Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new router

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Looking for a new router

The Huawei 288 FTTC cabinet will cope with both ECI and Huawei Openreach Modem. No difference.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Whoops, just seen I have already commented  Crazy
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Goldenfibre,
I understand the Huawei 288 FTTC cabinet is compatible with both ECI and Huawei modems, but there seems to be some posts that suggest the performance might be a little better if modem chipsets are matched.
You stated no difference. Are you saying that matching chipsets has no benefit?
Thanks.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Openreach Engineer gave me last year was ECI Modem. Sync rate was 79.9Mbps / 19.9Mbps throughput speed are 73/18 then I swapped over with unlocked Huawei modem and it seeing sync rate was 79.9Mbps /19.9Mbps and throughput speed was 73/18. Both the same. But on the attainable rate the unlocked modem is rate higher than ECI modem.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Goldenfibre - useful information. I think when I come to purchase a combined modem/router I will look more for other features rather than get hung up on matching modem chipsets.
Thanks again.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

lol... no I wont profess to be an expert.  I'm not any where near clever enough to pull things to pieces, get involved in the electronics or hack routers, but I'd like to think I know what I want out of a router and what to look for when it comes to performance. Smiley
If you dont have a modem/router which tells you the type of DSLAM is attached at the other end then the easiest way is probably going looking at your fttc cab.   The large Huawei cabs are easy to identify, for the smaller cabs, look for the air vents.  Ignore the shape of the top of the cab as that can be angled or flat for all of them.  
however you mentioned it syncing a good bit lower because it used a different modem chipset to your cabinet.

No Im on an ECI cab, yet the BCMs still perform far better on my line.  The vast majority of people on my forum also seem to do better with BCMs than Lantiqs (used by ECI) regardless what type of cab they are on.  
The TPlink TD-W9980 contains a Lantiq VRX-268 chipset which is the same as in the ECI modem and the HH.  These are good solid stable chipsets, but the BCMs - particulary the BCM6368 -  do seem to have a slight edge for most lines regardless of cab type.  
The BCM63168 works even better for some lines increasing sync speed & stability in the  majority of cases.  But I reserve reservation on this only because we have seen a couple of noisy burst type lines where it will give more errors than a BCM6368, the jury is out on this atm as to whether its a more advanced chipset and it expects G.INP to already be in use.
It does seem to depend on the type of noise experienced on the line so all I can say is that most lines it works better but you will have to suck it and see in case you do have a line which gets a heck of a lot of burst type noise.  On my line it works perfectly and better than any other and its now the only chipset that allows me the full 80/20 sync.

There is a filter built into that MK3 socket, which is connected to the line (even though I am not using it). So my line basically has 2 filters connected now.

I shouldnt think so, its a low pass filter.. so in other words the filter is only applied to anything coming out of the telephone side.  Shouldnt make any difference to the top socket.
As regards to whether it should have another full MK3 faceplate thats up for debate but it seems to be quite commonplace with FTTC installs fitted by contractors. The contractor who fitted my fttc did the same thing and ripped out my old LJ2.   What I wasnt too happy about though is that he also then looped back to the master. ie this.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: goldenfibre
Openreach Engineer gave me last year was ECI Modem. Sync rate was 79.9Mbps / 19.9Mbps throughput speed are 73/18 then I swapped over with unlocked Huawei modem and it seeing sync rate was 79.9Mbps /19.9Mbps and throughput speed was 73/18. Both the same.

Of course they will gave you the same sync speed - because 80/20 is the maximum sync.     Your line is short and you have surplus SNRm
On a very short line you wont notice any difference.  This isnt the case though once you drop below 80/20.
But on the attainable rate the unlocked modem is rate higher than ECI modem.

