cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Speed Inability to download files & Gaming issues.

scottca
Dabbler

Loss of Speed Inability to download files & Gaming issues.

from the start of last week ive been having issues with my Fibre. Speed has dropped from a steady 46 meg to a woeful 10 - 12.
Quality of service is atrocious.
- Streaming from YouTube and Netflix is buffering
- Xbox gaming keeps dropping session
- Xbox Gaming is unable to download any content
- File downloads are incredibly slow and files are corrupting.
I have several devices connected on a mix of Wifi N and Cat6. The issue follows each device regardless of connection media.
I have raised a call on Friday (#110747899) but so far have had zero update. I called the support desk on Saturday to be told there was nothing they could do as the escalation team don't work weekends.
I have the full fat up to 76 meg Fibre.
Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Loss of Speed Inability to download files & Gaming issues.

Hi scottca,
Diagnostics don't show me any obvious causes for this.
Our faults guys will be picking this up and getting back to you soon.
Cheers for making sure you'd ruled a few things out including WiFi too?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
scottca
Dabbler

Adam - thanks for the reply.
There is an issue with my local exchange affecting all ISP's currently.
Mon 14/09/2015 at 00:37
BT Broadband problem in Tranent, Prestonpans and Musselburgh areas
Dialling codes affected: 01875,01876
Dialling codes affected: 01875,01876
Impacting service since 11/09/2015 14:31
We're really sorry but we've got a problem at the moment in the Tranent, Prestonpans and Musselburgh areas, which means that some of our customers will be having trouble getting online. We're trying to fix the problem as quickly as we can.
Please revisit this page for further updates.

Ongoing
dick:quote
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

It looks like there's widespread issues at your exchange affecting multiple providers.
As soon as we have a update we'll let you know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Looks like it's made 'the news' over at thinkbroadband: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7160-corrupt-downloads-and-bad-streaming-affects-east-lothian.htm...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Hanxbear
Grafter

I too am in this area - problems with internet disconnections, streaming video, downloading files from internet...............
How do you get through the maze of misinformation to get to valid updates?  Have I been blaming PN unnecessarily..................?  If so, I will apologise unreservedly.
What's the best way to keep updated in a case like this?
scottca
Dabbler

