cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loop fault - ndt. How long to fix (aprox)?

FIXED
javixeneize
Dabbler

Loop fault - ndt. How long to fix (aprox)?

Hi

On Friday my line stop working at around 3am. They ran a diagnosis and it came with ndt (no dial tone) - loop. So, there is a problem between the exchange and my premises I think. I disconnected everything at home and I still had the same error so it’s 99% confirmed the issue is not on my premises

The engineer is coming on Tuesday. Is it likely it will be solved on the same day?

I need internet to work and it will be a problem for me if I don’t have it fixed on Tuesday

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Loop fault - ndt. How long to fix (aprox)?

It would depend on where the fault is, or if it needs a complex solution such as underground civils work.

Out of interest, had you tried to connect to the test point of your master socket?

javixeneize
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick answer. No, I have no idea about how to do it. How can I do it?

Nobody else in the street has an issue so seems to be something affecting just me. Maybe a rat has chewed a wire or something?
notmyname
Rising Star

Fix

Well, your telephone line effectively has two cables all the way from the exchange to yourself.  A loop fault is when these two cables are in contact with each other.  The most common causes (in my experience) for loop faults is a faulty NTE (master socket) or an extension running off the back of it.

Could you take a picture of your socket and upload it here? 

javixeneize
Dabbler

It’s a mk2 socket. I have already pictures of it - https://ibb.co/41QQL4H
notmyname
Rising Star

Does your phone and or broadband work when connected to the port on the back of the socket?

i've circled in the picture

javixeneize
Dabbler

I have no phone at home, but the alarm is connected to the phone line. I triggered it and it didn’t call me

Regarding to the port of the back, do you mean to use a micro filter and connect the dsl line to the micro filter to that socket? I didn’t try that, but if it doesn’t work it might be the micro filter is faulty either
notmyname
Rising Star

Yes, plugging into that socket with a microfilter would rule of the front plate or extension causing issue, but as you correctly point out, would not rule out a fault with the filter.

However, it looks like you may have a prefiltered faceplate?

javixeneize
Dabbler

Yep, the mk2 has a filter included, I thought it might be the problem..

I have tested this with 2 different micro filters I have at home (they should work but haven’t used those for years) and dsl light is still blinking until it goes off

Does it help to find where the problem might be?

Thanks for the support Wink
javixeneize
Dabbler

Also I noticed there is a wire that is not connected to anything, you can see it in the picture. I never open the socket box before so it might be unrelated but it took my eye now that I open the box again. Could it be the problem?
notmyname
Rising Star

I can't quite make out, but that looks like a white cable with a green stripe, which would be pair 3 of a cat 5 internal cable.

Typically speaking that wouldn't be connected so should be of no concern

Regarding the location of the fault? It's either a faulty or corroded NTE or further out to line. However this should all be Openreach's remit and should be quite easy to locate with it being a "full loop"

I suppose the only thing you could look for is any corrosion on the back of the NTE, however I can't advise you do this if you don't feel comfortable doing so.
javixeneize
Dabbler

Thanks! Do you reckon the engineer will need to access to my property to check anything? I arrived from Spain on 3rd January so I’m self isolating till 13th. I don’t think he will be allowed to get in.

And finally, although I understand you don’t have enough information, with everything you have in hand, is it something you believe might be solved on the day?

Thanks!
notmyname
Rising Star

I'd imagine with it being a loop fault, plus net will have appointed the visit? Its hard to say how long it will take to fix, as will probably depend on moltiple factors.
javixeneize
Dabbler

Yep, it’s booked for Tuesday, but my concern is that I really need this fixed on Tuesday to be able to work. I hope it can be done
javixeneize
Dabbler

Issue fixed. It was a twisted cable outside the property

Thanks