Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of internet

FIXED
FuzzyDuck
Fixes: 1

Loss of internet

Around 20:20 on 7/6 the Plusnet Hub suddendly lost Internet connection. Checking hub showed that the DSL line was connected and syncing at 78Mbps. However the hub seemed unable to authenticate. Tried a full reset and rentering username and password but no change. Raised a ticket early this morning but so far no resolution. 

Just to check if the problem was due to router fault, I configured my old BT Hub 5 with the Plusnet username and password and found that this hub is able to connect and authenticate (blue light), router gets assigned an IP address, Internet gateway IP address and DNS IP addresses but cannot browse as it seems DNS is not working. I can ping the Internet gateway IP address but doing a trace route to the DNS IP address seems to work for a couple of hops then gets nothing back.

Switching back to the Plusnet hub returns to the PPP Connecting state. Can't work out why the two routers react differently even though they are configured the same.

Last message from support indicated this was a problem being experienced by others in my area (Tadley exchange) and they were working with their supplier (Openreach?).

1 REPLY
FuzzyDuck
Fixes: 1

Re: Loss of internet

Fix

Looks like the problem was resolved, noticed the Plusnet hub light was now blue, however I couldn't connect via Wi-Fi. Swapped in the BT hub and everything worked normally.  Checking the Plusnet hub I found I had DHCP disabled, enabled it and now the Plusnet hub worked as expected.

So I'm guessing there was problem fixed by Openreach or Plusnet.