Lost 10Mb 7 days ago - GEA please

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Re: Lost 10Mb 7 days ago - GEA please

Thanks for getting back to us @snadge 

I'm sorry to see your speeds have dropped. To be honest I'd doubt we'd be able to investigate further unless your speeds have dropped significantly/below the estimates and expectations of your line. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your speeds and let us know if that happens. We'll then look to arrange another engineer.

In the meantime, other than seeing your speeds dropping on a speed test, are you experiencing any performance problems?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

what I can say is the engineer replaced my old (but still acceptable NTE5A) with an NTE5C, these SSFPs are known to be problematic, its well documented that they give off higher error rates and cause strange results in router stats applications, now I didn't realise this until after he left, I asked the previous engineer NOT to put one on for this reason so he didn't (as he said he was gunna) ...anyway, after the 2nd engineer left I knew with that 5C on it would be HOURS before INP would kick in (before it would be months/weeks - bad weather, then go back up after 10 days) - now this leaves me to believe that the 5C is the cause of the almost instant drop to 65Mb due to high errored second counts - this means now I have to spend £20 on an oldeer more stable SSFP because he took the old one with him

so... ive lost 10Mb speed  AND its costing me £20 to get my NTE5A put back on to try and keep INP off as long as possible....great!

two engineers say they can't fix it and don't know what the cause is???  they...tried to blame VDSL take up - but that happens over several months as the Net Attainable Rate slowly dips....not an overnight 10Mb drop from a 4 hour down-time...no thats not true at all.

what is my next step - ceo office? ombudsman?  theres obviously a fault and needs recitfied...and why should I pay to replace my NTE5A

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @snadge,

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the outcome of the latest engineer visit and the NTE being changed. If an engineer notices that a customer has an older NTE they will normally replace this with the latest version. I haven't been made aware of any specific problems with the NTE5C.

Testing your line isn't picking up any connection problems at the moment and the line's sync speed is within the estimates for the line. As this is the case, we wouldn't be able to investigate this any further at this stage.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 65.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 358.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-10-15T14:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 65.2 Mbps 70.5 Mbps 68.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 785.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-10-18T14:15:36.465+01:00 2019-10-18T14:30:36.465+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
snadge
Aspiring Pro

so who do i speak to next regarding this?

it is well documented amongst engineers that thes 5C's are problematic, one just has to search, some info on kitz too but other websites

my speed dropped 10MB in 4 hours (this is not VDSL uptake)..something went wrong, first issue also caused a NDT and two engineers didn't resolve it the speed issue - the fe=act it went off for 4 hours and came back on 10Mb slower and high power levers and no dial-tome tells anyone with any sense an error was made and has not been recifctfied

you should know that in 2011 i had a similar issue with Sky, it took several hundred calls...7 engineer visits (broadband engineers and a specials fault) and all BUT the 2nd broadband engineer found the issue "split pair" - so this shows alone the skill-set of these engineers is hit...mostly miss (no offece to those who are reading who iam sure are great'), it went on for over 6 months and had my head in bits taking time off work at that time for no fix,,, i got it sorted and buy way of apology i got line retnal free for a year and a free hub - im not excpecting this, but impecting that someone should find ths fault or my next port of call will be the CEO office

I got in touch with the CEO office who put me in direct access to Sky Networik Services to Co-Op on the problem with BTopenareach and as soon as I had someone else on board who knows their stuf we got it sorted withtin 10 days...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @snadge 

I'm afraid there's no way we'd be able to provide you with an older style master socket because Openreach are starting to renew master sockets with the 5C version where appropriate. It's unlikely that any engineer we arrange will have an older style socket they'd be able to fit for you.

While I appreciate the frustration, we won't be in a position to arrange another engineer unless your speeds are below expectations, our tests are showing a fault or there are other issues affecting the performance of your connection.

At this stage I'd like to refer back to my post last night, are you experiencing any actual performance problems?

While I understand you're wanting to contact the CEO's office, any email or letter addressed to our CEO will find its way to my department (Customer Advocates) and the answer would likely be the same as we're providing you I'm afraid. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

An alternative hypothesis is that something was changed and the result is that your line is now worse than it was, but there's nothing in particular wrong with anything that would be considered a fault, and therefore there is nothing for anyone to fix. I'm sorry but nobody should be demanding that their line gets improved to whatever they think its speed should be. It does not really matter what speed you used to get for however long before. Nobody was the right to demand they get the top end of their estimated speeds.

It is possible for a single crosstalker coming online to knock several Mb off another line's speed but that's beside the point. Maybe Openreach re-did a lot of wiring in the cabinet, and there's nothing wrong with any of the re-done wiring, but it just happens that as a result your line now suffers more from crosstalk so the speed is lower, but it's still within the range of whatever is deemed acceptable for your line and therefore there's nothing for anyone to fix.

snadge
Aspiring Pro

@ ejs - I'm not saying want the max speed quoted for the line to be at the top advertised speed - it was near what got !  from day one in December I got 79(INP off) or 74 (INP on) and would be months between the two- now all of a sudden on june 24th dead on at midnight the line went down andexactly 4 hours later came bck up 10Mb slower with 35% raised power-levels indicating more energy needing to be used to get a speed 10Mnb slower

now for my concerns of the NTE55C - it has dropped connections at least twice/thrice since the engineer was here on Tueday, this is NOT THE NORM for sure,,, one time disabling INP OFF (70mB) THE OTHER PUTTING IT BACK ON (65mB) (next day) - so this points to a problematic NTE5C as many others have said.

