Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of internet

FIXED
GerryAttrick
Dabbler

Loss of internet

I've been experiencing sudden loss of internet connection for a while now. Hub goes orange and connection drops. Can last for 5-10 minutes then reconnects. Connection stays up for about 5 hours then suddenly drops again. The problem started about November when PN increased the upload speed to 9.5Mbs, and has gradually got worse since. Now it happens nearly every day. 

Can anybody help?

8 REPLIES 8
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Loss of internet

Welcome to the Forum @GerryAttrick

This shouldn't be happening - but you knew that! I would run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and then report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

It takes a bit of your time but formally makes Plusnet aware of your problem, they have look at it, and gets the problem into the queue for action.

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Sounds a bit like my recent experience with the HubOne described in this thread. My conclusion has been that the router is fine but there's is something decidedly iffy about the integrated modem. I went from dropping connections every few hours to now where it has been up just over 6 days.

GerryAttrick
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies.

I will follow your advice @BrightonRock and see what happens. I have read a lot of posts regarding this issue, but there doesn't seem to be an easy fix.

I will point out that I had a new master socket put in two years ago by Open Reach, and I only have one phone connected, so internal wiring is not the problem.

BrightonRock
Pro

Glad to help.

It may or may not be a line fault but you will need to eliminate that possibility before moving on.

Please let us know how you get on.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I can see the connection drops on our logs, all apart from the past 48 hours where you've had a solid connection. 

I'll check in with you tomorrow to see if things are still stable then and if not I'll get the fault reported for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Fix

Hi there, 

I'm glad to say that the connection logs are still showing an ongoing connection. 

Let me know if you encounter any further problems though. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
GerryAttrick
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your replies.

Isn't it just typical, that after weeks of frustration and finally deciding to report the issue, it seems to go away. I will mark the issue as fixed and if it recurs will open a new fault.

Many thanks to all that replied.

BrightonRock
Pro

Don't be down-hearted! It doesn't matter what was the solution if the problem has gone away!

If it was magic that solved the problem take it!

That said, it is also just possible that the testing and reporting a fault (I think that you said you had done that) triggered action by BT that cleared the fault.