to raise a fault so i have done that, ticket #110327379  lets see what come of it.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Test Outcome Pass 
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 50.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 4.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
The upload speed is below where I'd expect, the fault is with the team here to look in to so hopefully they'll be able to help out.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.