Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing conection over past couple off weeks

Griff7520
Grafter

Loosing conection over past couple off weeks

Hi

My router has been loosing connection a few times and doing a speed check today I see my download speed has dropped from a very reliable 68 down load to 66 which I asume is because the line is detecting the instability and adjusted the speed, my up load speed how ever has dropped from  a reliable 18mb to 6mb up. Can you lovely lads and lasses please have a look at my line to see if its my end or your end. I also noticed usually when doing a speed test the speed checker goes to nearest ping point which for me is usually Telford but today it seems to be connecting to london based servers....are you redirecting my line for some reason

thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Griff7520
Grafter

Re: Loosing conection over past couple off weeks

now down to 63mb in less than half an hour, tried to post a link but your website is blocking me....

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav):Original post released from Spam Filter then removed as duplicated.

Griff7520
Grafter

Untitled

Untitled

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Links fixed.

Griff7520
Grafter

just to let you know I did a reset of my modem and router  about the time of my last post and left the pc off for 5 hours, download has risen to 67 mb now but upload is still poor ar 6mb.

thanks

Griff7520
Grafter

well just done a speed check and now my upload is back up to normal at 18mb. Would be interesting to know if you can see what the cause was so hope you still  do a line test.

blackcat71
Hooked

I know how you feel, for the past few weeks my fiber has been terrible disconnects during online gaming which is really starting to pee me off and random times through the day in my iMac, tablets and phone.

My contract is up with Plusnet next month, so I may be looking elsewhere, I've been with them for years, but reliability is a must!

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Griff7520,

I can see that my colleague, @EmilyD, has responded to a post you made in another thread about a similar topic. It's good to hear that your speeds are back to normal on your end of things, though it'd hard to say what really could have caused the speed to drop, especially after the fact, but one thing I'd recommend doing is keeping an eye out for any kind of pattern that you may be able to notice behind the speed drops should they continue to drop. Hopefully though, that shouldn't be the case and it'll be smooth sailing from here. Smiley

Hi @blackcat71,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these problems with our services. I've taken a look at your connection today and I can see that it appears to have been stable for some time, so I'd like to ask if you've noticed the connection drops solely over Wi-Fi connected devices or if the problem occurs to devices connecting via Ethernet cable as well?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Griff7520
Grafter

well not had a drop all day today so hopefully it was just the weather !

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Griff7520, the connection is looking a lot more stable today however, if the issue returns I would advise completing the troubleshooting steps that @EmilyD provided.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Griff7520
Grafter

seeing as no one has answred the question in the other post I will ask it here,

Hi Emily

my computer is upstairs and my router is connected to a openreach modem which is also upstairs, how would i connect to the master socket which is down stairs in the living room, would i connect the modem or the router to the master socket, and would I have to try and run an extension cable up the stairs to do it, sorry if that is confusing but am not sure which way I could do it with out adding more cables into the pot.

I have all ready done all the checks as advised except trying the master socket hence the question above

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Griff7520, I'm sorry the question on your other post was missed.

With regards to the set up, you would need your modem connected into the master socket (with the router attached to the modem).

If you are using an Ethernet cable to connect your devices upstairs (and the master socket is downstairs) then yeah it sounds like you would need an extended Ethernet cable to do this, another alternative to save on cables being everywhere would be a powerline adaptor... but at the moment, this is more of a temporary measure just to see if connecting to the master socket resolves the issue.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Griff7520
Grafter

my connection has been great now all week, and finally my ip profile is set at a good speed.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 68.96 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-73.7 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 73.7 Mbps

I am actually getting 71meg download at the moment on ookla and my broadband speed tests.

maybe the loss off connection was work being done on my local chirk exchange because now my speed has gone up and is very stable. Anyway, pleased with my speeds now.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Griff7520

Glad to hear the speeds and stability is back to your expectation. keep an eye on things and let us know if you have any further problems.