cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of internet after BT engineer visit

sbrad54201
Dabbler

Loss of internet after BT engineer visit

I logged a ticket with support as my download speeds dropped from about 55MB to 17MB and upload from 18MB to less than 1MB.

Support said they could see an issue on the line and issued out a BT engineer. He has been to the cabinet and swapped my fibre ports over ran some

and tests and says the line is ok and the router needs replacing.

I relayed this to support and obviously they want me to buy a new router as I'm out of contract but he wasn't quite sure if that would fix the issue. 

I said what would happen if I bought a new router and it still didnt work and it was an issue with the line, would I get reimbursed for the cost and he said no.

So I am now stuck with no internet at all and having to purchase a new router to hopefully "fix" it.

10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Loss of internet after BT engineer visit

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests are showing a potential issue with either the modem or the way you have it setup.

With regards to obtaining a new router we can provide you with one but you'd need to take a new contract out and pay postage and packaging

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Or you could always either borrow a router - BT ones work HH5 or HH6 - of get one cheaply on eBay or your preferred auction site for less than £20

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

It sounds like a you had a worse than useless BT engineer, did he check that you had service with his own test equipment then said he wasn't sure if a new router would solve the problem, that's not acceptable. As for PlusNet's offer of a new router if you take out a new contract, that is an offer I would refuse. You had a working service, but at a low speed now the BT engineer has not fixed it and they expect you to agree to an new contract  to get a new router? I would get a cheap router on a well known auction site ( The BT home hubs 5 and 6 will work with PlusNet ). I find @MatthewWheeler response to your problem very disappointing, I would have thought PlusNet could do better than that.

sbrad54201
Dabbler

The BT engineer turned up whilst I was at work and tested up to my property and said that the line tested ok. 

I've tried 2 different routers (technicolour and asus) with the same results so I assume they mean the openreach modem is faulty.

I have ordered an all in one from Amazon so should get it tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. If that still doesn't work then I shall definitely let support know about it.

But yes, I thought the Plusnet support/customer service would have been better to maybe retain my services as I'm out of contract.

sbrad54201
Dabbler

Well I've got home and my "faulty" existing hardware has almost fixed itself. I'm getting about 22MB Download now (Previously about 55MB) and the upload is about 16MB which is normal. Still waiting for my new router but don't really want to open it up as I'm still not sure its the hardware at fault.

Current lne speed say 25MB as per attachment. Is there a way I can resync/reset profile to get my original speeds?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Line tests are showing your profile set at the maximum:

"Profile Name: 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

However, we are also detecting a potential external fault again "Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report" so I've got this reported back through to our suppliers for further investigation which should be within the next couple of days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sbrad54201
Dabbler

OK, So do I need to do anything, or just wait?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Essentially we just need to wait for an engineer to pick the job up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sbrad54201
Dabbler

My internet is back up to normal speeds now. 

Thanks to the useless BT engineer and Plusnet "support" telling me my hardware is at fault.

Still using my old hardware and have kept the new router from Amazon unopened, as I knew it was something wrong with the line. Luckily Amazon have decent customer service and I can send it back to them....

Thanks

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @sbrad54201 ,

We are really sorry to hear of your experience. I have checked the engineer notes from the visit and he indicated that he was unable to find a fault at the time. He did not indicate specifically it was the hardware which I am sincerely sorry you were advised that. We would ask that you monitor your connection closing and let us know if the issue reoccurs.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team