Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Connection all evening

FIXED
Lisa3
Dabbler

Lost Connection all evening

Please can anyone help. This evening about 4 hours ago I unplugged my router from the master socket and plugged it into another socket in the house because the WiFi signal was very low and we really wanted WiFi in another room in the house. Since then we have lost connection, the powerlight is orange and the broadband is flashing read. We’ve tried trouble shooting using the plusnet hub guidebook and we’ve tried a factory reset but we still have no connection. Please can someone help us. Many thanks Lisa
8 REPLIES 8
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Lost Connection all evening

Hi

Assuming you have used a microfilter on the extension, my guess is the extension cable is not up to specification for vdsl.

How is the extension connected to the master socket?, is it plugged into the master socket, or connected inside the master socket box?

I had a similar experience when I went from adsl2+ to vdsl2+, the extension to my office would not work.

I purchased the correct cable and now get the same speeds compared to using the modem at the master socket.

I used a CW1308 Patch Lead, 10m long in my case, with RJ11 connectors, from the master socket filtered output to the modem.

CW1308 is the cable type/specification used by BT

Less than 10 pounds cost.

Alternatively you could try using mains extenders but more expensive.

Lisa3
Dabbler

Thank you for your message. I. I don’t think it is anything to do with the cable as I have had no problems with the cable as everything had been working ok previously. The problem began when I unplugged the router and tried to run it from a different socket just so my tenants could get a signal in order to watch an important (to them) football match. From that point on the broadband connection was lost. I forgot to mention in my previous post that when we couldn’t connect on that other non master socket I plugged the router straight back into the master socket but have still got an orange bar of light and a red flashing light. It is very frustrating. I don’t know why this has happened except I assume it is because of the unplugging. I know i was told not to but previously it had never made any difference. I feel really bad for my tenants who now can’t watch their football match at all. 

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

Hi

The only other thing I can think if is apart from a broken router, is the cable between the router and the socket, or the micro filter.

Is your master socket equipped with two sockets, the smaller for vdsl/adsl and the other for the phone?

Lisa3
Dabbler

Hi Again

Thanks. I have now tried swapping the cable but that made no difference. Yes my master socket is equipped with two sockets. An engineer installed the master socket cap last monday and he plugged the adsl box into the larger socket, marked for phone. This worked well until last night.

I suppose the router could have broken...

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

Assuming the obvious, is the phone working, though it would be really co-incidental that the line failed just as you moved the router.

There are instructions on this site about taking the front panel off the master box, and connecting to the test socket that is behind the front panel, then using a micro-filter to see if it works, this rules out the filter in the front panel and all internal wiring.

It may be the front panel has moved slightly resulting in a bad connection.

Apart from that can't think of any thing else except testing the router on another line.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Fix

If you have a filtered Master Socket then the DSL signal will not get to any extension sockets. Move the router back to the Master Socket and see if it works from there. As you have done a factory reset, you may need to enter the username and password again.

Lisa3
Dabbler

Thank you so much. I have spoken to support. You were quite right it was a problem with the cable. I had stupidly plugged the adsl box into the master socket and this was the wrong thing to have done. The router cable is now in the smaller socket and the broadband is working again. Feeling a bit stupid! But hurrah that it is working. 

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @Lisa3

I am pleased to hear everything has been resolved for you.

I would like to take time to thank our community forum members @dws1900 and @Mustrum for their assistance.

Should you require any further assistance, please do get back in touch with us.

Many thanks.