Did you mean: 

Lost 10Mb 7 days ago - GEA please

FIXED
snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Lost 10Mb 7 days ago - GEA please

Hi

My broadband was slow today so I checked the stats and it seems 7 days ago my line was reset and has dropped from circa 75Mb to 64Mb.

error rates are very high which could indicate a fault, nothing has changed or is new at this end - single man in a flat

can someone look into this and show me the GEA please?

thanks

59 REPLIES 59
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Lost 10Mb 7 days ago - GEA please

Hi @snadge,

I'm sorry to hear that your speed has dropped. I've tested your line and can see that it's currently syncing at 64mbps. However, the test hasn't picked up any problems from here.

Your line is currently syncing at 64.5mbps. This is slightly below the line's estimate of 65.2-80mbps, so is certainly something that we can look into:

Please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
snadge
Aspiring Pro

Ive done all the troubleshooting, nothing and nothing has changed here

Check my history on GEA, can you also post it please, when I first upgraded in December the Max Attainable Rate was 88Mb (said so in my router as I have an unlocked BCM chipset that allows me to use DSLstats to pull the advanced stats from it), It would sync between 74-79Mb...then on Monday I noticed it wasnt running as fast so i checked and it says 10 days ago the modem did a re-sync (from around 74Mb down to 64Mb)  with a max attainable of 76Mb

so to put it into perspective:

10 days ago - 74Mb+ (with a max attain of 88Mb)
now: 64Mb (with a max attain of 76Mb)

so 10Mb has disappeared overnight

xdslctl info --stats
Max: Upstream rate = 25272 Kbps, Downstream rate = 76957 Kbps <- this used to be 88Mb (max rate)
Bearer: Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 64527 Kbps <- this used to be 74-79Mb (actual rate)

Line Attenuation is still 14db so the Line Quality/length is still the same

ive also noticed that error protection (INP + Interleaving) has been turned back on by DLM which is part of the reason for the reduced rate from 79Mb (but not all of it) and indicates there has been a fault or lot of noise on the line..but even with it turned on I used to get 72-73Mb...OFF would get me 79Mb, thats down to DLM... but dropping all the way from 72Mb to 64Mb indicates a problem

here is some data I pulled from the last time I ran DSLstats on 4/6/19

<Sample Number="0">
<Time>04/06/2019 21:38:33</Time>
<Downstream>78650</Downstream>
<Upstream>20000</Upstream>

as you can see from those stats iam over 10Mb down

can someone please look into this?

thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Thanks for getting back to us @snadge 

As our testing isn't showing the cause for the drop in speed we'd need a fault reporting to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can pass this onto our suppliers and arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

I've attached a copy of our testing below:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 64.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 358.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From01:45to04:30
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 2
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-07-25T15:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 64.5 Mbps 77.2 Mbps 66.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 865.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-08-07T15:04:20.255+01:00 2019-08-07T15:19:20.255+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
snadge
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf

thanks for the reply

it does say in the GEA that noise has been monitored on the line:

Regular Interference Observed on Week Days - 1:45am - 4:00am
- these are the hours when engineers work in the exchanges etc... its very likely (in my opinion) that a noob LL1 engineer has been in the cabinet and has shifted my pair or done something to cause this.

my setup is the router connected to a dongle filter which is connected to the test-socket (even though I dont have any extensions I still use it), I connect to the dongle using Twisted Pair cable with a length of 3m, it does not run beside or cross any power cables, the telephone wiring follows the door frame and skirting through the passage and out the window and along a drop wire to the DP a top the pole.

I will fill out that fault form

thanks

snadge
Aspiring Pro

(continued from above)

....OK ive filled out that fault form

thanks for the assistance Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @snadge thanks for getting back to us and reporting the fault.

It's difficult to say what's causing the interference but as line tests are passing, we'd need to arrange an engineer to investigate your speeds further.

I've noticed though that the last router we sent you is 2 to 3 years ago, so it'd be a good idea to send you a replacement before we arrange the engineer as there'd be a call out charge if the router is found to be faulty because it's out of warranty. 

That's assuming you're using a Plusnet router and not your own third party one, if you'd like us to send you a replacement please let us know and we can organise this for you free of charge.

Alternatively or if you're still experiencing speed problems having tried a different router, could you add a reply to your fault ticket Here with your availability for an engineer to visit?

Feel free to nudge us over here once you've added a reply and we'll get it picked up a little quicker.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
snadge
Aspiring Pro

thanks for the swift reply Gandalf

I have added some more info on the ticket.

I just noticed that the Line Attenuation actually HAS increased, it was 14.1db and is now 14.4db, a small increase but reflects everything ive just said in the ticket, all the evidence points to an engineer performing a Lift & Shift on my pair on the date your Radius report shows my router as down from midnight to 4am... read my reply below, I could be wrong but it looks that way.

I use my own router which has an unlocked BCM chipset so I can grab advanced stats for these exact reasons, it is only 7 months old. I get slightly lower sync with the Plusnet Hub One, if you look at the screenshots you posted above, the hours on Sunday 28/7/19 it was down from midnight to 4am (this was when it started)- this was not me and is the hours when BT engineers do work, it also reports that some noise has been monitored at some point on the line during these hours (1:45am-4am), im just putting two and two together and its my opinion that an engineer has been in the PCP cabinet and possibly done something with my pair on this date? 

this is just speculation, but experience tells me its very likely as according to your Radius sample above it was down between midnight and 4am and came back on at the lower speed of 64Mb. I think an engineer has performed a "Lift & Shift" on my pair .. for whatever reason, that said Line Attenuation was 14.1db before and is now 14.4db - this is just a small increase and reflects what Ive just said, this number gets bigger the longer your line is (or worse quality) - so the fact it was down for 4 hours in the middle of the night, comes back on 10Mb slower and with a Line Attenuation increase of 0.3db tells me that an engineer was in the cabinet making changes at that time and date.