heres a CURRENT screenshot of errors over time, normally with INP on they would be almost ZERO,,,as you can see there now over 30 at times which is the suspect threshold (between OR Engineers) to turning iNP back on

dslstats_2019-10-20_17-27-29.jpg

note: INP and Interleaving are both on

and here are DIRECT STATS which show the stats when INP is on

03 Oct 2019
CRC errors per hour: 0.62 Down, 0.08 Up
FEC errors per hour: 10411 Down, 5.32 Up
HEC errors per hour: 12.8 Down, 0 Up
ES per hour: 0.15 Down, 0.08 Up
SES per hour: 0 Down, 0 Up
Total ES in the day: 4 Down, 3 Up

02 Oct 2019
CRC errors per hour: 0.45 Down, 0.22 Up
FEC errors per hour: 9682 Down, 4.24 Up
HEC errors per hour: 0 Down, 0 Up
ES per hour: 0.22 Down, 0.22 Up
SES per hour: 0 Down, 0 Up
Total ES in the day: 3 Down, 1 Up

so so son=methin is not right br it NTE5C or connection, i will be ordering an older PRESSAC SSFP tongith and see how it changes, if it dos then i thibk I should reeentitled to costs for the NTE5

ejs
Aspiring Hero

But you don't have any particular right to demand that your line gets restored to whatever level of performance it once had in the past. If, for whatever reason, it has become worse, but not bad enough for it to be deemed faulty, then there's not a lot anyone can do about it. The fact that this or that has been done to it which made it worse doesn't really matter if it's still not bad enough to be classed as faulty.

snadge
Aspiring Pro

its done it again....jumping between INP ON and OFF very quickly because of the 5C faceplate (days rather than months/weather)

@ejs i think i have every right to demand this to be outright as its OBVIOUSLY something an engineer has done at the CAB that basic Linesmen cant find because they aren't qualified to find such faults, I have ordered at NTE 5A of eBay and see what happens, I bet it remains with INP OFF for much longer...its been off three times i know off since the engineer visit.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

You don't appear to have understood the concept I was attempting to convey.

Openreach can do what they like with their network when they like. If they have done something that made the performance of your line worse, but it's still within the estimates and not bad enough to be classed as faulty, then it doesn't matter that they did something and they made it worse.

Also, if you wanted to downgrade to 40/10, surely there can't be anything that you can't do with your current 60Mb that you would be able to do with 70Mb.

snadge
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf - my connection has now dropped to 59Mb since the NTE5C was installed proving my point that they are BAD units that cause issues for many and have for me in the past

I would like an engineer to come out please and put an older one, i have ordered one he can install if he refuses to have any. i want my connection restored as its now below MGALS (61Mb)

I believe it to be upstream errors introduced by the metal plating design of the internals on the NTE5C....its noted online in various forums that people have had many issues with this unit including myself before.

ive gone from a 74-79Mb connection for a solid 9 months to 64-69 to 65 to 59 in space of a few months... something is not right,,

the SNR on the upstream is now 6db instead of 9db also the upstream interleaving has been applied and is the cause of the loss...all since the NTE5C was installed
Power levels are 4.1 and used to be 3.3, thus meaning more power needed to get just 59Mb>>???

xdslctl info --stats
xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 22240 Kbps, Downstream rate = 78467 Kbps <- inflated by roughly 7Mb through Interleaving...so my line should do about 70-71Mb according to the stats

Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 59974 Kbps

Stats recorded 07 Nov 2019 13:08:13

DSLAM type / SW version:    IFTN:0xb206 (178.6) / v0xb206
Modem/router firmware:      AnnexA version - A2pv6F039v.d26a
DSL mode:                   VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                      0 hour 13 min 2 sec
Resyncs:                    1 (since 07 Nov 2019 12:08:10)

Downstream    Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):      14.3        0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):    Not available on VDSL2        
Connection speed (kbps):    59974        20000
SNR margin (dB):            6.3        6.0
Power (dBm):                4.1        4.1
Interleave depth:           1471        298 (never been applied before)
INP:                        4.00        2.50 (these have never been above 1)
G.INP:                      Not enabled        Not enabled
Vectoring status:           5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)        

RSCorr/RS (%):              0.0018        0.0025
RSUnCorr/RS (%):            0.0000        0.0000
ES/hour:                    8.00        8.00

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @snadge I'm sorry to see your speeds have dropped.

Could you respond Here with your availability for an engineer to visit starting from next week and post back once you've done so? We'll then book the appointment in and email an escalation proforma to our suppliers.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
snadge
Aspiring Pro

thanks for the swift response @Gandalf .

I have replied with 3 days and slots, thanks

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @snadge,

I've booked that in and update your ongoing complaint ticket here.

Thanks.

snadge
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf   now down to 55Mb... and raised INP levels even further.... the metal plate design inside the NTE5C acts as an 'ariel' that sups interference from within your hom into the signal I think... dropped twice since it was installed,,,  from 79Mb to 55Mb...I mean come on! I know its not Plusnets fault but it doesnt make Plusnet look very good when BT dont know what they are doing...sending noobs to jobs with iffy equipment!

get me a special faults engineer please

Downstream    Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):      14.3        0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):    Not available on VDSL2        
Connection speed (kbps):    54699        19000 (even upload has dropped too)
SNR margin (dB):            6.9        6.5
Power (dBm):                4.0        3.9
Interleave depth:           1553        297  (all increased)
INP:                        5.00        2.50  (all increased)