So therefore the HG612 modem is better than the ECI modem on your line. If crosstalk hits and your speeds drop further (which it will unless BT pull out vectoring pdq) ...  THEN you will find yourself in the same position as me and many others.. in that the BCM modem performs better than the Lantiq (ECI).
Ive lost 30Mbps now to crosstalk...  and currently only the BCMs allow me to sync at  full 80/20.  With a Lantiq Im down to about 75Mb 😕
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Very interesting Kitz. Can you tell me when is your first time FTTC activated and how long before it drop below 80Meg due to crosstalk?
Mine was installed and activated last year on the February 2014 by a proper openreach engineer with his openreach van. He replaced a whole new master socket called MK2 and cut shortern line cable from the terminal box in the cupboard outside to inside the hallway socket.
Start off with attainable rate of 131Meg down and now reduced to 90Meg because of SNR reduced from 16.2dB to 8.9dB.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for all the replies - very interesting stuff.
And thanks Kitz for your input on the additional MK3 extension box.
I have a theory (which may be flawed), that says no filter is perfect, and will attenuate some of the signal even at frequencies it is not supposed to. I know the filter is designed not to impact the VDSL signal, but my guess is that it can't be perfect and a little attenuation will take place. The attenuation may be so small as to not make a visible difference to the VDSL stats (that is the bit I am not sure about).
If this is the case, then having more filters means more attenuation. This is my theory behind the extra MK3 filter at the VDSL extension not helping.
I think I may just order an RJ11 faceplate this coming week, and fit that in place of the extra MK3 box. If nothing else, it will rule out the extra filter having any effect. Of course it may make no difference, in which case I just spent money on an RJ11 faceplate for nothing Smiley
Interesting stuff though - I have learned a lot from this thread.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I be very interesting if MK3 is better than MK2? But, my new socket cannot replaced as openreach engineer locked telephone cables inside the socket. So, I never touch that for a year.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Very interesting Kitz. Can you tell me when is your first time FTTC activated and how long before it drop below 80Meg due to crosstalk?

I wasn't first on my cab - I was previously happy with adsl2+ annex M  24/2.6 Mbps so I was in no to move rush.  It was Sky's take over of BE* that pushed me. 
I was 25th and the cab which had already been active for a couple of months when I moved back to PN in Jul 2013.  Without going back and checking exact details, my max attainable was 108Mbps at one point using the HG612 modem.  I also gained an additional 3.5Mb on top of that by using the Zyxel.  So it took 18 months to lose 30Mb to crosstalk.    If I had been first on the cab, then it would have been a lot more.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

I be very interesting if MK3 is better than MK2?

Some light reading for you max. SSFP MK3 - Theres some results in there that people have done comparing it to the MK2.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Thanks Kitz but it pointless to buy MK3. I think it will be no difference really. If Openreach Engineer put MK2 last year then he probably know the best one suit my line is MK2. Otherwise he would put MK3 instead.
JasonMassey
Grafter

Quote from: krobison17
It is a 2830 I am using at the moment and it is my third Vigor, I'm just not as happy with the reliability as I once was.

My 2860n has honestly been totally solid including WiFi.  The only negative I can say is it's a little conservative on connection speed compared to the BT modem.  I estimate about 5% slower but not more.  It is very stable on connection however.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thanks Kitz but it pointless to buy MK3. I think it will be no difference really. If Openreach Engineer put MK2 last year then he probably know the best one suit my line is MK2. Otherwise he would put MK3 instead.

The Mk3 plate wasn't widely available to engineers last year when you had your Fibre installed, so it has nothing to do with what he thought best. If you had your install now, you'd get the Mk3. The MK3 has an improved Common-mode filter, how that will affect individual lines will depend on the line and it's own interference issues. Some lines will see no difference. As yours is so short, I doubt you'd see any difference anyway.
Quote from: kitz
There is a filter built into that MK3 socket, which is connected to the line (even though I am not using it). So my line basically has 2 filters connected now.

I shouldnt think so, its a low pass filter.. so in other words the filter is only applied to anything coming out of the telephone side.  Shouldnt make any difference to the top socket.

Just in case there is any misunderstanding here, the common-mode filter in the Mk2 & 3 are on the input side of the plate and therefore filters the Modem DSL socket (and it's IDC terminals for any extension) as well as the phone side.
Quote from: kitz
.........The contractor who fitted my fttc did the same thing and ripped out my old LJ2.   What I wasnt too happy about though is that he also then looped back to the master. ie this.

What's that nasty flat (non-twisted) cable doing at the back of that socket kitz  Shocked