I understand that as more people sign up to fibre in the area, the more impact there is between customers in the same cable, but this is usually a very gradual and slow decrease in Max Attainable speed until it actually affects your Actual speed. I know this isnt the case here as its just jumped from 76 to 64 in a matter of hours, also Ive been monitoring the "Max Attainable Rate" for this and its been staying put before this, this indicates that the fibre take up is mostly saturated in this area.

between 1pm and 6pm would be best for me 

thanks

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @snadge

Thanks for providing your availability - I can see that you've specified a timeslot, but not a preferred date for the engineer.

Is the timeslot you've supplied convenient for any day that we pick? (obviously we'd pick the earliest date possible)

Best wishes

Dave

snadge
Aspiring Pro

yeah any day is fine for now, I see its been arranged for Monday so thats great thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @snadge,

I'm glad to hear that it's been arranged. If anything needs to be amended then please let us know as soon as possible and we'll pick this back up for review.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
snadge
Aspiring Pro

The engineer has been and an external fault was found but the repair didnt fix my speed issues.

There was no dial-tone, so he went to check the cabinet and found a problem there and repaired it, thus I have a dial tone now. the speed (Line Characteristics) are still the same, Line Attenuation is still raised and speed loss of 10Mb, he has reset DLM which has turned Fastpath on which has raised it too 69Mb. 

So... im still 10Mb down as Fastpath ON (error correction off) would normally get me 79Mb -  Fastpath OFF (error correction on) would normally get me 74Mb - now ON gets me 69Mb and OFF is 64Mb = 10Mb less. The engineer got even slower speeds on his JDSU (59Mb)

Im almost certain that the loss of speed is due to my pair being switched to another somewhere in the run, going off at midnight to come back on at 4am with a raised Line Attenuation also indicates work being done, the engineer reported some Aluminium in my run from the cabinet, from all the information at hand experience tells me an engineer has likely performed a "Lift & Shift" and for whatever reason moved my pair onto another run, obviously i can't prove this but the increase in Line Attenuation, drop in speed,12am-4am down-time and no-dial-tone afterwards strongly indicates this.

The engineer said he couldn't do anything more to help as they dont guarantee speed, only stability... and that's fine, im happy enough with the speed I have, but I would like Plusnet staff to note this on my account so that if anything happens in the future staff can see that there was a 10Mb speed loss overnight previously which wasn't put right.

thanks for the help.

snadge
Aspiring Pro

.....just to add to all the information in my post above: its very likely that in the coming days DLM will turn Fastpath OFF (error correction ON) because errors are high, I never used to get high errors on Fastpath as it was fine for 8 months, this further indicates that previously my line was on a different pair before 28th July - if the speed dips below any further then I would like to roll back to 40Mb - my minimum guaranteed speed is 65Mb, if it drops below that am I entitled to roll back to 40Mb?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi @snadge 

I'm sorry to see the engineer couldn't increase your speeds past 69mbps. I actually kind of don't really agree that speeds aren't guaranteed because we definitely do guarantee speeds and if this drops below expectations (either the minimum guaranteed speed or your line estimates) then we can investigate further including raising an escalation if needed.

As your speeds are now above the guaranteed speed and within the estimates it's likely we'd be able to investigate further though so I'd keep an eye on things and let us know if your speeds keep dropping.

I can see you've noted that onto the ticket so it's logged that way and also from looking at the speed history we can see that your speeds have previously been around 76.4mbps earlier in the year.

If your speeds drop below your minimum guaranteed or speed estimates we'd be happy to arrange another engineer or look at downgrading you back to the 40/10 product.

Hope this helps.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
snadge
Aspiring Pro

my speed has now dropped to 64Mb (error correction has come back on) and Iam not happy.. I had 79Mb with error protection off and 74Mb with it on... now my router has to use 33% more power (power levels raised from 3.3 to 4.5 after fault) to get me a speed 10Mb slower and the engineer last time confirmed Iam now on aluminium so someone has done a "lift & shift" and put me onto another pair on 28th July, thats when it went down for four hours, midnight dot on to 4am dot on and came back up 10Mb slower, slight raise in line attenuation and largely increased power levels ..all this indicates worsening of line quality...that combined with the fact iam now on aluminium leads anyone with common sense and knowledge of how it works that its very likely an engineer has lift&shifted me onto an Aluminium pair...probably to make way for a favourable customer

any staff new to this thread/concern please read the whole thread

I want an engineer to resolve this proper - the previous engineer only fixed the no dial-tone issue, he did not resolve the speed issues, read previous posts, he said "we dont guarantee speed" and your staff dont agree with that, he managed to turn off error protection which bumped it from 64 to 69....now error protection is back on and its back down to 64Mb (59Mb with Plusnet Hub One in)... my MGALS was also 65Mb and that has been changed after the engineer visit to 61Mb which I think is a complete rip off and illegal in the eyes of OFCOM as its moving the goal-posts, you could drivel my line down to nothing and make me pay full whack keep doing that! - regardless of that at the moment I want the speed issue fixed OR I want to be put back onto 40Mb

so can you please issue an engineer to fix this speed issue...and send a QUALIFIED engineer who wont say things like "we dont guarantee speed - only stability" like the last one, an engineer who can actually fix the issue