cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like my line has now been banded

jclau
Grafter

Re: Looks like my line has now been banded

@HarryB Thank you for your support. I've been told the REIN engineer will give me a call when he is available. It would have been much better if the booking is made properly via the system though.

However, I am not very comfortable about having a REIN investigation. I think they will inevitably find some kind of noise on my premises, e.g. the consumer unit, and then conclude it's the cause of noise on the line and charge me. So I would really prefer that they forgo the REIN test and try other ways of improving my line, such as lift and shift.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@jclau - thanks for getting back to us. 

I've made your view known on the fault ticket that our faults team can see this as they look to provide updates. 

Kind Regards,

MoR

jclau
Grafter

@MasterOfReality Thanks.  I have also added the following details on the ticket: 

"It is unlikely to be REIN or SHINE as these are transient phenomenons that occur when neighbours use a faulty device or the internet whereas my line suffer from low speeds continuously from the very start the DLM is reset, with speeds dropping gradually over time."

"There must be something wrong when my next door neighbour at no. 32, about 15 metres away, enjoys a much higher download and upload sync speeds. Theirs are 62.63/14.69 whilst mine are 45.12/8.99 as observed by Dslchecker on 2019-01-29 and 2019-02-02 resp."

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

There must be something wrong when my next door neighbour at no. 32, about 15 metres away, enjoys a much higher download and upload sync speeds. Theirs are 62.63/14.69 whilst mine are 45.12/8.99 as observed by Dslchecker on 2019-01-29 and 2019-02-02 resp."

@jclau - i'm afraid that it is not possible to use stats from another premise to diagnose your own issue. Each individual premise has its own line which forms part (if not most) of the estimates. 

There is also the chance that your neighbour is routed to a different cab etc. 

Thanks, 

MoR

jclau
Grafter

@MasterOfReality Actually it makes a very good comparison because all the houses in my street were designed and built by the same builder as part of an estate development in 1982/83. We are all connected to the same telephone cabinets using the same type of cables. So, as my line is only about 15 metres further away from the fibre cabinet, my speeds should not be that slower if my line was connected correctly to the cabinet. I suspect that their ISP (BT) has got their line connected to an 80/20 circuit whilst I am still on the same old circuit I had with Talktalk, initially 38/2 then 76/10 or 76/20. As I bought an 80/20 package, please can you make sure that my line is moved to an 80/20 circuit.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

From what I can see your line is definitely provisioned on 80/20. That order completed on the 06/12/2018.

The banding "0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off" shows this too.

As you're within estimates for both the downstream and upstream it's unlikely an engineer will investigate further I'm afraid.

While your line and your neighbour's line may be connected to the same cabinet, your speeds will differ as it'll depend on the quality of the pair as well as the routing through the DP.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jclau
Grafter

@Gandalf Whilst my speeds are currently just within estimates, they tend to drop gradually with time. If you cannot do further to improve my line and reduce the noises/errors, I suppose I will have to keep on requesting a DLM reset whenever my speeds get capped. From the figures you quote above, it looks my line has been uncapped, but I would appreciate it very much if you would do another GEA test and report it here. Thank you.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries, it's probably worth noting that if your speeds do get banded there's usually a reason for this. For example your line is erroring or dropping which needs an engineer to investigate otherwise we'd be in a constant loop of resetting.

Since the engineer visit on the 29/01/2019 your line hasn't been banded as per my colleague's post here.

Here's a more up to date test result:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 47.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Target Fix Time  
Fault Report Advised N
Estimated Line Length In Metres 601.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 12:15 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-02-01T12:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 45.1 Mbps 47.2 Mbps 45.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 8.9 Mbps 10.0 Mbps 9.4 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 891.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-02-04T16:47:52.731+00:00 2019-02-04T17:02:52.731+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jclau
Grafter

@Gandalf Thanks very much for all your inputs.  Some good news this morning was that my DL sync rate went up to 52.1 Mb but disappointingly there was just a little increase in the throughput speed, presumably due to much larger amount of errors and re-transmissions occurring at the faster rate. As I now know that the cables from the PCP cabinet to my street  do not travel past the nearby electric substation but instead do a detour to 2 DP cabinets, first one (near house no. 9) serving houses 1 - 32, second one (further away near house no. 36) serving houses 33 - 50 including mine, I suspect the noises are to do with the second cabinet because another house on that cabinet is getting slower speeds than I am.

However, my line is stable and I am not inconvenienced browsing the internet and streaming videos, except some Community pages take some time to load!  Actually I wish there was a facility to disable the DLM so that the sync rates are not lowered due to short bursts of errors.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries and I'm glad to see your speeds have increased.

Regarding the community pages being slow to load, it seems this is a known issue.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet