cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like my line has now been banded

jclau
Grafter

Looks like my line has now been banded

The DLM has been aggressively reducing my sync speeds and now It seems the line has been banded because no matter which socket and ADSL cable I use, the sync speed is always a neat 35(000) Mbps and well below estimate.

I now have the plusnet Hub One connected to the test socket ready for a member of staff to investigate and maybe initiate a DLM reset and/or an engineer's visit.

24 REPLIES 24
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Looks like my line has now been banded

Hi @jclau,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with your services. I've tested your line this afternoon and I've discovered a potential fault with the phone line upon testing in one system, though this doesn't replicate when running a phone line test specifically.

As this is the case, before we go any further, please can you confirm if you've noticed any issues with your phone line from your end of things or if this issue seems to be solely on the broadband side of the service? As you've already plugged the router into the test socket in the property, I imagine you'll have already carried out the rest of the troubleshooting steps, but if not then please also make sure you've run through these to ensure the issue isn't located internally. For reference the broadband troubleshooting steps can be found here and the phone troubleshooting steps can be found here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jclau
Grafter

@TheMightyAJ Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I also had this issue with my previous ISP  and I believe it is to do with the underground telephone cable being zapped along its way to my street past an electric substation behind my house.

I did observe lots of FEC errors when monitoring my line using an HG612 modem but this did not affect browsing the internet and downloading files, even when the DL sync rate was around 50Mb. So I wish the DLM had not intervened but I guess there must have been occasional massive error spikes for it to reduce the speeds.

Unless a small length of the old cable (laid in 1983) that passes the substation is cut and replaced by a better shielded one, I will surely always have this issue. But whilst hoping for the cable to be replaced one day, I would be happy for the time being to have an engineer try improving my line, such as changing the master socket, moving my line to another port etc.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @jclau,

Thanks for getting back in touch to clarify this with us. I've raised a ticket on your account regarding this issue which can be viewed here.

Please let us know once you've had the chance to read the ticket and respond so that we can pick this back up as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jclau
Grafter

Hi @TheMightyAJ 

I confirm I have read the ticket. 

I am available any time Please reserve and advise me of  the next available slot.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Unfortunately we can't book an engineer visit directly from over our Community Forums.

Are you able to reply to the support ticket with the requested information?

Feel free to nudge us over here when you've done so and we'll be happy to pick this up as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jclau
Grafter

I have now responded by pasting my last post above in the "Additional Information" section. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jclau,

Thank you for adding your availability to the ticket. I've booked your engineer visit for the next available slot in your area. Please see the ticket here for details of the appointment date and time.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jclau
Grafter

@EmilyD Noted and thank you.

jclau
Grafter

Yesterday two engineers called and immediately proceeded to change the master socket. They then tested the line and agreed the speed was on the low side. They then spent a couple of hours changing the connectors on all the joints of the cable running all the way from the fibre cabinet to my house. It was a fantastic job but unfortunately there was no great improvement. Although the sync rate went up to 55Mb, the throughput speed was a lot lower at around 38Mb. The UL speed was also worse.

However, they found out that my line was on a low speed circuit (76Mb rather than 80Mb) and there was a lot of REIN (electrical noise) in my street. I think they have reported the matter to the relevant department and another engineer will soon be coming with the necessary equipment to check the area around the houses in my street.

Meanwhile can a member of staff please make a formal request to BT to move my line to a faster circuit? May I also have another GEA test? Thanks.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jclau,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing problems with your connection following the engineer visit. I've tested your line and the test indicates that your line is no longer banded and is syncing at 55.2mbps, which is within the line's estimates of 44 - 61.9mbps. However, there are a high number of performance errors on the line:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1113
Description Downstream ES and SES have exceeded threshold from real time check. Continue submitting trouble report
Main Fault Location CI
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 55.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 601.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-01-29T16:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 55.1 Mbps 55.1 Mbps 55.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.1 Mbps 9.1 Mbps 9.1 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-01-30T12:47:31.808+00:00 2019-01-30T13:02:31.808+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 13
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 797 8
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

We'll need to arrange another engineer visit so that this may be investigated further. Please can you reply to the ticket here with your availability? If you get back in touch on here once you've done this, we'll pick this back up and get your engineer booked for the earliest available suitable appointment.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jclau
Grafter

@EmilyD I have replied to ticket. Thank you.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi jclau, I've just picked this up and have added an update to the account for you: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=186851154

Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jclau
Grafter

Update: An engineer has called today and did some tests but soon left after he confirmed he could not find any faults. When pressed about the slow speed and high number of errors observed, he advised to await the REIN investigation before taking things further.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @jclau, although the engineer notes mention REIN, I've been unable to find a reference for the case where they'll be investigating this further. I've chased this up with our suppliers and they've been unable to find a case reference but have advised they'll escalate this and provide us an update next week (Although please note this may just be a case of advising us a review date for the case once they have located or raised this)

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet