cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like Plusnet is going to loose another customer.

karlgixer
Grafter

Looks like Plusnet is going to loose another customer.

Well.

Looks like i will be leaving Plusnet after my contract ends.

Its a shame because i have been so happy with the service since moving over from virgin media.

But when i reported a problem and get told an engineer will call and you wait in all day and they dont turn up but then lie to the office saying they did call and there was no fault.

that was the straw that broke to camels back.

16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Looks like Plusnet is going to loose another customer.

That is BT/OR - not Plusnet.

John
karlgixer
Grafter

Well my phone call was to Plusnet so in my eyes its them who i blame.

If i buy a bad item from my local shop i take it back there and not to who made it.

jab1
Legend

If the problem is in the BT network, it is them who would fix it, not Plusnet, and whoever you went with (apart from Virgin), you would have the same issue if you had a fault.

John
karlgixer
Grafter

I was told when i called that the line is testing fine.

But it could be a fault with either Hub or connections from line in box to the Hub.

So i would say its Plusnet and no other.

jab1
Legend

This is getting confusing. If PN arranged an engineer, it would suggest that - at that time - they believed it was a network issue, they would not call an Openreach engineer for problems with the Hub. BUT if the issue was between the local green box and the master socket in your home, then they would call OR, as they are the only people allowed to interfere with the network up to that point,

If that last leg to your master socket could be the problem, then the engineer would need to visit you to carry out internal checks.

I haven't seen what , if anything, has been posted in the forum with regard to this, so can't realistically pass further comment, other than to say - again - the engineer is not employed by PN.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@karlgixer wrote:

Well my phone call was to Plusnet so in my eyes its them who i blame.

If i buy a bad item from my local shop i take it back there and not to who made it.

Hardly a fair comparison.
Plusnet are a seller of an Openreach service, not a physical product. As such they can only report what they have been told, unless of course you expect a Plusnet employee to accompany every Openreach technician to check what they are doing.

It might well be that Openreach checked the line remotely and detected no fault.

If you are prepared to try to help yourself by explaining your issue here then we may be able to give constructive help and advice.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Baldrick1 . Much better explanation than mine.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

The Op's contract is with Plusnet to supply a service, not Openreach. How Plusnet operates it's business is of no concern to the customer.

Baldrick1

@Champnet 

And Plusnet have reported that Openreach have confirmed that the contracted service, that is, delivering an internet connection to the hub is being delivered. This service does not extend to connected devices. Without more information we can assume nothing.

Moderator and Customer

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

@Baldrick1 

And so Plusnet should be talking to their customer to find out just what the problem is. Whether it's external, internal or the bit in the middle.. 

In the meantime, given the wealth of experience on the forums, I fully agree with your comment :

"If you are prepared to try to help yourself by explaining your issue here then we may be able to give constructive help and advice."

karlgixer
Grafter

Ok.

my problem is as follows.

A few nights ago my hub started dropping out.

Light on front went from Solid Blue to Solid Orange then flashing Orange then back to Solid Blue after few mins.

This repeated its self all night and every now and then i would get a message asking me to enter my Admin password for hub.

When i put password in the fault would stop for anything from 20 mins up to a couple of hours (but it is intermittent).

At 8am the following morning i filled a contact me form on the Plusnet page and an Agent phoned me saying he had tested my line and all was ok.

He asked what the problem was i was getting and i told him the above.

The Agent said it sounds like it could be a fault with the equipment and he arranged for an engineer to call on Friday just gone between 8am and 1pm.

I sat in all day but no engineer called what so ever.

When i posted this on my ticket the agent said that the engineer had been and reported back that no fault was found.

Now how can the engineer say no fault found on my equipment when he did not call never mine enter my house.

jab1
Legend

If the problem still exists I would suggest the following (although others might have a different idea): Can you post a screenshot of your Hubs Help Desk page, along with the result of the 'Additional Diagnostics' from: BTW Performance Tester ? This may give other Community members an idea of what else to suggest.

John
Baldrick1

@karlgixer 

The worst kind of fault to find is an intermittent one. There could be an intermittent fault either in your home, or with the BT equipment.

I agree that Openreach should have visited as it could be a problem with your master socket.

The first thing to try is to remove the front from your BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behing you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here, if you have a filtered faceplate then one would have come with your hub. See if that fixes your problem. The next thing to try is a different hub. Do you have one? Any VDSL modem/router from a third party, Plusnet Hub 1/ Hub2 or Smarthub/Smarthub 2 can be configured to work, just come back for setting instructions.

If it's a faceplate problem then you can either buy a replacement filtered faceplate from the likes of Amazon or get Openreach to replace it. It depends on which is the more valuable to you, waste another day or spend £15ish. If the latter note that there are two types, the older type is retained by two screws the newer ones clip on. They are not interchangeable.

Failing that all that you can do is try a new hub. Plusnet staffers can be a bit thin on the ground at weekends but hopefully one will come along and help with this.

I agree that Plusnet customer support could be better but I suspect that it's comparable with other budget providers. At the end of the day unless you move to a cable company then they all use the BT network, managed by Openreach.

Moderator and Customer

mrmitch85
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Not to mention the fact that, (assuming it is a line fault), the same issue is going to manifest itself with whatever provider you decide to move to next (Except virgin) and you'll still end up with the same Openreach engineers as with Plusnet.