Seems fixed - Ive kicked off my large download that was failing

Transcript of BT fault report.
Received Issue Update
15/09/2015 13:37 FINAL Service fully restored at 11:32. Following the replacement of theOpenreach Network facing card, services restored for a short time, before the Openreach switch crashed. Remote and on site actions were able to bring the switch back up, and the new Network facing card was replaced with the original card at 11:30, ensuring full customer connectivity. Monitoring and testing have taken place for 90 minutes, by operations, Technical services, Openreach and vendors. All are in agreement that full service is restored, and working as expected. Customers have also confirmed that full service has restored. Enhanced monitoring of the service will be undertaken by operations, and of the switch by Openreach. As a precautionary measure, further hardware will be ordered to site by openreach, should there by any subsequent problems identified. BT regrets any inconvenience this may have caused.
15/09/2015 11:57 12 Openreach have replaced the Network facing card on the layer 2 switch in Tranent which was seen to initially increase traffic levels significantly across all ports, indicating that the issue had resolved. Shortly afterwards, the layer 2 switch was seen to crash, resulting in a loss of service to all customers. Following a number of switch card reseats, and a card replacement, all service was restored at 11:30. Monitoring is under way to ensure that all errors are now clear. Next update will be issued upon service restoration unless there should be a significant development.
15/09/2015 09:50 11 The technical bridge has reconvened with all relevant parties, including Operations, Technical Services, Openreach and vendor all represented. An engineer is on site, standing by to assist where required. The controller card at the Openreach Head end has been switched, but initial indications are that the issues seen are persisting. Next update will be issued upon service restoration unless there should be a significant development.
15/09/2015 04:01 10 The CPM card changed to no avail. A reload was completed on this network element at 02:00 and the tech files of before and after have been passed to the Vendor. They have identified no issues with the network element. Checks have also been performed on the transmission paths to Falkirk and Edinburgh and no issues have been identified. Traffic levels have died down so investigations are being hampered. The technical call will reconvene at 09:00 to investigate further. Root cause and estimated restoration time unknown at present. Next update will be issued upon service restoration unless there should be a significant development.
14/09/2015 22:55 9 Traffic has been switched between the two CPM cards and tech log files have been taken to assist in investigation. The core network has been discounted from investigations. We are now in process of changing the CPM card in the A slot and eliminating the hardware. Vendor is also engaging their 3rd line to assist with investigation. Root cause and estimated restoration time unknown at present. Next update will be issued upon service restoration unless there should be a significant development.
14/09/2015 21:40 8 The bridge reconvened at 21:00 with all parties attending now including IPTV. Interrogations are taking place with the 7750 cards at Tranent, the TSO engineer is onsite and has located the spare card. The TSO engineer is co-oping with Technical Services and is currently removing Central Processing Module (CPM). Investigations are continuing. Next update will be issued upon service restoration unless there should be a significant development.
14/09/2015 19:52 7 This is running as a Parent case P1 incident IMT43198/15. Headline changed from Glasgow to Tranent. Spares (both of the same type and may not be required) are now on route with ETA?s of 21:15 & 23:15 to Tranent. A TSO engineer has also been task to site with an ETA 20:50 to co-op with the ADSL operations team and receive the spare. The bridge will reconvene at 21:00 with all parties lined up attend. Next update will be issued upon service restoration unless there should be a significant development.
14/09/2015 18:02 6 This is running as a Parent case P1 incident IMT43198/15. The TSO engineer at Falkirk has cleaned fibres and re-seated cards after which the traffic was routed back to the original route. Traffic can be seen flowing but the customer is still seeing issues, 3rd line support are still monitoring the quality of the service as the customer can download files but the data is showing as corrupt. As a parallel action the operations team are ordering spare cards for the end of the routes (Edinburgh and Tranent) TSO engineers will be tasked once ordered. The vendor is now on the bridge providing support. Next update will be issued upon service restoration unless there should be a significant development.
14/09/2015 15:35 5 This is running as a Parent case P1 incident IMT43198/15. Having identified a number of port errors, the Technical Service team have costed out a link from a Falkirk access router into the 21c Core. Operations still are working to establish whether this has had any positive impact on affected customers. As a paralell action, a TSO engineer is being tasked to Falkirk as a precaution with a ETA 15:40. Next update will be issued upon service restoration or sooner should there be a change in impact.
14/09/2015 14:10 4 Having identified a number of port errors, the Technical Service team have costed out a link from a Falkirk access router into the 21c Core. Operations are working to establish whether this has had any positive impact on affected customers. As a paralell action, a TSO engineer is being tasked to Falkirk as a precaution. Next update will be issued upon service restoration or sooner should there be a change in impact.
14/09/2015 13:40 3 Investigations are ongoing to localise the fault. Technical Support are working with the operations teams, continuing with their investigations.
14/09/2015 12:09 2 Customer impact: Degraded internet services to {1632} Broadband Customers Current Situation: Completing initial diagnostics. Root cause and estimated time of repair are not known at present. Next update will be issued upon service restoration unless there should be a significant development.
14/09/2015 12:07 1 Initial diagnostics taking place
hbb98
Dabbler

I'm nearby, and wouldn't have expected to be much affected, but experienced quite a bit of "collateral". 
I learned of the problem from Thinkbroadband and ISPreview, but got the details from a Zen site where I guess scottca got the details.
Strangely enough, nothing appears on http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php, where Plusnet might report such things.  One wonders: why not?  Why do I have to learn of these
things anywhere but Plusnet?  Commercially sensitive no doubt. Roll_eyes
Finally, I had a truely wonderful TBB speedtest result that I shall treasure: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=144232421507941651786